Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

hey @Sympathy-For-The-Denim - my 2268 were tight as hell on top the instep (for one of the feet) - they stretched out eventually, but did get some minor cracks in the leather from the process... wished I'd used mink oil earlier to ease the leather... can't imagine the klondike is any stiffer than what is used on the 2268? a few uncomfortable weeks but now great fit; very happy with these boots... confirming @Ar_thor's proposition: a tight-ish boot loosens up into a nice firm hand[foot-]shake rather than a vice-like torture device

other topic; same boot; managed to drop something heavy and sharp (an axe no less) on my foot: toughness of the boot saved my foot; now a sharp indent, not quite a full puncture though - a few mm off, in the leather; any advice from you good people for leather cement or other processes to fix this? preferably sourcable within Europe?

IMG_1882.jpg

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

On 5/1/2020 at 1:59 AM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

hi folks, has anyone succsessfully stretched a pair of Red Wing engineer 2966 klondike widewise at the instep, right where the bootleg part and the foot part of the leather are connected, just where the buckelbelt sits? My boots fit perfectly lengthwise and hurt after few minutes for the are too snug at this part. many thanks in advance for any comment

I've been struggling with the same spot with my Wesco Mister Lous's. I tried just a regular shoe tree to but that wasn't enough so put a sock on it and wedged it in and then pulled the strap as tight as possible. I've only been able to wear them for a few hours at a time. Hopefully they hit that sweet spot soon.

1 hour ago, not too tight said:

I've been struggling with the same spot with my Wesco Mister Lous's. I tried just a regular shoe tree to but that wasn't enough so put a sock on it and wedged it in and then pulled the strap as tight as possible. I've only been able to wear them for a few hours at a time. Hopefully they hit that sweet spot soon.

There are probably a lot of ways to break in boots and it's also very probable that my methods won't work for anyone else. However, if I have a snug boot I often start off by wearing it with double (or triple) dress socks. This will give you some extra volume and cushion while not being too harsh on the leather. The good thing about about the double socks is that it'll give less friction helping out with blisters until the heel is softened up a bit. It's actually an old hikers trick I learned back in the day where you have one thick and one thin wool sock.

You can also use some kind of product to help speed up the process (and spare the leather from too much strain) like mink oil or a leather softener - Saphir has one which is supposedly good and can be applied in specific places.

Otherwise there's always the cobbler that can help you stretch them a little. They have equipment to put an equal consistent pressure on and can add a softener to ease strain as well.

It's also important to actually keep wearing the boots pretty regularly as the sole slowly will mold allowing for a better and often roomier fit.

Edited by Ar_thor

1 hour ago, not too tight said:

You could’ve sent them a fit sheet and have them make the same thing fitted to your feet, cheaper. The fit sheet is the cheat code to a better fitting, cheaper price boot.  Whenever I see a brand or store collab with Wesco or White’s, I just make the same thing in the boot configuration site and it ends up being cheaper.  It’s worth it trust me.  Your feet might not even be made for MP toe tbh.  Remember that next time my friend when going for your next Wesco!  

Then again, my feet are funny so it works better for me to go this route instead of buying stock.  If you have similar fitting problems with your feet, it’s worth looking into custom fit.  

Edited by mlwdp

Made a updated change on Tuesday.  Went for a look of a work boot with the natural edge and raptor sole.

+Single-Tone:Black Horsehide
  +9" Height
  +Raptor Black
  +Waxed Edges
  +One Top Strap (standard)
  +Standard Length
  +Nickel Ox Roller Top Buckles
  +Buckled Instep Straps
  +Standard Length Instep Strap
  +Nickel Ox Roller Instep Buckles
  +Lightweight Black Vintage Upper Stitching
  +White Outsole Stitching 
  +Black Tie Domain Leather Insert

Thinking about ordering a pair of Truman boots for the first time. They've got an MTO with some nice looking horsehide going.  I've seen both good and bad about them on the interweb; wondering if anyone here in the trusted group has had experience with them.  And especially if anyone has owned or handled their horsehide from Maryam tannery in Italy.

Alright y’all, tell me about your experience with the Russell Moccasin Clays Sporting chukka. I’ve seen these a lot lately and like the chunky look of them. 

I had a pair of  Arrow Mocs back in the early 2000's they're a lovely thick yet supple, traditional hand stitched Moc, with 100% rubber crepe

IMG_4071

...i think the hair is burned from the hide which caused them to stink out my spare room... after a few months i just had to move them on, shame because they were lovely.

IMG_4071

Edited by Double 0 Soul

On 5/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

thank you guys for encouraging me, so will try to break em in with some more effort and sacrifice

@bartlebyyphonics maybe "liquid leather" could  help out!? or just live with the patina

hey! thanks for response: def. don't mind patina - just wondering which is best product to stop the almost-puncture becoming something more...

@Broark - you know I love the lamarie chukka... got it off the shelf rather than full bespoke - half-size down as recommended by the seller (& as per red wing pecos and engineers - so for UK10.5 went US11): found a little snug in width but super for a summer shoe: like the clarks wallabee on ultimate superhero upgrade... [I mostly wear mine with more relatively more tapered hem; ie tender 130 / lvc '76 rather than monster hems... but that is no hard rule; here with tcb20s too] - unlike clarks mocs the vibram sole gives real weight - leather quality very good too - the suede feels like a quasi-roughout - very neppy and sturdy...

QY7YG1rh.jpg

Atm1Hgvh.jpg

@mlwdp thanks for the ig share there: the knockabout is also a righteous looking boot! that would be my second pair...

3 minutes ago, fre-co said:

Anyone going to talk me out of buying a pair of lighten donkey puncher boots?? 

Can't say I will - extremely comfortable boot despite it's chunkiness.

Edit: Providing we're talking Lofgrens

Edited by Ar_thor

6 hours ago, fre-co said:

Anyone going to talk me out of buying a pair of lighten donkey puncher boots?? 

nope... would be interested in response...

@Maynard Friedman you may laugh about rspca - check the actual urban slang on the term donkey punch: it's...

will be very interested to hear forum's thoughts on difference between Wesco Jobmaster, Onderhound LTT, JL Donkey Puncher, White's Cutter... 

[seems the donkey puncher has the most unfortunate name, the highest heel, perhaps the sharpest stitching?]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Edited for stupid auto correct. 

eastman have a lofgren logger - is it the same as the donkey puncher? Or any differences to make it ‘exclusive’?

at least if you buy it from Eastman, you don’t have to call it a donkey puncher or get in trouble with the rspca.. 

I was looking at the whites 350 on bakers new website. Look good but I can’t be bothered with import duties and waiting on customs. 

Here are my Tricker's Woodstock (4497S last) in size 9 UK, fitting 5. I honestly don't know much about leather and shoes, so don't expect any technical write-ups à la @dudewuttheheck haha 

This is there Olivvia deerskin leather, which is quite different from my other leather shoes. It's really soft, but the shoe is still structurally sound. I'm unsure how they'll hd up in rainy weather, so I'll have to test run them when I'm able to go out for a walk. I'll wait a while to see whether I'd like to have visible eyelets or not, but so far, so good. I'm really happy with how these fit! For more extra sizing info, I am a 10D US on a Brannock device, 9.5 in Lofgren engineers, 9.5D US in Red Wing number 8 last, and 10.5D US in New Balance.

20200506_145024.thumb.jpg.356462af1fc4290f0dd18b2fd1ee7f97.jpg

On 5/3/2020 at 6:29 PM, Broark said:

Alright y’all, tell me about your experience with the Russell Moccasin Clays Sporting chukka. I’ve seen these a lot lately and like the chunky look of them. 

I have a pair of similar Russells, a Nepenthes collab from about 10 years ago with a Christy sole. Two points: The toe box is not huge, and the leather is burly, so don’t expect meaningful stretch. I’d suggest TTS or going up a half size if you have long toes.

12 hours ago, fre-co said:

Edited for stupid auto correct. 

eastman have a lofgren logger - is it the same as the donkey puncher? Or any differences to make it ‘exclusive’?

at least if you buy it from Eastman, you don’t have to call it a donkey puncher or get in trouble with the rspca.. 

I was looking at the whites 350 on bakers new website. Look good but I can’t be bothered with import duties and waiting on customs. 

I'd say they're the same boot apart from the tag.

Eastwest have a pair of Smoke Jumpers that looks very similar to the Cutter - if you're in europe that is. They're nice, similar to the Punchers but the heel looks a little lower.

Speaking of White's - what do they compare to in quality?

Edited by Ar_thor

I've had several pairs of white's (mainly Semi-Dress) and the quality is very good. I have never had a complaint about the workmanship personally. Quality-wise they are close to Wesco, having owned both (although wesco may have the edge). 

Those smokejumpers on eastwest are nice looking. I would jump on those if they were black (although brown dress leather is also very tempting). Does anyone know how the smokejumper last compared to SD last? I'm probably an E is SD last.

1 hour ago, fre-co said:

I've had several pairs of white's (mainly Semi-Dress) and the quality is very good. I have never had a complaint about the workmanship personally. Quality-wise they are close to Wesco, having owned both (although wesco may have the edge). 

Those smokejumpers on eastwest are nice looking. I would jump on those if they were black (although brown dress leather is also very tempting). Does anyone know how the smokejumper last compared to SD last? I'm probably an E is SD last.

I found the SJs to be much more narrow in the toe box than the SD last.  It's a little surprising as they look chunkier, but to me they were like two widths narrower...  Just in the toe box.