Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

How much space do you guys leave between your longest toe and end of the shoe?

Edit: I guess it would depend on the last shape, but I mean for shoes that don't have an overly elongated or tapered toe.

Edited by propellerbeanie

For me it varies, depending on last shape, I guess around 3/8" - 3/4"? This coming from one who doesn't wear conventional footwear very often, as I've become accustomed to minimalist shoes (which is the main reason I don't post WAYWT pics, as my footwear game is weak). There are many other factors in determining a good fit, not just overall length - width, height and length of your arch, length of you toes, volume of instep, size of your ankle, and if considering boots, size of you lower leg above ankle. Length is actually the least important, IMO. Width, volume, and where the shoe/boot bends in relation to the ball of your foot are most important. I usually size up 1/2 - 1 size to get enough width and volume, and they end up being long in the toe, which drives me nuts. 

5 hours ago, edmond said:

how much are a  pair of those hound shoes  thats indonesian made?

The Onderhoud boots run from somewhere in the high $200 or low $300 range for Indonesian leather uppers to around $450-$500 for most boots with Italian leather and then around $650 or so for engineers in Italian leather.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, dudewuttheheck said:

I've never personally cared about my boots being fully lined. It makes no difference in comfort to me so why bother with it? I know it would have added cost to my Wesco engineers so I didn't go for it and they have never felt uncomfortable due to that. 

I always figured the reason was due to being able to wear engineers year round as the leather lining would add too much discomfort during the summer months when wearing them.  

7 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I always figured the reason was due to being able to wear engineers year round as the leather lining would add too much discomfort during the summer months when wearing them.  

I'm actually not sure as I don't own any fully lined engineers. I have other boots that are fully lined, but none of them are engineers. I guess they could be a little warmer if lined, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make. 

25 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I'm actually not sure as I don't own any fully lined engineers. I have other boots that are fully lined, but none of them are engineers. I guess they could be a little warmer if lined, but I don't know how much of a difference it would make. 

About two years ago when I was configuring my Boss boot, I sent some pics to Wesco to identify if the engineers had leather linings in them.  Without even seeing the insides, Chris was able to identify which boots were lined or not, based on their rigid structures and shrugging of the shaft with and without wear.  I thought that was pretty neat at the time.  I personally wonder if adding leather linings add more time to breaking engineers in and make them stiffer, less flexible.

Standard and Strange is displaying knuckle dragger Boss with leather lining as well.

14 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

About two years ago when I was configuring my Boss boot, I sent some pics to Wesco to identify if the engineers had leather linings in them.  Without even seeing the insides, Chris was able to identify which boots were lined or not, based on their rigid structures and shrugging of the shaft with and without wear.  I thought that was pretty neat at the time.  I personally wonder if adding leather linings add more time to breaking engineers in and make them stiffer, less flexible.

Standard and Strange is displaying knuckle dragger Boss with leather lining as well.

I would imagine it can add more rigidity, but I think it depends on other factors as well. Both of my Clinch engineers are significantly less collapsed in the shaft than my other engineers even with a similar amount of wear. Both Clinch leathers are quite rigid/stiff comparatively. Plus, the brown HH Clinch boots are only 9in tall rather than 11 and I think that makes a difference too.

When I still had my Clinch Latigo engineers (also unlined), the shafts almost looked brand new when compared to my Lofgrens at the time even though they were both worn just as much as each other. That Latigo leather was crazy.

1 hour ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Interesting how the rubber sole tapers down in the back. I haven't seen that very much. I wonder what soles they are using.

Just Vibram 269 on the Horsehide and steerhide models.  It’s the first time I’ve seen a brown version of the sole.

I personally like Addict’s leather jackets because their sizing is friendly i.e. they offer bigger sizes.  Butterscotch in Long Beach stocks their clothes.  

1315CFB1-1E15-4C87-B300-56287BD1C5F6.jpeg

E969E7E7-6DDD-46D3-9D4D-BA0861A16050.jpeg

I was a fan right up to the point i saw pink suede :wacko: .. the cow hide engineers and lace ups do look nice tho.

Ive got a 20odd yr old flannel shirt at work by a company called 'Addict Clothing' i always thought that it was a British brand? it's gotta be a different company unless they sold the label as many do.

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

@Ar_thor they look really great ... but RDT laces are consistently shit, I don’t know what their problem is.

It's a bit shite actually. I know this goes for a lot of higher end footwear but when you pay those kinds of prices for footwear the least you should expect is that they invest in a pair of decent laces.

That being said, the laces do look nice and its a great look for that particular shoe.

10 minutes ago, Ar_thor said:

It's a bit shite actually. I know this goes for a lot of higher end footwear but when you pay those kinds of prices for footwear the least you should expect is that they invest in a pair of decent laces.

That being said, the laces do look nice and its a great look for that particular shoe.

Interesting...

Don't have that experience with mine,

default laces held up well through ~a year or so of occasional wear.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, redragon said:

Interesting...

Don't have that experience with mine,

default laces held up well through ~a year or so of occasional wear.

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe I'm too rough with my laces but I just pulled on them and they snapped.

Continuing the POV shots of the boots I'm wearing. Red Wing X Indigofera Climber boot. These were a bitch to break in, especially on the outside of the foot where there's a lot of leather and a lot of seams coming together. I've worn them with the classic RW laces until now but recently switched to leather laces which is a huge improvement on the overall look. They're not super comfy yet but I think we'll get there in the end. It's nice to have some tall lace-up boots around for when the weather is shite - like today.

IMG_20200430_155804_Bokeh.jpg

hi folks, has anyone succsessfully stretched a pair of Red Wing engineer 2966 klondike widewise at the instep, right where the bootleg part and the foot part of the leather are connected, just where the buckelbelt sits? My boots fit perfectly lengthwise and hurt after few minutes for the are too snug at this part. many thanks in advance for any comment

20 minutes ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

hi folks, has anyone succsessfully stretched a pair of Red Wing engineer 2966 klondike widewise at the instep, right where the bootleg part and the foot part of the leather are connected, just where the buckelbelt sits? My boots fit perfectly lengthwise and hurt after few minutes for the are too snug at this part. many thanks in advance for any comment

I'd say there's a reasonably good chance this part will stretch but it's depending on where the seams are and so on. If the boot fits well otherwise I'd say go for it. If it doesn't mold to your foot as expected you can always have a cobbler give it a nudge with a stretching device. It's worth to remember that footwear that isn't made especially for your foot seldom will have a perfect fit. People tend to forget this and just size up, forgetting that the leather and sole will mold to your foot giving a better fit.