Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

2 minutes ago, Broark said:

That's a good point. No real validation needed, just followers. #influenced

The whole influencing this is so weird. I thought Indigoshrimp's article on it was quite good. https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2019/07/16/reflections-on-denim-influencers-the-hobbyist-perspective/ 

I vaguely remember reading that article awhile back.
That's why I mostly just follow Japanese dudes on Instagram, just pictures of jeans/boots/whatever and I don't really know what they're on about.
I thought the Ole' Shanks boots were made by Brass as well, they were promoted by them in the early days of the brand. That's how I found the account I think.
They look like nice boots.

4 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

The whole influencing this is so weird. I thought Indigoshrimp's article on it was quite good. https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2019/07/16/reflections-on-denim-influencers-the-hobbyist-perspective/ 

Sorry Jake, don't take it personally but you are walking a fine line there. Your content is borderline influencer material. 

Not trolling, just my opinion.

7 hours ago, Geeman said:

Sorry Jake, don't take it personally but you are walking a fine line there. Your content is borderline influencer material. 

Not trolling, just my opinion.

6 hours ago, ecsong187 said:

Jake I thought you were an influencer? Haha Not to be rude just my honest observation. 

You guys aren't trolling or being rude at all. Totally fair observations. 

In my opinion, it depends on how you look at it. I would hate to think that I am as bad as a stereotypical "influencer," but yeah I do things that would fit the description a bit. Still, I think compared to what a lot of "influencers" do I am not even close to as bad as them. I'm not covered in Taylor Stitch, Thursday boots, and cheap alcohol advertisements. Just because I show my socks with my boots in some posts doesn't put me on that low of a level IMO.

Of course, you could argue that I am so used to seeing the really bad "influencers" that I have become more like them without noticing. On the other hand, I'm just posting pictures of my outfits, my clothes, and my boots on Instagram. We do that on forums too. I will fully admit that I used to post things that I didn't want to just to play the Instagram game, but I don't do that anymore. 

Plus, my genuine belief is that the amount of people that influence trends and purchases go far beyond larger instagram accounts. This forum for example influences things pretty strongly and has for a very long time.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

I think we need to define what an influencer is, I suppose.

Is it just someone who has 10k+ followers and posts photos of moc toes, slim tapered jeans, and cuff checks with Chup socks? (IIRC it was Vintage Engineer Boots who first did the cuff check.) Is it someone who posts photos every day and does just about anything for maximum engagement to promote their own personal brand (if so, are dental assistants posting TikTok videos influencers?)? Again, there are people who fall into that category who wouldn’t be classed as influencers. Is it anyone who tries to be like selvedge1? 

Or is the implication that they do the aforementioned but that they’re also on the take and have very little knowledge of the products in question? I wouldn’t say Jake falls into the latter category. Indigoshrimp defines it as when a hobbyist passes over into the realm of marketer, I’m assuming this means directly being paid by brands to market an item. Again, that wouldn’t apply to Jake here and not even to a number of popular accounts IME.

I think it’s interesting though, we can usually spot the typical bad influencer, even though it’s not been articulated what it is that makes one (again, as far as I know), but now we’ve encountered a grey zone.

Edited by Iron Horse

Contacted Lynch Silversmith for some silver Wesco boss buckles:

Thank you for your message.

But I’m not able to sale only silver buckle.

We have stock of Wesco x Lynch 3rd model

BLACK: 81/2D,81/2E,9E,91/2E

If you need to order it, ask to Wesco Japan.

We hope you are best and safe health.

Regards,

Tatsuya.

I tried.  Hopefully that means another model will be coming from them. :(

The brand I. E Taylor Stitch vs CSF is irrelevant. For me your content feels...... forced/ staged. Your pics don't come across as WAYWT  but more as what carefully planned photo shoots if that makes sense?  Maybe because your style isn't my cup of tea, (and of course mine isn't yours) but it all feels a bit. ..... curated?

Big hat? Check

Custom boots? Check

Rare leather? Check.

Look at some other WAYWT pics, Flash popping down the shops in a great hooded sweat ( @Flash if I buy that sweat you are officially an influencer :biggrin: ) Broark on the porch, etc. In comparison yours feel like a photo shoot. 

I won't even pretend I don't think about what I'm going to wear or what brands I have on so trying not to come across as  hypocritical. 

My opinion is obviously irrelevant in the grand scheme of things Jake and I honestly mean no offence, I'm just a random nerd from a denim forum that wears different clothes to you.

6 minutes ago, Geeman said:

The brand I. E Taylor Stitch vs CSF is irrelevant. For me your content feels...... forced/ staged. Your pics don't come across as WAYWT  but more as what carefully planned photo shoots if that makes sense?  Maybe because your style isn't my cup of tea, (and of course mine isn't yours) but it all feels a bit. ..... curated?

Big hat? Check

Custom boots? Check

Rare leather? Check.

Look at some other WAYWT pics, Flash popping down the shops in a great hooded sweat ( @Flash if I buy that sweat you are officially an influencer :biggrin: ) Broark on the porch, etc. In comparison yours feel like a photo shoot. 

I won't even pretend I don't think about what I'm going to wear or what brands I have on so trying not to come across as  hypocritical. 

My opinion is obviously irrelevant in the grand scheme of things Jake and I honestly mean no offence, I'm just a random nerd from a denim forum that wears different clothes to you.

Hey that's totally fair. However, I will point out that the negative connotations of "influencer" are not really what you are talking about.

Saying my pictures feel curated is more fair and makes more sense, but even then I will disagree somewhat. I wear the same clothes to work every day even when I do not take any pictures at all. The only difference is that I take the hats off and I don't wear jeans or t shirts. I wear the leather jackets even and yes, it stood out to everyone, but co-workers have gotten used to it now. This is literally just how I like to dress. I completely understand if it looks fake or forced to you, but this is me pretty much every day (except less so now thank to quarantine). Even when nobody on the internet will see me or even when hardly any people in real life will see me, this is how I dress. I put a lot into my outfits and perhaps that does look too costume-y or something at times, but it's genuinely what I like. 

Maybe it's also that I use a camera to take my photos instead of a phone too. I think that's what you are sort of referring to when comparing me to Flash and Broark and I totally get that too.

I personally like the more compressed looking images that my camera and lens combo gives me as well as the bokeh, but again, I completely understand why it doesn't look as natural as other people's photos on here because... it isn't. I'm bad at posing (obviously), I use a camera, and I rarely dress super casually. 

At the end of the day, I think the clothing style is a big part of it. This is really how I like to dress. I go to grocery stores, the bank, to dinner, etc looking like this. Is that weird? I suppose, but I'm comfortable with it. This is how I "pop down to the shops" quite often. Though as you may have seen recently in a conversation I had with Broark, I do once in a while wear double denim and sneakers and next time I wear that, I will post that. However, that is absolutely an exception and what you see here is my norm. I actually really dislike hoodies for example. I haven't owned one in years and never plan on owning one again. Even the sunglasses aren't for show. I never go outside without a pair of sunglasses on. I hate the sun :P

As I believe I may have said before, pretentious ultracrepidarianism does indeed seem to be the internet's order of the day, running in tandem with an overwheening phronemophobia, ideophobia, capitose introjection, persiflage, schadenfreude and (usually) a completely unjustified belief in one's own flexanimousity. The overall effect is utterly floccinaucinihilipilificatiary, as the more of the internet one encounters, the greater is the sense of abject anophelosis - especially in the omphaloskepsisary world of blogging.

7 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

As I believe I may have said before, pretentious ultracrepidarianism does indeed seem to be the internet's order of the day, running in tandem with an overwheening phronemophobia, ideophobia, capitose introjection, persiflage, schadenfreude and (usually) a completely unjustified belief in one's own flexanimousity. The overall effect is utterly floccinaucinihilipilificatiary, as the more of the internet one encounters, the greater is the sense of abject anophelosis - especially in the omphaloskepsisary world of blogging.

I had a stroke reading this

45 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Nosemonkey?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/mar/22/theproblemwithbloggers

Edit: Bartles beat me to it!

Edited by Iron Horse

@bartlebyyphonics @Iron Horse No - not me guys ... I just remembered how ridiculously funny this was and bookmarked it. I love that it’s self deprecating while ramming home an excellent point and tearing a strip of journalists who defend their ‘work’ by attacking ‘amateurs’

I think it’s quite simple. If you write a blog with the intention on giving opinion then you’re influencing - if your blog is one full of (demonstrable) fact you’re not influencing ... although you may yet influence by education.

Edited by Duke Mantee

1 hour ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Sorry had to.do it...

. I wear the same clothes to work every day even when I do not take any pictures at all. The only difference is that I take the hats off and I don't wear jeans or t shirts.

You wear the same clothes to work except the hat and Jean's..?:happy:

Just trolling now. It's all good Jake, you do.you baby girl :P

Anyway, back to.photos off our old shoes:ph34r2:

1 minute ago, Geeman said:

Sorry had to.do it...

. I wear the same clothes to work every day even when I do not take any pictures at all. The only difference is that I take the hats off and I don't wear jeans or t shirts.

You wear the same clothes to work except the hat and Jean's..?:happy:

Just trolling now. It's all good Jake, you do.you baby girl :P

Anyway, back to.photos off our old shoes:ph34r2:

You've never worn just a leather jacket, a pair of boots, and sunglasses? You should try it some time. :P 

edit 

Made some adjustments.  I’m saddened that Lynch does NOT make individual silver buckles for sale. :(  They helped inspire this boot makeup.  I’m excited to see what these will look like as these will be my second Boss boot.

+Single-Tone:Black Horsehide
  +9" Height
  +Raptor Black
  +Dye Soles and Heels Black
  +One Top Strap (standard)
  +Standard Length
  +Nickel Ox Roller Top Buckles
  +Buckled Instep Straps
  +Standard Length Instep Strap
  +Nickel Ox Roller Instep Buckles
  +Lightweight Black Vintage Upper Stitching
  +Black Outsole Stitching 
  +Random Leather Insert

Edited by mlwdp

Any particular reason why most on the board here do not do leather linings inside engineer boots?  Just curious as I’ve seen this common here and on other forums/reddit.

Edited by mlwdp

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

Any particular reason why most on the board here do not do leather linings inside engineer boots?  Just curious as I’ve seen this common here and on other forums/reddit.

I've never personally cared about my boots being fully lined. It makes no difference in comfort to me so why bother with it? I know it would have added cost to my Wesco engineers so I didn't go for it and they have never felt uncomfortable due to that.