Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Gokey Botte Sauvage 9” laceup field boots originally made in St. Paul, MN. Genuine moccasin construction, hand lasted, hand-welted and hand sewn in all critical areas. The foot portion made from 8-9 oz leather and  leather lined. Gokey were bought by Orvis who closed the St Paul store in 1990. To order from Gokey, you made a tracing of your foot, did measurements of width of foot across ball, instep and at heel. Lyle MacRostie worked for the original Gokey brand and today he and his wife still make boots and shoes  as he did for Gokey. Find them bigfoottrail.com., check them out

These are a pair of original Gokey Botte Sauvage lace up field boots 

DFF72476-5FF3-49CB-B2F2-DEAAF7829D79.thumb.jpeg.62b09f0431513792854f8e5cc203f9a7.jpeg

Original Gokey label
38CE281E-79E8-438E-8F0E-2CE47731737E.thumb.jpeg.bb292ff28dfed1fad7e7b4820d242f4d.jpeg

Orvis Gokey field boots which I’ve owned and beaten for years

B8103E33-586E-4D07-A7B7-24941B4290BB.thumb.jpeg.15606bb7e6ca066a97262fe008a91085.jpeg

MacRostie 9” Highland field boots ordered from them a number of years ago and worn bummin’ around

FC6DEAE3-F95F-4AAA-A00B-BCFBC62DBAFE.thumb.jpeg.865100be31bfecb0fbd311832f09f1e0.jpeg

3F7E21FD-030C-4557-98F2-72D6B20B91A7.jpeg

Edited by lance

@Broark, Lofgren's standard laces are just super flimsy. They look and feel great, which is why I've been inclined to keep using them up 'til now, but they really don't last half as long as they should—even going through eyelets. I've tried both the Boondocker and the Combat Boot laces, and the Boondocker laces definitely last longer but still fall apart fast. Ready to switch to something less pretty but more functional.

edit: Thanks for the recs. I've used Red Wing's before and haven't liked them so much, but I do remember Wolverine's being fine. Will look into ordering some.

Edited by julian-wolf

@julian-wolf yeah they're incredibly worthless when it comes to durability. I haven't owned the boots for 6 months and I've gone through two sets of laces already.
My buddy suggested these, no experience with them myself but might give them a shot: https://www.guardedgoods.com/collections/shoe-laces 

I've been using & resomending Shoe Laces Express round waxed boots laces for years now. They look great, are the just the right diameter. However, they won't last forever. Far better than almost any stock shoe/boot lace. They will eventually get nicks and break. If you want something really tough and long lasting, look to kevlar/aramid laces. SLE has lots of products. 

Other options I've looked at: 

Ironlace: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AK9EWLO/?coliid=I7TLJ7SP2YIX2&colid=3NJTFZ8Y5R5WR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it 

Obenauf's: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9BHHTK/?coliid=I1MXAEL25K5AGF&colid=3NJTFZ8Y5R5WR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it 

On 4/13/2020 at 1:45 PM, Broark said:

Just received my Arpenteur Paraboot Cambriole, impressed with how comfortable they are.
I know the Ghillie lacing system won't be to everyone's tastes but I think they give them just enough funkiness.
And no, I didn't put these plants out there just for some photos of my shoes. My girlfriend set them out to get some sun. :D
bkG2DB9.jpg
Dq6C140.jpg
291bs4V.jpg
UuKlhG9.jpg
qEHbNk1.jpg
tVdkyOD.jpg
JVaLcxt.jpg
wZ9v1Qf.jpg
fbY4BT9.jpgmIGyl0M.jpg

These remind me of Mondo Creepers for some reason

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

@dudewuttheheckIs your Attractions engineers the same size as your Wesco Boss? True to size?

They're the same size as my Wesco, but my Attractions fit me more comfortable. I am a 10.5 on a brannock and I have a 10 in both of those boots, but the Wesco are slightly tight in the front especially on the left foot. The Attractions are not loose at all and if you're a wider foot, I would personally think you should go TTS. I can't say any of this for sure though, sizing is difficult.

I forgot to post these Flame Panda boots. He only sells on Instagram now, but he's a bootmaker from China who imports basically all of his materials and hand welts all his boots and on this pair (and I think all his boots) does hand sewing on the outsoles as well. His moc toes and monkey boots are my favorite so I got his monkey boots and I like them a lot. He does  a triple sole on the front which tapers down to a single leather midsole with a full rubber sole in the middle before the heel stack. Quality is overall really good. The midsole/outsole stitching is very dense and quite clean for being done by hand, but not as clean as White Kloud by any means. Upper stitching is also overall really good and quite dense, but not as neat or consistent as Clinch. Either way, the boots are worth a lot more than the price in my opinion (which is around $670 for this leather.) That leather is Maryam natural horserump which does include the shell part. It is quite different from the leather on my Onderhouds which is also Maryam horse leather, but this version has a lot more shell in it.

S4Gl5RK.jpg?1

J196za3.jpg?1

KFDgsBQ.jpg?1

aOXs24N.jpg?1

nHyJI3b.jpg?1

Zvee2zi.jpg?1

fAWIk3b.jpg?1

4A1VaIg.jpg?1

ClRbXVn.jpg?1

PSdeFmw.jpg?1

fbPFUEO.jpg?1

I wasn't aware of Flame Panda prior. His work looks great. Awesome to see people from other parts of the world doing work at this level. Now following on IG. Nice boots. 

Yeah his work is definitely worth more than he is charging by quite a lot in my opinion. Perhaps part of it is the negative image that "Made in China" has. I know he has mentioned to me that he has worried about that to some degree. Hopefully the more people see his boots, the less that will be an issue for him. He's a really nice guy as well.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

gaiz anybody has horween latigo leather boots here? any comment on the leather?

stretch , wear, thickness, sheen, maintenance  , nearest character of the leather etc

would be of help thank you for a research purpose

36 minutes ago, edmond said:

gaiz anybody has horween latigo leather boots here? any comment on the leather?

stretch , wear, thickness, sheen, maintenance  , nearest character of the leather etc

would be of help thank you for a research purpose

https://blackbearbrand.com/black-bear-brand-factory-store/rio-latigo-boss-

8F3EEFDA-BA59-4735-97BE-78E5471A8953.jpeg

6AA8409E-C024-474A-B6F1-32F5FFC9A9F1.jpeg

A0F4469E-866B-420D-B51B-A52E3A737830.jpeg

E0339E13-2180-4B65-9A84-23514B21B96E.jpeg