Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I like the Paraboot Avignon, but haven't been able to commit to a pair yet. Sizing for them seems to be my main concern since I can't try them on. They also look like they could be on the wide side? Is the general consensus to go a half size down from your Brannock device size? 

14 hours ago, Broark said:

Not a fan? I think they’re pretty cool. 

erm... no, not a fan. Not my style. I'm just bustin' your, and the other fella's, chops. :P And I readily admit even this small genre we're in, my tastes and style are very narrow. 

I'm really fascinated by the surge of interest in Paraboot here recently. When I lived in Boston in the mid- to late-90's, I lusted after a pair but were out of my price range then. They were the creme da la creme of the rugged country mountain-esque style that could be worn with a pair of thick cord trousers, a heavy tweed coat, a nice stripey shirt and cool tie. No doubt good quality footwear, depends on they're styled. 

I get that they are pretty polarizing. I find some of the models ugly.
I opted for these as they're unique and funky, and seem like something I'll be able to wear in the summer as opposed to boot all year.
I have a hard time finding sneakers that I like these days, so hoping these will work.

2 hours ago, Broark said:

Nice lineup, I like the variety. Wish he'd run those derby shoes again.

In the catalog they’re listed in two colors (black and an orange-brown) in calfskin, I haven’t asked as to when they’ll be available though. :ph34r:

Broark, I remembered wrong, it’s a burgundy:

But maybe they’ll be an option in a future MTO order event? They would look great in the same brown calfskin that the Steadfast chukka comes in.

Edited by Iron Horse

1 minute ago, Geeman said:

Grenson do a couple commando sole Chelseas that look nice

Closest thing I've found is the RM William Gardener boot. Ideally I'd get a pair of RDT but same old sizing issue.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Yes, I have the Tricker's Bourton shoe with Dainite sole in size 8. They are built on the 4444 last. I think I posted some photos fairly recently.

Ahhh yes, just saw the red ones. How did you size in comparison to other brands you own?

Very interesting to see Vibram full soles even on the non wedge sole versions @mlwdp. The Biltrite half soles on the normal ones look better in my view.

I personally despise wedge soles on boots, but I don't hate them as much on these because they're bedazzled.

Wouldn't buy either though personally. The only guy in the west that I see with engineers like these is Vintage Engineer Boots.

Looks like Baker's revamped their website, looks a lot more modern now.
I'm still tempted to order a pair of the custom White's oxfords. Might email them to see if they can send me photos of the leather options.

@BroarkAccording to the new Baker’s website, they are supplying Horsehide and Horsehide rough out on Wesco custom models.  Also, I just played with their custom Wesco job master and I’m able to do a 10 inch job master in full Horsehide.  If that’s the case, I’m gonna think hard about jumping on this as Wesco told me that can’t supply the hides to support this height, stopping at 8 inch. I know this isn’t everyone’s taste but I really liked these and went through lengthy discussions with them about building a replica of the 100th anniversary versions about two years ago.   They remind me of jump boots.

Baker’s got a discount code too for White's.

E5B51173-7B0C-4932-BAE8-3E7FD012D7AA.jpeg