Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

memories...

these (or near enough) are what I wore to death as posh private school knob thinking I was rebel

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/24383001

these are the chelsea boots I have now for properly posh occasions (found cheap from a [[now no longer in business] local seller who passed on Alfred Sargent made seconds)

https://www.bowen.fr/CHELSEA-BOOT-CUIR-NOIR/57256644.html

staying with the cheaney recommends (same price as rw williams in UK at least, more a tailored blunnie vibe - but not sure about the sole)

https://www.cheaney.co.uk/cheaney-barnes-iii-b-chelsea-boot-in-brown-pull-up-leather-p656

... rm williams are best in their more elegant models methinks... [only ones seen in wild that looked great were gently square tipped ones on women in my experience]

edit: and completely off topic: but when doing a quick browse at trickers boots: these are the ones that stand out!

https://www.trickers.com/uk/mens/country-boots/grassmere-black-scotch-grain-boot-commando

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Never meet your heroes...

When I was at university (late 80s), my ‘best’ footwear was a pair of Grenson Chelsea boots, bought from Soho Shoes I think. I also had a pair of plain Grenson derbies (in brown) with commando soles.

12 hours ago, Broark said:

General consensus on RM Williams boots? Looking at the Gardner, since I’ve pretty much given up on a Rolling Dub Trio Chelsea boot in my size.

RM's are decent, though they were recently bought by LVMH and some soul has been lost ( no pun intended)  Still made in Australia though. 

Take a look at Carmina -- great for the price and some chelsea models have a rounder toe and rubber sole.  They look dressy at first but once broken in look like what they are -- a boot

those bowen chelseas are sweet @bartlebyyphonics!

@Broark the leather on black blunnies (my preference) are a bit thin nowadays. the classic brown seems unchanged. they're worlds apart from rm williams and other high-end boots in terms of construction etc, though. i don't think you'd like them. if you fancy one in that style to knockabout in but worried about quality, you can always go rossi. not as svelte as blunnies but better all around. 

1 hour ago, oomslokop said:

those bowen chelseas are sweet @bartlebyyphonics!

1 hour ago, oomslokop said:

also those tricker's grasmere could be the perfect boot companion for my cheaney cairngorm! :D

nice!

here is a quick and cheerful family photo of trickers, bowen chelsea and a bowen wholecut - trickers a lucky charity shop find, the bowens bought from the gentleman featured in this filthy rag (I went to the shop before reading that article, please believe me) - he also did a nice line in loafers (Loake & Bass) and was devastated when Church's stop letting him sell their stuff... apparently Bowen was big with the West African Walworth Road community...

[plus some close-ups to show chelsea profile, quality of trickers crimping and punching [[they make a quality product]] and the general delight of a punched toe on otherwise minimal shoe]

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

IMG_0665.JPG

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Never meet your heroes...

When I was at university (late 80s), my ‘best’ footwear was a pair of Grenson Chelsea boots, bought from Soho Shoes I think. I also had a pair of plain Grenson derbies (in brown) with commando soles.

once I fled the cloisters of my teens I was mostly Adidas until I met dear grenson in the my late 20s in the early 2000s ...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

4 hours ago, Broark said:

I get that it can be hard to get over an association with a brand once you’ve made it.

Tis why i cringe at those loafers, when i was in my 20's i used to do some work for this dude who was falling victim to middle age spread, he often complained that he was struggling to bend down and lace up his shoes... he found the answer to his predicament in penny loafers. He never lost the weight and never went back to laces.

I got some of these DM Chelsea boots a few months ago. Comfortable can take a beating,  colour looks great with jeans and scrub up nicely with a touch of mink oil.

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/11853201

Was so impressed with how comfy they were went back and bought some MIE 1461 docs

I have a pair of RM Williams Gardner that I've had for around 8 years. I can't complain on the quality on the boots but I don't have a lot of experience with high quality boots as many of you guys here. They are very comfortable and look good with slimmer jeans. 

Just gonna lower the tone a little... 

Altberg tabbing boots, about 4 years old and approx 4000 miles walked in these on pavements trails and mountainous terrain (in dryer weather) they are lined in cambrelle and have a cordura bellows tongue. A great general purpose boot. They probably have another 3000 miles left in them until they need a resole! 

49537893366_14b1b7e34e_b.jpgIMG_20200215_123930 by Ian Spry-Shute, on Flickr

49537399538_f75a73b023_b.jpgIMG_20200215_123811 by Ian Spry-Shute, on Flickr

49537399103_1f64b0a1fd_b.jpgIMG_20200215_123745 by Ian Spry-Shute, on Flickr

49537893496_7d1b702481_b.jpgIMG_20200215_123824 by Ian Spry-Shute, on Flickr