Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

3 hours ago, Broark said:

Happy to see more RDT stockists in the US, but no bigger sizes bums me out. 

Weren’t you just in SF too?  They even stock Jelado and Trophy denim.  I don’t think the store has been even open for a year yet but they’re already carrying some good brands already.

AD8E77CB-1A4B-422E-BC96-9FAD175D3F77.png

E85FE9E9-42DF-4E15-9C0C-EF6C9ECC399D.png

^^ With regard to the RDT Coupen boots, I have to admit that I have been slightly disappointed in the build quality of my pair.  The stitching on the vamp began to come apart fairly quickly (say a year or so of wear), and now the glued in heel pad inside one of the boots has some undone.  The latter is a small thing and probably easy to re-glue, though I have not done it yet. But the former is a bit more serious. Anyway, I still like them, and love the way they look; but I've sort filed them under "high end disappointments."

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Nice, I’ve been thinking about getting a pair of those to replace my Viberg boondockers next year. Or just resole them, not sure yet.

Isn't it the whole point of Goodyear welter boots to be able to resole them and not needing to buy a new pair every time the sole is worn out?

6 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Isn't it the whole point of Goodyear welter boots to be able to resole them and not needing to buy a new pair every time the sole is worn out?

Rereading my comment makes me realize how silly it sounded. 
Of course, the profile on the M-43's is a bit different too. Plus the upper on the Boondockers has gotten a bit ratty looking over the last 4 years. Need to try my hand at deep cleaning them.
And the Viberg's are stitchdown construction, I'm not sure if anyone has the capability to resole stitchdown locally.

Edited by Broark

@Broark - talk to Kyle at Baker's. They can work with stitchdown. Their in-house repair service does good work, at least in my experience. Look up @leather_sniffer on IG. Not sure of their relationship, but he may do <some of> Baker's work. 

^^ Two things about resoling;  1. It's usually not cheap. I think Baker's is $170, plus shipping each way, so probably well over $200 total.  So, it's not a bad time to think about getting a new pair of boots if you have any other reasons for doing so.  2. Resoled boots do not always come back the way you want them to!  (I know from experience.)

10 hours ago, givemefive said:

What does work for you?  I'm an 11b in Alden Barrie

Lofgren will definitely be too wide. I can do an 11D or 12C in Barrie and comparable Lofgren sizes are much wider. The Wescos motor patrol last (1339 from memory?) is very good for narrow feet, so is the Viberg 2030, or the Real McCoys lineup.

3 hours ago, Aries said:

Lofgren will definitely be too wide. I can do an 11D or 12C in Barrie and comparable Lofgren sizes are much wider. The Wescos motor patrol last (1339 from memory?) is very good for narrow feet, so is the Viberg 2030, or the Real McCoys lineup.

Yeah I actually just ordered a wesco motor patrol last boot in 10.5D a few days ago.

mister_lou_7600BR.png

https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/StockBoot.aspx?id=Mister_Lou

Has a narrower shaft and tighter heelcup too.  Hope they work!

HWZN BROSS is working on a collab with Brother Bridge on some engineers.  Brother Bridge is usually not expensive so I’m guessing these two pairs will be around $400-500ish.

B2B44FC8-3EE9-41E8-826B-BA91B05318EF.png

99CA80EB-F8A6-42F2-9A4B-11469178B723.png

1457025B-4E2A-4233-812F-0052F9A57FBA.png

B2D618FA-4CF8-4DE2-B9E9-0E8A3233C4F9.png

800FCDB8-4C4A-4C68-8CBF-277365B012FB.png

A34A9B48-B993-410E-BA8D-91F8CFC371FC.png

3063AB51-8AF8-4977-BDB8-CDE515CA0B6E.png

C0484EC0-9A0C-41C0-9373-E4AF06EB07D4.png

Edited by mlwdp

15 minutes ago, tod said:

@mlwdp What is the strap on the side, do you know?  I was wondering if the little pocket there was a knife pocket, I can’t figure out how that strap would work. 

Probably for multi tools.  Lynch did a boss model with Wesco Japan a few years ago with the same style.

boss_lynchmodel1.jpg

On 12/11/2019 at 9:36 PM, tod said:

@mlwdp What is the strap on the side, do you know?  I was wondering if the little pocket there was a knife pocket, I can’t figure out how that strap would work. 

Looks like the pockets have some usage

0E6F3EB5-0082-463B-AB24-1FA26B6D30C8.png

36A2D8B0-FB9A-4240-B49E-D18E0D3D22EE.png

On 12/20/2019 at 7:22 AM, vgadjo said:

From the oldest to the newest:

RW 877, resole once.

RW iron rangers, better vibram grip resole

Viberg with commando resole

Truman autumn CXL

Truman Java waxed

IMG_20191220_114245.jpg

The Truman waxed flesh look great. A chunkier toe than I would have expected. 

My Wesco "Mister Lou" pair came in.

I am super happy with them and they fit good! I went with a 10.5D.  I believe this is their "MP Toe" last which already runs a little narrow so these fit more like a 10.5C. I'm a 10.5 in Iron Ranger and an 11B Alden Barrie.

I would say I'm probably an actual 11C in their sizing but this pair should suit me fine just not a ton of toe space but not too tight.

I am also very happy that the shaft on these is cut rather narrow. This improves the fit a lot for my narrow ankles and makes them fit easily under all my 8" hem jeans. I could probably afford another 1/2" or so down in shaft size but for an off the rack engineer boot I am impressed.

Hope S&S doesn't mind me using their photos to remind you guys what these things look like.

Mister_Lou_Engineer_-_Brown-01_2000x.jpg

Mister_Lou_Engineer_-_Brown-02-2_2000x.jpg