Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

9 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Can't see the pic but why did you sell them?

The pics not showing? Strange, they’re there on my screen.

Bucos are just half a size too small; I’ve got some wescos incoming that are a perfect fit, knew the buco fit would just irritate me from then on.

The Clinch fit well but I’m having foot pains (planar fasciitis) and they’re such heavy boots they exacerbate the swelling. 

Shame to see both go, phenomenal boots, but needs must!

nothing conclusive but... been experimenting on this with rough out recently - matting down a little with mink oil and then trying out using both a rubber combo-style brush and a more aggressive brass only brush - the rubber aspect of the combined brush seemed best as reviving but not thrashing the more matted parts of the oiled nap (esp. on toe areas) ...

rw video on it here

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 4:20 AM, mlwdp said:

My Horsehide Wesco Boss is here!!

A couple things:

I did not know I could get triple stitching.

i annoyed the hell out of Wesco regarding sizing etc lol.

The roller Buckles are from Ironheart.  They are brass.  I originally wanted pure silver buckles like the Studio WokinixBlack Bear Brand Boss but Studio Wokini wasn’t willing to make them for me. :(

The sole I provided is a mini Vibram half sole.  I wanted flexibility but also grip, something that the traditional half sole doesn’t offer.

Next Boss boot will be in Black rough out, 9 inch,double midsole, with black raptor sole.  I want the same one that Ken Igari from Langlitz Japan has.  The rough out Boss will be strictly for riding ONLY.  If I don’t do a Boss boot, it will be another White's Smokejumper boot, single midsole, Vibram 100.  I haven’t decided on the type of black leather, but I’m looking at a 8-10inch, used for riding and hiking.  I can’t hike in the Boss so that will be taken into consideration.

These are MP toe.  Not a Boss toe.  These are a 10 inch.

I wanted the 100th anniversary Wesco Boss Horsehide boots that were only available in Japan on a special last.  I didn’t want to pay $1,000+,so these are as close as I can get.

I’m looking forward to the brown coming out of the black Horsehide.

Black Horsehide Wesco Boss

2688CF43-498D-4228-8A92-D7099BCF94D4.jpeg

788EA8E6-3E4F-42AA-A809-610610AB0653.jpeg

188C7F7A-1B7C-4613-95FF-02ED2DB89698.jpeg

67BED0F4-7AF9-4829-AEDC-FB4012CB8202.jpeg

B24FA8D4-AD64-49BC-83C1-3748550197CF.jpeg

How much did those come out to?9

I think I made the right decision with going with the MP toe versus the Boss toe on my Wesco.  The sleekness works well with the half sole, with a look similar to some of the other Japanese engineer brands like Attractions IMO.  I originally was going to do the Boss but it just looks to bulbous with pairing it with a half sole.  I can walk with ease with my half soles as they’re flexible.  If I were to do the Boss toe, then I wouldn’t have done that type of sole and instead would half opted for Vibram 430.  

Just playing around, mimicking the Lynch Silversmith collab with black pebble/black roughout and the 100th anniversary edition with black Horsehide. This is as close as I can make it.

DAE3E36F-A0AF-4C16-B4DE-D5A96FA716F6.png

C552F222-DFAB-433D-929F-6D814BAFA15F.png

4856A85B-D09E-4D9F-9794-3B60A95BE0AC.jpeg

8CCD77B8-DA05-45E8-89A8-36B00658EECB.jpeg

4B70434D-457F-4585-860D-565EB5762722.jpeg

A874669D-C197-4A1D-9AC8-B0010B114BDB.png

Edited by mlwdp

The wait for my Lofgren Devil's Causeway boots is almost over!
Some leather production issues kept causing delays at Shinki, with the leather being so unique they were getting too many big variances from hide to hide or something along those lines.
Mari from S&S just sent me an email yesterday saying that the first batch of boots is complete and my pair happens to be in that batch. :D
Horsehide_Engineer_Boot_1st_proto_-01_20

Waits for Ed to say “you should’ve got Wesco!”.

Don't worry, it’s coming. :D

Edit:  Just saw the Lofgren price, too much for me lol.  I’m already debating between another Wesco or go all out for the Whites Smokejumper again.

Edited by mlwdp

8 minutes ago, Broark said:

I’m already prepared for that comment. :D I understand the price being high, but given the fact that I’ve already paid half back in January, I’ve had plenty of time to save up for the other half.

Just to play devils advocate, I believe Shinki supplied the Horsehide for the 100th Anniversary Wesco Boss and Jobmaster.  They are only available in Japan through Wesco Japan.

The Wesco Boss price is over $2,000. Yikes.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/threewoodjapan/item/wesco-bs85/

You could get two Lofgrens for that price! :D

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

Wow, those are expensive!

I take that back as I looked at the price again for the Boss.  You could get two Lofgrens and another pair of denim for that price.

Edited by mlwdp