Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

That guy cracks me up. Get off the high horse. He just makes me want to buy more whites. I’m happy with my whites. 

It’s just a big piss contest. So who has the original logger boot??

wesco, whites, nicks, Drew’s, Franks all have a logger smokejumper style boot. 

Everyone steals from everyone 

Calling out White's like that on social media is kinda BS. Sounds like he's got an axe to grind. 

From what I know, Otto White was the first of the PNW boot makers. Everyone else has some lineage to him, except maybe Wesco, for which I don't know their exact history. For example, Nick's worked fo White's until he left and started his own shop. It's all fairly easy to look up, I just can't be bothered right now, and I'm not saying anything that isn't common knowledge. I do think Wesco is the best of the PNW boot makers, and Nick's probably makes the most bomber boots for actual real work. Just because White's was bought by a bigger company, doesn't mean their quality is any less. Are Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini or Porsche any less quality because they are owned by VW, which makes lower-end cars? 

White's seems to offer the widest variety of footwear to reach the widest markets. They seem to be the willing and able to follow trends, for better or worse. They pretty much started the trend of work-boot-as-dress-boot with the SD. Personally, I wasn't very impressed with the re-build of SJ's they did for me a few years ago. I've seen better work from them as well as the others. Their Arch Ease concept is complete, utter marketing BS nonsense. It's just old-timey snake oil that has persisted over time. 

22 hours ago, mpukas said:

Their Arch Ease concept is complete, utter marketing BS nonsense. It's just old-timey snake oil that has persisted over time. 

No man, the arch-ease is real!  As someone with high arches who can't wear any other boots without insoles except for White's, I can attest to the effectiveness of that thick leather arch support.

Anyone have sizing advice for Toys Mccoys boots, especially the surveyor boots?  I have admired them from afar for years, but have never thought too seriously because they always seemed difficult to get in the US, and I had no experience with sizing. But am now thinking about giving them a shot anyway.  I wear a 9.5E in both Whites and Alden trubalance.

toys mccoys.jpg

2 hours ago, tod said:

No man, the arch-ease is real!  As someone with high arches who can't wear any other boots without insoles except for White's, I can attest to the effectiveness of that thick leather arch support.

No intentions to argue, this is friendly conversation. I have a very high arch, and for my whole life I bought into the marketing BS about arch support, including White's, until about 5+ years ago. I stumbled into the barefoot shoe world, much like I stumbled into the raw denim world. You don't need arch support, high heels, toe spring, cushioning, etc. Maybe you think you do because you've always worn footwear like that, but you can strengthen and retrain you feet and legs to not need any of it. Shoes are the cause of almost all foot issues, including bunions, flat feet, etc.

Enough on that tho, I try not to get preachy about it around here... Anyway, I'm as big of heritage work boot fan as there is, I just can't wear any conventional footwear anymore because they hurt my feet too much. I'm much. much happier in barefoot-type shoes & boots, it sucks that they're all cheap and ugly. 

2 hours ago, tod said:

Anyone have sizing advice for Toys Mccoys boots, especially the surveyor boots?  I have admired them from afar for years, but have never thought too seriously because they always seemed difficult to get in the US, and I had no experience with sizing. But am now thinking about giving them a shot anyway.  I wear a 9.5E in both Whites and Alden trubalance.

toys mccoys.jpg

One of the best boots ever, IMO. I'll lust after a pair until I'm face-up in a dirt bed. While I don't have any real world experience with either the TMC or the LW Mechanics boots, I've looked endlessly at pics and I think the TMC is a better looking boot. Can't really say that one is any better quality than the other, but I suspect the TMC is as good as it gets. The LW doesn't seem to exude quite the same level. The LW does look wider in the forefoot when looking at the sole view; the TMC look standard width, although I think they are advertised as E width. That may be a consideration of the Trubalance last fits you well. All of that is purely speculation on my part... :D 

1 hour ago, mpukas said:

One of the best boots ever, IMO. I'll lust after a pair until I'm face-up in a dirt bed. While I don't have any real world experience with either the TMC or the LW Mechanics boots, I've looked endlessly at pics and I think the TMC is a better looking boot. Can't really say that one is any better quality than the other, but I suspect the TMC is as good as it gets. The LW doesn't seem to exude quite the same level. The LW does look wider in the forefoot when looking at the sole view; the TMC look standard width, although I think they are advertised as E width. That may be a consideration of the Trubalance last fits you well. All of that is purely speculation on my part... :D 

Yeah I'm with you. Hard to beat the Toys Mccoys for looks.  The stitching looks great, and little things like the rivets...  It used to be that I thought they were unreasonably expensive, but these days $600 or so for a pair of high end boots seems to be the going rate, not much more than a pair of Whites.  It's the pain and cost of returning to Japan if the fit is off that really makes me pause.

Is there such a thing as horsehide leather laces?  I was floating around on Clutch Magazine's site and they mentioned one of the Wesco boots having them.  I also typed in Google and Standard and Strange's Wesco Axe Breaker came up.  

A last, loving pic of my Lofgren natural CXLs before I sell them I think. Worn sparingly over the year I've owned, they're great for length by the width is too much for my narrow feet. I just don't think the Lofgren last will ever fit me quite right :(.

IMG_8186 copy.jpg