Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 12/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, mpukas said:

Looking forward to seeing your Wesco's and hearing about your experience with them. Lead time?

I always wondered who made Ace boots. SE had a model a few ago that was really cool, and saw a couple other models floating around the internets at a different stores, but could never really find out much info about them. 

Wesco quoted me 16 weeks.  I think @kiya visited them and post pics on styleforum.

Edited by mlwdp

On 12/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, mlwdp said:

Wesco quoted me 16 weeks.  I think @kiya visited them and post pics on styleforum.

May I ask what build you went with for your boss boots?

A question for RW moc-toe experts - but I think I know the answer - is there a shank in the midsole? I assume yes. I'm wondering if its viable to have them resoled with a flat sole and no wedge. I've found that boots with just a low heel lift don't work when resoled to be flat if there's a shank. I know it's possible to have the shank removed but that gets into another level of rebuild work. A local cobbler in my area doesnt have that level of skill and I'd have to send them out. 

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:19 PM, mpukas said:

A question for RW moc-toe experts - but I think I know the answer - is there a shank in the midsole? I assume yes. I'm wondering if its viable to have them resoled with a flat sole and no wedge. I've found that boots with just a low heel lift don't work when resoled to be flat if there's a shank. I know it's possible to have the shank removed but that gets into another level of rebuild work. A local cobbler in my area doesnt have that level of skill and I'd have to send them out. 

The 877 does not have a shank, and neither does the 875. I am not sure if the 1907 does or not, which I still have. 

On 12/14/2018 at 6:06 PM, ElTadashi said:

May I ask what build you went with for your boss boots?

Just the 10' height with mp toe.  Unlike my White's that are for sale, my Boss boots will be in boring Black tie leather in all black again with mini 430 sole.

16 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Just the 10' height with mp toe.  Unlike my White's that are for sale, my Boss boots will be in boring Black tie leather in all black again with mini 430 sole.

Sweet sounds similar to mine. I got a pair of the 7400 in the wider MP toe last.(I had to ask if they would make it first as it is supposed to be a "stock" build)

S&S just released the info for their John Lofgren engineer boots in horsehide. Think I might jump on them, anyone able to give feedback about how the JL engineers fit? I have a pair of Viberg engineer boots in size 12 that are just a touch big, but they’re fine with an insole and boot socks. My best fitting boots are probably my Viberg Boondockers on the 2045 last in size 11.5. Really like that they included photos of the worn sample boots too.

Horsehide_Engineer_Boot_1st_proto_-01_80

Devil_s_Causeway_-_Worn_3_months-01_800x

6 minutes ago, Broark said:

Ed I know you have beef with Lofgren, not sure why but I think these are solid boots. Nothing wrong with Wesco, but they won’t do anything in a horsehide this nice (at least from what I’ve seen).

Have you taken a look at Wesco 100th anniversary horsehide offerings?

JL runs a bit big since their Engineer boots are made in last E (same with viberg i believe). John VEB, he goes 1 full size down from his brannock and get a pretty good snug fit as all engineer boots have a lil bit of heels slippage.

So get the same size with your viberg and you'll be fine. if you dont like the fit, put extra insoles and thick socks like me and you will love them

Lofgren run wide. I have a standard D width foot and could never get them to work. Tried 8 and 7.5 and neither fit just right. I refuse to have to use insoles when spending that much on boots. So I gave up. Beautiful looking boots though. 

On 12/30/2018 at 10:48 AM, Broark said:

@mlwdp I have seen those and while they are really nice I don’t like the outward facing label and the arch height is higher.

I think it was either you or someone else asking about Zerrows boots.  They make some nice boots for a copycat of White's.

27 minutes ago, edmond said:

Wesco > lofgren

i swear on my wescos dude 

F01D2C87-6202-4B9F-A902-25BDE9218B90.jpeg

I'd like to see more love for the Jobmaster online.  They're ok but it seems not too many online like that model.

compass1534155085.jpg

5 minutes ago, edmond said:

Fuck man to much would do it in black tie with heel lift for not more than 600 in sure in the 9109 bump toe 

Another 100th anniversary Jobmaster is coming out this year.  They look like they have that green sole again I posted.

7 hours ago, edmond said:

Fuck man to much would do it in black tie with heel lift for not more than 600 in sure in the 9109 bump toe 

You can make the same Jobmaster model in Horsehide for half the cost.  Wesco now offers it as a custom leather option like black tie.

And horsehide is also available for the Boss boot.

https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/BootBuild.aspx?oik=100808201

https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/BootBuild.aspx?oik=100808202

Edited by mlwdp

From Wesco email (this was about making the Jobmaster out of Horsehide on the site):

Hello,

We do not have the Horsehide used for these boots. The hides were provided by the dealer. We unfortunately don’t have anything tall enough in Horse to make you a ten inch Jobmaster.

The boots below do not have a lining, and the whole boot was out of horsehide. They have steel shanks, but no half-slips.

We have our own Horse Jobmaster that is coming out within the next few weeks. They are limited to 8 inches tall though. Are you set on the 10 inch height? If not we could make you something similar to the one you listed below in 8 inch and they would be in the $600-$700 range.

Edited by mlwdp