Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

3 hours ago, Broark said:

My problem with most chelsea style boots is that they're so small and dainty which I'm not into. And I wanted something shorter than an engineer boot that's just easy to pull on and off.

I'm going through the same process and I'm thinking I might end up with a pair of side-zip boots. 

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Broark, have you considered something like a Tricker's chelsea boot?

Brogue with commando sole

Plain with dainite sole

Love them Tricker's. I've always had a soft spot for Tricker's... 

Let's take a moment to appreciate all the hard work wildland firefighters in White's/Nick's/Wesco boots are doing in California. I live 200 miles away from the Campfire in northern California, but the air quality here is near toxic levels.

Saw this image today on my feed and it really struck me.
45194241604_1aebda7dff_b.jpg

On 11/18/2018 at 4:01 PM, PeterParker said:

It was shoe cleaning day so I figured I might as well take some pictures

45945984041_490d9c6920_z.jpg

45221954754_217fdd0e78_z.jpg

I remember seeing this pair on here or styleforum and it helped me decide on going with distressed smooth leather bounty hunters. 3 years later mine look pretty similar. :]

Edited by Rob060

On 8/11/2018 at 11:53 PM, Rob060 said:

My work boots are getting close to three years old. Really need to saddle soap and scrub them. Dangerously close to needing a re-heel and sole.

42180948550_3f4216256a_h.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 4:03 PM, Rob060 said:

All cleaned up43153240485_d34b23b0a1_h.jpg

Nice. What did you apply to yours after cleaning? In the beginning I treated mine with Obenauf's LP and it gave them that darker, duller appearance. I wasn't a big fan of how it flattened out the patina and eventually moved to a neutral cream with mink oil.

Thanks for crediting me with your inspiration; back when I ordered mine I couldn't find many pictures of the distressed smooth leather and took a bit of a punt. Truth be told, I was a bit regretful when natural chromexcel became an option shortly after I ordered.

Like yours, mine are in need of a resole/heel. What sole are you going to go with? I'll probably go with a 430 mini lug this time around.

Edited by PeterParker

9 hours ago, PeterParker said:

Nice. What did you apply to yours after cleaning? In the beginning I treated mine with Obenauf's LP and it gave them that darker, duller appearance. I wasn't a big fan of how it flattened out the patina and eventually moved to a neutral cream with mink oil.

Thanks for crediting me with your inspiration; back when I ordered mine I couldn't find many pictures of the distressed smooth leather and took a bit of a punt. Truth be told, I was a bit regretful when natural chromexcel became an option shortly after I ordered.

Like yours, mine are in need of a resole/heel. What sole are you going to go with? I'll probably go with a 430 mini lug this time around.

I use Obenauf's lp, mainly because they get scuffed and wet a lot at work. They look dull at first but after a some wearing and brushing, the shine comes back. I have Obenauf's oil too. Feel like they need some of that soon.

I was really considering chromexcel, but since these were boots mainly used for work, I wanted something a little tougher like distressed smooth, and after some aging they look pretty similar

Think I'll go with the same heel and sole as before. I do a ton of walking in them and was happy to get 3 years out of the vibram 700 and quabaug heel. A half sole and full leather heel stack would be cool but I feel like the full sole is better for my conditions. Considering asking for the heel to be more of a straight taper, like Viberg does, instead of a logger style.

Edited by Rob060

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to find a boot that you entirely like?

The vintage boot that Ive always worn has lived a hard life and is in desperate need of retirement.

The only boot that Ive seen in any of my recent memories or hunting that strongly appeals to me is one by Sanders Japan, but I think it was only available at ClutchCafe and is sold out of my size.

Any suggestions? 

39D4DC52-AD5A-4196-A84B-217388EC45D4.jpeg

33 minutes ago, MasonAlexander said:

Is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to find a boot that you entirely like?

The vintage boot that Ive always worn has lived a hard life and is in desperate need of retirement.

The only boot that Ive seen in any of my recent memories or hunting that strongly appeals to me is one by Sanders Japan, but I think it was only available at ClutchCafe and is sold out of my size.

Any suggestions? 

How about the S&S x Wesco Axe Breaker in horsehide:

Axe_Breaker_Boot_343f82db-2eb1-4d87-8349

@Critical Observer Ive actually circled back to those quite a few times. I really do like the way they look for the most part, and I would really like to support S&S as they always treat me great when I do business there but Im just not sure if I can convince myself to live with the very visible brown sewing on the toe, and if I did convince myself to accept the brown, Im not sure I could convince myself to spend $1000 on a boot that took that much work to convince myself of.

I will be the first to admit that I am so very picky when it comes to a footwear, far more than any other piece of clothing and this will not be any easy task

On 09/12/2018 at 12:24 AM, MasonAlexander said:

Any suggestions? 

39D4DC52-AD5A-4196-A84B-217388EC45D4.jpeg

@MasonAlexander have you looked at alden jumper boots in black shell? https://aldenmadison.com/collection/jumper-bootblack-shell-cordovand7843hc/

On 11/10/2018 at 1:38 PM, mpukas said:

I've never heard of them. I checked out their website, and it appears their engineer boots you've found are the cream of their crop. They look to be the biz. But not much/no info on leather source, construction, details, last, etc. Their asking a pretty penny for a faith-based purchase... 

Just spoke to the Prez of All American Mfg.  Here's what he told me:

The leather is latigo leather, which is essentially cowskin.  Only one company orders mass production of boots from him from Japan, which is Glad Hand.

The engineer boots are made to measure.  You have to send in a fit sheet with tracings and measurements that are off the website.

The boots take 2 weeks for production.  That's extremely quick!

The last is 395 last, which is used for Hollywood Trading Company and Ace Boots.  They have made boots for other companies such as these two.  Same as the leather.  They create a last to your measurements to make the boots.

Recraftable.  All American has been in business since 1996.

Lastly, the engineer boots that are done with Glad Hand are true to size.

Sending the fit sheet is the address:

7764 San Fernando Rd.

Unit 6

Sun Valley, CA 91352

Edited by mlwdp

So....Whose's gonna be the guinea pig to buy engineers from All American Boots?  They are basically Ace boots.

Ace Boots version made by All American Boots Mfg:

slideshow_1.jpg

slideshow_2.jpg

Edited by mlwdp

36 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

So....Whose's gonna be the guinea pig to buy engineers from All American Boots?

Come on bruh, step up! 

Looking forward to seeing your Wesco's and hearing about your experience with them. Lead time?

I always wondered who made Ace boots. SE had a model a few ago that was really cool, and saw a couple other models floating around the internets at a different stores, but could never really find out much info about them.