Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

^Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest lol

Wore Maine Boots (the green heritage ones) a few years back and they certainly did the job but unfortunately wore down within one season due to all the city/concrete walking. Looking for something a bit lighter, flexible, non-ubiquitous, and was thinking some of the modern winter hiking boots could do the trick. I think my aesthetic has gone so far off the sufu look the past few years but as time goes on (and I get lazy) I'm getting more into practical clothing that's pretty drab lol...Need my footwear to catch up!

^RW Moc toe was pretty slick IME, used to wear them as well...Of the top sufu approved, only my White's really cut it, esp. the ones with heavy lugs but they're way too heavy and kill my ankle flexibility after a few hours. Sneakers changed my life for the worse after wearing them the past two years because they made me realize how comfortable life could be lol. Ultimately, I appreciate the comfort and flexibility of them despite their disposable mass produced nature. Overall the heritage look is dead to me, as awkward as it is for me to say in superdenim, :o but that's sort of my mindset and what I'm looking for at this point!

4 hours ago, aho said:

^RW Moc toe was pretty slick IME, used to wear them as well...Of the top sufu approved, only my White's really cut it, esp. the ones with heavy lugs but they're way too heavy and kill my ankle flexibility after a few hours. Sneakers changed my life for the worse after wearing them the past two years because they made me realize how comfortable life could be lol. Ultimately, I appreciate the comfort and flexibility of them despite their disposable mass produced nature. Overall the heritage look is dead to me, as awkward as it is for me to say in superdenim, :o but that's sort of my mindset and what I'm looking for at this point!

Red Wing Ice Cutters could do.

RW02930C_MUL_N1_1115.jpeg

On 30/10/2018 at 2:29 AM, aho said:

^Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest lol

Wore Maine Boots (the green heritage ones) a few years back and they certainly did the job but unfortunately wore down within one season due to all the city/concrete walking. Looking for something a bit lighter, flexible, non-ubiquitous, and was thinking some of the modern winter hiking boots could do the trick. I think my aesthetic has gone so far off the sufu look the past few years but as time goes on (and I get lazy) I'm getting more into practical clothing that's pretty drab lol...Need my footwear to catch up!

https://www.goruck.com/macv-1/

1 hour ago, Iron Horse said:

What about some Moonstar All-Weathers?

That's a good recommendation.. or the new Ventile Buzz Rickson hi-tops.

5bda791739eab_ScreenShot2018-10-31at8_54_12PM.thumb.png.20587054927985f8c673b7e42cf758b6.png

On 10/28/2018 at 10:54 PM, aho said:

I'm going to get flack for this, but any good winter/waterproof boots out there, sufu approved? I've given up on my White's and Alden's given the weight, but I still want something light and flexible ala sneakers that'll get me through the winter. Are the following just too mainstream and poorly made?:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tremblant-6-inch-polar-waterproof-ice/35129M.html?dwvar_35129M_color=J33187#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

I don't mind getting more technical winter hiking boot looking, but I really don't know where to start...I don't want to go Danner

@aho I've been meaning to respond to your post. I'm in a similar quest for literally years now, trying to find winter footwear. My concerns are similar to yours, but a little different. I been wearing primarily barefoot shoes for going on 5 years now, and now I can't wear conventional shoes/boots for more than a couple of hours a time. My most worn pair is Vivobarefoot Hand-cut Porto (hand cut and made in Portugal. They're really god for what they are). However, Vivo's winter footwear offerings are pathetic. 

I've made a couple of attempts at custom and resoled boots. I had Russell Moccasin make me a couple of pairs. They are nice boots, well made, rugged. Rather wabi-sabi, shall we say. And I can't say enough about how nice and accommodating they are. That story deserves it's own post someday... I also had a pair of Chippewa Arctic boots resoled with no heel, but they are so uncomfortable I can't wear them at all. I'm not really into Sorels or Bean Duck boots. For really serious pacs, Schnee's and Hoffman are superior, but way beyond my needs. So my quest continues, and I have some new possibilities... 

On the lower end, Converse and Vans both make winter sneaker boots. Con's are way too narrow for me, so they are out. Vans has been making snow boarding boots for 25+ years, and they know a thing or two about insulation and traction. They run a bit wider, so I'm considering something from them for knocking around in. For true work boots, Thorogood make some insulated options... but I've never owned a pair... 

For my top pic, it's prolly gonna be - get ready for it - Uggs. Yeah, I  know. Uggs. They actually have a couple of models that pretty well tick all the boxes I'm looking for in winter boots. This Harkley Waterproof Boot  is the one I'm most interested in - waterproof, shearling lined, flat no heel, resoleable. This version has a close, neat trim at the edge of the sole. They offer a Horween option, but it's got their signature rounded over edge on the top edge of the sole, making them even more Uggly than they need to be. And I'm not a fan of white wedge soles at all; I'd have them replaced right away, and maybe it'd look a bit better. 

If you come up with anything else, lemme know. Cheers! mpp

How about Danner? I mostly think of them as hiking boots, but the classic Mountain Light looks good and wears well, and I'm pretty sure it comes with the classic Vibram lug sole that should do fine in city snow.

edit: recommendation meant for all besides aho, of course : )

Edited by julian-wolf

22 hours ago, redragon said:

@JDelage

img1.jpg

Current season, RDT make a sleek one named Casper.

I have their Coupen, really top notched construction. 

Wow, those are nice, especially in the Burgundy and tan colors... Now to find more about them...

Viberg makes a nice one too.

So I picked up these Red Wing oxfords for like 70 bucks tonight at Nordstrom Rack.
I always check out the shoes in hopes of finding a deal and I finally did. 
Not sure about the details on these but the price was good and they're super comfy and different.
w1E3Ied.jpg
wC1RjvE.jpg
And wore my 9874's today, purchased from S&S about a year ago.
VawG19y.jpg

1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

Has anybody ever heard of All American Boot MFG Co? 

I've never heard of them. I checked out their website, and it appears their engineer boots you've found are the cream of their crop. They look to be the biz. But not much/no info on leather source, construction, details, last, etc. Their asking a pretty penny for a faith-based purchase... 

and looky-here - they have a sub-brand called Erro that makes fashion oriented shoes and boots. The engineer boots are also included in this collection. Some of their other offerings look pretty good too, and rather spendy. 

https://erroshoes.com/ 

So turns out those RW oxfords I picked up were a special makeup for Beams, they are the 9110.
Can't find much online about them but not sure how they ended up at a Nordstrom Rack here in Austin. :D
XoDTgFB.jpg

Also, how do y'all feel about Blundstones? I'm thinking about picking up a pair, but I've heard mixed things about the quality.

57 minutes ago, Broark said:

Also, how do y'all feel about Blundstones? I'm thinking about picking up a pair, but I've heard mixed things about the quality.

I have a pair, and they are pretty good for what they are. I think the majority of the negative feedback came from when they moved manufacturing to Vietnam some years ago. There were some growing pains as I understand it. They've since worked out the kinks in the process, and I've read they are as good as when they were made in Oz. For me, they're just throw on and beat the snot out of 'cuz I really don't care about them. They're pretty ugly no matter how you look at them. But the soles are really really durable, high heat resistant, unlike many other petroleum based sole products. 

Obviously it depends on what you want them for. If they're for getting getting dirty, beat up, rode hard and put away wet, they're great and can take some abuse. If they're for looking good, there are far better options in the chelsea boot world. 

what @mpukas said. i'd just like to add that i grew up in oz wearing blunnies and that i copped a new pair this year and now they come with an insole that makes them almost half a size smaller than they used to be. a lot of reviews/blurbs say they're oversized but not really in my experience. i wear 9 in cons all star, 10 in vans authentic, 8.5 in rdt coupen and 8.5 in blunnies (classic chelsea 500/510). also if you wanna be a bit different, you can get a pair of rossi instead. they're a bit heavier, probably better quality (the back pull tab is leather) and only a tad uglier. :)

Thanks for the feedback, I just wanted something easy to put on and not care too much about.
My problem with most chelsea style boots is that they're so small and dainty which I'm not into. And I wanted something shorter than an engineer boot that's just easy to pull on and off. I have come across Rossi boots as well but they don't seem like they are as widely available at least during my quick search.
Ultimately I'd really want something like the RDT Stan boot but my feet are too big for anything and everything that they make. :(