Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I feel like I'm selling my car, but I put my Smoke jumpers on for sale.  Will build the boot again in the e width to accomodate wide foot and spenco insoles unless I go all out for Wesco boss.  Had to consider foot health and fit.  Taking offers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202480293346

Edited by mlwdp

High-top 3.1 Phillip Lim boots with knotted cords over the pebbled leather upper. A thick rubber lug sole completes the all-terrain appeal. Padded top line. Concealed side zip. Leather sock liner. Steel Toe tip

https://www.grailed.com/listings/4959371-3-1-Phillip-Lim--WINTER-GRAIL-Summit-Knotted-Zip-Boots

Very pleased with these cheap Chippewas I got off ebay a couple of months ago.  They are not made of the highest quality materials (eg, there is a plastic fake leather welt of sorts at the back of the boot), and while they say made in the US that is apparently debatable.  Acc to another site a guy cut a pair open and it said made in the China in the toebox.  So maybe "partly assembled" in the US is more likely.  Nevertheless, I am pleased with them.  I bought a similar pair about 15 years ago (which interestingly said made in China at the time), and I wore them regularly for over 10 years.  We'll how long these go.  They make good motorcycle boots, but also everyday wear.

PA263091.JPG

Edited by tod

And while I am at it, here are two pics of my Rolling Dub Trio coupen boots (aka work shoes).  I like these a lot, but I have to say that I am slightly disappointed on the workmanship for expensive Japanese bench built boots.  You can only see a hint of it, but there is some loose stitching on the left boot, where the top quarter/eyelets are stitched to the vamp.  And I know creasing is hard to predict, but I don't like the way the CXL on these has worn compared with other CXL boots I've had.  Ah well, not perfect, but still glad I have them..

PA263093.JPG

PA263094.JPG

@todAre we talking Harley or?  I can't see cork soles providing much traction or stability, especially for kick starts and stops on steep and slippery surfaces, but that's just me.  I use my oxfords with the vibram 2021 sole for support.

22 hours ago, mlwdp said:

@todAre we talking Harley or?  I can't see cork soles providing much traction or stability, especially for kick starts and stops on steep and slippery surfaces, but that's just me.  I use my oxfords with the vibram 2021 sole for support.

Triumph Bobber.  The Chippewas have a hard rubber sole actually. Grippy enough for traction, but not so soft that they are going to wear too quickly.  I think I'd miss having a heel if I wore the Vibram squishy soles...

I'm going to get flack for this, but any good winter/waterproof boots out there, sufu approved? I've given up on my White's and Alden's given the weight, but I still want something light and flexible ala sneakers that'll get me through the winter. Are the following just too mainstream and poorly made?:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tremblant-6-inch-polar-waterproof-ice/35129M.html?dwvar_35129M_color=J33187#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

I don't mind getting more technical winter hiking boot looking, but I really don't know where to start...I don't want to go Danner

On 27/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, kicks79 said:

Finally got a pic of my Yuketen Ghillie Mocs.

I thought we could upload pics straight from a desktop? I can't seem to remember how to do that?

45573899691_105a0ace91_k.jpg

I have 3 Yuketen mocs, love them all. 

Aesthetically they’re amazing but they do have design flaws in regards to their mocs.

I’m surprised no one ever mentions anywhere how the Maine mocs don’t provide any heel support as there is no stiffner or stiff leather that supports the sides or back. (The back strap doesn’t actually provide support especially once the leather soften/ages).

It’s not nessassarilly a problem with 5”+ models as you can wrap the laces around for support. 

But for the hand sewn oxford type models with Vibram 2021 or rocker outsole, it’s a real hazard twisting your ankles.

What’s the point of having a steel shank in the sole if the rest of shoe has no support.

end rant.

9 hours ago, aho said:

I'm going to get flack for this, but any good winter/waterproof boots out there, sufu approved? I've given up on my White's and Alden's given the weight, but I still want something light and flexible ala sneakers that'll get me through the winter. Are the following just too mainstream and poorly made?:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tremblant-6-inch-polar-waterproof-ice/35129M.html?dwvar_35129M_color=J33187#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

I don't mind getting more technical winter hiking boot looking, but I really don't know where to start...I don't want to go Danner

honestly Timbs are great, the wheat, rust, dark chocolate, and black colorways all fit just fine with the sort of clothing we wear

^Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest lol

Wore Maine Boots (the green heritage ones) a few years back and they certainly did the job but unfortunately wore down within one season due to all the city/concrete walking. Looking for something a bit lighter, flexible, non-ubiquitous, and was thinking some of the modern winter hiking boots could do the trick. I think my aesthetic has gone so far off the sufu look the past few years but as time goes on (and I get lazy) I'm getting more into practical clothing that's pretty drab lol...Need my footwear to catch up!

^RW Moc toe was pretty slick IME, used to wear them as well...Of the top sufu approved, only my White's really cut it, esp. the ones with heavy lugs but they're way too heavy and kill my ankle flexibility after a few hours. Sneakers changed my life for the worse after wearing them the past two years because they made me realize how comfortable life could be lol. Ultimately, I appreciate the comfort and flexibility of them despite their disposable mass produced nature. Overall the heritage look is dead to me, as awkward as it is for me to say in superdenim, :o but that's sort of my mindset and what I'm looking for at this point!

4 hours ago, aho said:

^RW Moc toe was pretty slick IME, used to wear them as well...Of the top sufu approved, only my White's really cut it, esp. the ones with heavy lugs but they're way too heavy and kill my ankle flexibility after a few hours. Sneakers changed my life for the worse after wearing them the past two years because they made me realize how comfortable life could be lol. Ultimately, I appreciate the comfort and flexibility of them despite their disposable mass produced nature. Overall the heritage look is dead to me, as awkward as it is for me to say in superdenim, :o but that's sort of my mindset and what I'm looking for at this point!

Red Wing Ice Cutters could do.

RW02930C_MUL_N1_1115.jpeg

On 30/10/2018 at 2:29 AM, aho said:

^Not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest lol

Wore Maine Boots (the green heritage ones) a few years back and they certainly did the job but unfortunately wore down within one season due to all the city/concrete walking. Looking for something a bit lighter, flexible, non-ubiquitous, and was thinking some of the modern winter hiking boots could do the trick. I think my aesthetic has gone so far off the sufu look the past few years but as time goes on (and I get lazy) I'm getting more into practical clothing that's pretty drab lol...Need my footwear to catch up!

https://www.goruck.com/macv-1/

1 hour ago, Iron Horse said:

What about some Moonstar All-Weathers?

That's a good recommendation.. or the new Ventile Buzz Rickson hi-tops.

5bda791739eab_ScreenShot2018-10-31at8_54_12PM.thumb.png.20587054927985f8c673b7e42cf758b6.png

On 10/28/2018 at 10:54 PM, aho said:

@aho I've been meaning to respond to your post. I'm in a similar quest for literally years now, trying to find winter footwear. My concerns are similar to yours, but a little different. I been wearing primarily barefoot shoes for going on 5 years now, and now I can't wear conventional shoes/boots for more than a couple of hours a time. My most worn pair is Vivobarefoot Hand-cut Porto (hand cut and made in Portugal. They're really god for what they are). However, Vivo's winter footwear offerings are pathetic. 

I've made a couple of attempts at custom and resoled boots. I had Russell Moccasin make me a couple of pairs. They are nice boots, well made, rugged. Rather wabi-sabi, shall we say. And I can't say enough about how nice and accommodating they are. That story deserves it's own post someday... I also had a pair of Chippewa Arctic boots resoled with no heel, but they are so uncomfortable I can't wear them at all. I'm not really into Sorels or Bean Duck boots. For really serious pacs, Schnee's and Hoffman are superior, but way beyond my needs. So my quest continues, and I have some new possibilities... 

On the lower end, Converse and Vans both make winter sneaker boots. Con's are way too narrow for me, so they are out. Vans has been making snow boarding boots for 25+ years, and they know a thing or two about insulation and traction. They run a bit wider, so I'm considering something from them for knocking around in. For true work boots, Thorogood make some insulated options... but I've never owned a pair... 

For my top pic, it's prolly gonna be - get ready for it - Uggs. Yeah, I  know. Uggs. They actually have a couple of models that pretty well tick all the boxes I'm looking for in winter boots. This Harkley Waterproof Boot  is the one I'm most interested in - waterproof, shearling lined, flat no heel, resoleable. This version has a close, neat trim at the edge of the sole. They offer a Horween option, but it's got their signature rounded over edge on the top edge of the sole, making them even more Uggly than they need to be. And I'm not a fan of white wedge soles at all; I'd have them replaced right away, and maybe it'd look a bit better. 

If you come up with anything else, lemme know. Cheers! mpp