Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

21 hours ago, Planetarium said:

finally got measured and pulled the trigger on whites after all my time on this forum, a mighty FF width

now here's hoping I can "forget" they're being made so the next two months aren't excruciating!

I'm actually debating on sending mine to get widened to a E width.  It's expensive so that means I will be dipping into the "denim fund" if I decide to pursue it.  My main concern would be if it alters the look drastically but Baker's said it wouldn't.

Wearing thin dress socks for now.  I believe the leather lining plus the 4811 last adds to the narrowness of the boot.

It shouldn't alter too much, they're already a pretty bulky boot no matter what. I'm now wondering if I should switch over to the swing last. Anybody who's owned both the standard semi dress and the swing last have comparisons to offer? I won't be having a celastic toe and my primary need is lots of toe space.

Anybody get truly outlandish size suggestions from Kyle at Baker even after doing all the tracings and measurements? I got rid of all my too narrow shoes and found comfortable options in 7EE in Thorogood, 7.5 in Blundstone, and 8EEEE from New Balance. He's telling me to order a 10E on the Swing Last which would be enormously long. Not really sure how to proceed from here. Perhaps cancel the order and go directly to White's, or do they tend to assess measurement kits the same way?

Edited by Planetarium

@PlanetariumSomewhat.  I do feel I should've went with a EE width instead of a D width as suggested by the tracings for mine.  The leather lining adds decreased width.  Now I know why the Japanese shops on Rakuten do this width for a reason because of the narrow style of my boot.  

Just a heads up, it is very costly to up or down a width in a rebuild, at least on my end.  It will run me $250-275 to get them widened to a EE width.  I'm looking to do mine next year I guess.  No Wesco right now until the rebuild is settled.

Edited by mlwdp

On 10/17/2018 at 1:43 AM, kicks79 said:

Any Yuketen fans? I've been living in my pair of Ghillie Mocs. I found them pretty versatile. 

would like to be, but unsure how to justify price for their relative simplicity ... but in terms of a simple but developed moc style camp shoe I think they pwn all competition ...  hoping yr pics upload sometime ...

I've been interested in Yuketen's take on Birkenstock-style sandals for a while, but would probably want a chance to try them on before buying. My 10-year-old Chacos are still going strong, but won't be for much longer…

I feel like I'm selling my car, but I put my Smoke jumpers on for sale.  Will build the boot again in the e width to accomodate wide foot and spenco insoles unless I go all out for Wesco boss.  Had to consider foot health and fit.  Taking offers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202480293346

Edited by mlwdp

High-top 3.1 Phillip Lim boots with knotted cords over the pebbled leather upper. A thick rubber lug sole completes the all-terrain appeal. Padded top line. Concealed side zip. Leather sock liner. Steel Toe tip

https://www.grailed.com/listings/4959371-3-1-Phillip-Lim--WINTER-GRAIL-Summit-Knotted-Zip-Boots

Very pleased with these cheap Chippewas I got off ebay a couple of months ago.  They are not made of the highest quality materials (eg, there is a plastic fake leather welt of sorts at the back of the boot), and while they say made in the US that is apparently debatable.  Acc to another site a guy cut a pair open and it said made in the China in the toebox.  So maybe "partly assembled" in the US is more likely.  Nevertheless, I am pleased with them.  I bought a similar pair about 15 years ago (which interestingly said made in China at the time), and I wore them regularly for over 10 years.  We'll how long these go.  They make good motorcycle boots, but also everyday wear.

PA263091.JPG

Edited by tod

And while I am at it, here are two pics of my Rolling Dub Trio coupen boots (aka work shoes).  I like these a lot, but I have to say that I am slightly disappointed on the workmanship for expensive Japanese bench built boots.  You can only see a hint of it, but there is some loose stitching on the left boot, where the top quarter/eyelets are stitched to the vamp.  And I know creasing is hard to predict, but I don't like the way the CXL on these has worn compared with other CXL boots I've had.  Ah well, not perfect, but still glad I have them..

PA263093.JPG

PA263094.JPG

@todAre we talking Harley or?  I can't see cork soles providing much traction or stability, especially for kick starts and stops on steep and slippery surfaces, but that's just me.  I use my oxfords with the vibram 2021 sole for support.

22 hours ago, mlwdp said:

@todAre we talking Harley or?  I can't see cork soles providing much traction or stability, especially for kick starts and stops on steep and slippery surfaces, but that's just me.  I use my oxfords with the vibram 2021 sole for support.

Triumph Bobber.  The Chippewas have a hard rubber sole actually. Grippy enough for traction, but not so soft that they are going to wear too quickly.  I think I'd miss having a heel if I wore the Vibram squishy soles...

I'm going to get flack for this, but any good winter/waterproof boots out there, sufu approved? I've given up on my White's and Alden's given the weight, but I still want something light and flexible ala sneakers that'll get me through the winter. Are the following just too mainstream and poorly made?:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tremblant-6-inch-polar-waterproof-ice/35129M.html?dwvar_35129M_color=J33187#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

I don't mind getting more technical winter hiking boot looking, but I really don't know where to start...I don't want to go Danner

On 27/10/2018 at 11:49 AM, kicks79 said:

Finally got a pic of my Yuketen Ghillie Mocs.

I thought we could upload pics straight from a desktop? I can't seem to remember how to do that?

45573899691_105a0ace91_k.jpg

I have 3 Yuketen mocs, love them all. 

Aesthetically they’re amazing but they do have design flaws in regards to their mocs.

I’m surprised no one ever mentions anywhere how the Maine mocs don’t provide any heel support as there is no stiffner or stiff leather that supports the sides or back. (The back strap doesn’t actually provide support especially once the leather soften/ages).

It’s not nessassarilly a problem with 5”+ models as you can wrap the laces around for support. 

But for the hand sewn oxford type models with Vibram 2021 or rocker outsole, it’s a real hazard twisting your ankles.

What’s the point of having a steel shank in the sole if the rest of shoe has no support.

end rant.

9 hours ago, aho said:

I'm going to get flack for this, but any good winter/waterproof boots out there, sufu approved? I've given up on my White's and Alden's given the weight, but I still want something light and flexible ala sneakers that'll get me through the winter. Are the following just too mainstream and poorly made?:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/tremblant-6-inch-polar-waterproof-ice/35129M.html?dwvar_35129M_color=J33187#cgid=mens-winter-boots&start=1

I don't mind getting more technical winter hiking boot looking, but I really don't know where to start...I don't want to go Danner

honestly Timbs are great, the wheat, rust, dark chocolate, and black colorways all fit just fine with the sort of clothing we wear