Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 9/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, givemefive said:

9DC7B931-51DF-4130-957A-03F1CC884ED8.jpeg.7199cf4fea2248f295fbc47a9273b3a9.jpeglusting over these visvim lafayette since I tried them on in harajuku 

finding out from the salesman they were MIPRC kind of turned me off given the 120k yen price. But still they were super nice and fit nice and narrow like I need

9DC7B931-51DF-4130-957A-03F1CC884ED8.jpeg

C13BB51C-EC37-4FBB-B53B-34FB2740FE27.jpeg

9DC7B931-51DF-4130-957A-03F1CC884ED8.jpeg.7199cf4fea2248f295fbc47a9273b3a9.jpeg03D1551A-2B19-4EB0-AD30-EA5CB2578E01.jpeg

You could try to create it with a Bounty Hunter template:

Distressed Roughout or Distressed Smooth vamp and upper shaft

Classic Brown or Brown Chromexcel Counter

Antique Eyes Hardware

Bounty Hunter/Semi Dress last

Natural Edge

Plain Toe

Vibram 700 or mini lug

6 inch

Single Midsole

No celastic toe

Tan liner 

Throw in some brown laces

yeah i thought about that a while back. bounty hunter is too bulky for my taste. also the fit was unclear. the d width was too wide but i couldn’t try another. i had a pair in my hands and decided to return them.  thinking about getting the John Lofgren rough out  instead. haven’t tried them yet. 

Anyone have experience with the sizing on Nigel Cabourn sneakers? The speedway pages for the various models list sizes such as "9.5 / 28cm" and "10.5 / 29cm", which is throwing me for a bit of a loop since I'm used to 28cm being around an 11 and 29cm being around an 12.5 in standard US sizing.

Haven't worn sneakers since I was a kid, so any general sneaker sizing + fit advice is also welcome…

In my experience 28cm is normally a US10 and 29.cm is normally a US11. 

So a US9 would usually be 27.5cm and a US10.5 28.5cm. 

So it sounds like the NC joints run half a size bigger than average. 

I'm a 26.5cm foot and normally take US 8.5. I'm pretty sure the NC joints are made at the Moonstar factory. In Shoes Like Pottery, I need a 27cm. 

^ Good info, thanks. I guess maybe my calibration's been a bit off all this time (not really used to buying shoes sized in centimeters). That's another thing I was wondering: should I expect various Moonstar sneakers to fit similarly / to have similar sizing? Wasn't sure whether or not they had any sort of standardization among the different brands that they do production for…

Haha, its years of buying Japanese footwear in CMs or I would be lost as well.

I found  Doek and SLP to fit fairly similar to each other. Or at least not too different to warrant a different size. I take 27cm or US9 in both.

The only real exception has been the Doek Slip Ons, due to the really low toe profile which made people go up one size.

16 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

Anyone have experience with the sizing on Nigel Cabourn sneakers? The speedway pages for the various models list sizes such as "9.5 / 28cm" and "10.5 / 29cm", which is throwing me for a bit of a loop since I'm used to 28cm being around an 11 and 29cm being around an 12.5 in standard US sizing.

Haven't worn sneakers since I was a kid, so any general sneaker sizing + fit advice is also welcome…

If you have wide feet it may be an issue. I bought the Iron Heart sneakers made by Moonstar but I had to return them. The length was fine but they were much too narrow for my feet. The next size up would have been too long.

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If you have wide feet it may be an issue. I bought the Iron Heart sneakers made by Moonstar but I had to return them. The length was fine but they were much too narrow for my feet. The next size up would have been too long.

This is true. I found the fit on SLP or Doek means that you generally have half a centimetre of extra length to accommodate the width issue. Some people are okay with this, some are not. I had this exact issue with the Warehouse sneakers. 

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, mlwdp said:

Is that a double midsole?  Very rare to see Nick's on here, obviously due to the wait times from them.

Back from the hiatus, I thought I had replied back then but apparently not as my message was saved in the editor. I wrote:

Single midsole, regular heel-height, Vibram #269 out sole, close trim, black edges, Seidel brown domain leather, lined, 5332 last, #2 toe, black hardware (more like gunmetal)

This is the "stock" version of this shoe, ordered directly from Nick's. I'm still a bit on the fence regarding the fit (not that it would be realistic to send them back) but the arch-ease is quite a bit different from the White's version; not only is it constructed differently (allegedly), but it feels much longer, extending further towards toes.

Right now I'm trying to spec a build with Frank's, but communicating with them is hopelessly slow as they reply max. once a week. Realistically, I might go with Nick's instead: I have a bit of a special "Builder Pro" build in my mind.

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Anybody here have any experience with Spenco insoles?  

https://www.bakershoe.com/product/spenco-comfort-flat-insoles

Not the insoles but I spent the summer in the tropics wearing Spenco flip-flops; they are nice and comfortable, but I find their claims of "arch-support" wildly exaggerated

25 minutes ago, Critical Observer said:

Back from the hiatus, I thought I had replied back then but apparently not as my message was saved in the editor. I wrote:

Single midsole, regular heel-height, Vibram #269 out sole, close trim, black edges, Seidel brown domain leather, lined, 5332 last, #2 toe, black hardware (more like gunmetal)

This is the "stock" version of this shoe, ordered directly from Nick's. I'm still a bit on the fence regarding the fit (not that it would be realistic to send them back) but the arch-ease is quite a bit different from the White's version; not only is it constructed differently (allegedly), but it feels much longer, extending further towards toes.

Right now I'm trying to spec a build with Frank's, but communicating with them is hopelessly slow as they reply max. once a week. Realistically, I might go with Nick's instead: I have a bit of a special "Builder Pro" build in my mind.

What model are you trying to build with Frank's and specs?

5 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

What model are you trying to build with Frank's and specs?

Haven't got that far yet. :D But what I have learnt so far is that they have the good old 4811 last of White's fame in their disposal as well as the #55, probably quite similar to the iteration they use at Nick's; apart from these 2 and the low-arch HNW last, they also have, and I shall quote Frank himself, "others with high and low arch". I suspect their main workboot last is something similar to Nick's 11067, which as per Nick's has higher arch compared to 4811.

If I can manage to engage Frank & co. in a bit more frequent fashion, I would like to spec a boot based on their Type I Commander with the "11067" last, "#4 toe" (don't know what do they call this at Frank's), 7" height, lace-to-toe, Vibram #430, with black rought-out toe and heel-counter, smooth walnut upper, chocolate (or tan teton if possible) rough-out backstay.

I have also learnt that Nick's are willing to humor "special orders", for example "workboots" in "dress leathers"; this is not available on their website nor through Baker's, special orders need to be arranged directly via email/phone. This makes them a really tempting proposition, since their "casual" models don't tickle my fancy but many of their newly-available fancy leathers do.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, mlwdp said:

Speaking of Wesco, they have another 100th Anniversary model coming up next Friday.  It's gonna be an Engineer boot again.  

Mansway boots let the cat out of the bag.  Here's the Wesco 100th Anniversary Engineer models.

IMG_3940.PNG

IMG_3941.PNG

IMG_3942.PNG

IMG_3965.PNG

IMG_3964.PNG

IMG_3963.PNG

IMG_3962.PNG

IMG_3960.PNG

IMG_3961.PNG

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say those new Flat Head engineer boots look amazing. Think I might prioritize those over a leather jacket for the time being.
But I'm also waiting to hear more details about the Lofgren S&S natural horsehide engineers that are due out sometime this year I think?
Tough decision. :ph34r:

On 9/8/2018 at 11:16 AM, Critical Observer said:

Not the insoles but I spent the summer in the tropics wearing Spenco flip-flops; they are nice and comfortable, but I find their claims of "arch-support" wildly exaggerated

I asked someone at Bakers about Spenco insoles.  They said, depending on the boot, it would cause the heel to blow out. :/

43 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Could someone recommend me some nice slip on, mid-height boots (or zipped if they exist)? Some days I put my shoes on and of every two hours it seems and I'd like to be able to speed up thew process...

Here's my trick!:

IMG_5592.thumb.JPG.9a4a8e6125571f94ef88505ac915c0bd.JPG

IMG_5593.thumb.JPG.a3c82b069c3903cc257d9917a020a610.JPG

If you tie a knot in each end of the shoe laces it holds the shoes closed enough not to put too much stress on the stitch point, but leaves them loose enough to slip on and off. You don't trip over your laces, and if you want to be fancy you can always just do them up. Probably pretty heinous by proper shoe care standards, but I wear these every day and take them on and off constantly, without needing to bend down :)

R.M. Williams Chelsea boots? Viberg has some Chelsea and side zip boots. Buttero has some really nice side zips. Can also be found at www.nomanwalksalone.com. Huckberry.com has Astorflex chelsea boots. -