Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Well, as proof that I'm nothing if not consistent, both of my laces broke one-after-the-other this morning while tying up my boots. Any recommendations for good rawhide laces? This was the first time I'd tried them, and the extra give that they offered over the nylon cord or flat waxed cotton that I'm used to was very welcome, even if it resulted in a shorter lifetime. Is there much variation in quality from supplier to supplier? and, for future reference: Is there much that one can do to care for rawhide laces in order to help their longevity?

Bonus boot picture, while I'm here…maybe a year or a year and a half of wear on these so far:

uBlQB61.jpg

shoelacesexpress.com has a good selection of laces, but I haven't used their square rawhide laces 

guardedgoods.com recently started offering rawhide laces 

bakershoe.com works with White's, Wesco, Nick's. Their rawhide lace offerings are probably the same as those offered by the boot makers 

Nothing quite like a new set of laces on an old pair of boots. It looks like those things need some TLC... 

On 04/07/2018 at 5:54 AM, julian-wolf said:

Well, as proof that I'm nothing if not consistent, both of my laces broke one-after-the-other this morning while tying up my boots. Any recommendations for good rawhide laces? This was the first time I'd tried them, and the extra give that they offered over the nylon cord or flat waxed cotton that I'm used to was very welcome, even if it resulted in a shorter lifetime. Is there much variation in quality from supplier to supplier? and, for future reference: Is there much that one can do to care for rawhide laces in order to help their longevity?

Bonus boot picture, while I'm here…maybe a year or a year and a half of wear on these so far:

uBlQB61.jpg

https://www.guardedgoods.com/collections/shoe-laces/products/rawhide-leather-laces

Probally the best leather laces I own. Thickness is consistent and strong, also has a nice waxy soft touch.

4 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Contact Clinch directly. MUCH cheaper than Pancho and Lefty.

This is true but two caveats: Pancho and Lefty offer a 20% discount if you sign up to their newsletter, and shipping from them will be less expensive than from Japan if you’re in Europe.

Edited by Aries

14 hours ago, Aries said:

This is true but two caveats: Pancho and Lefty offer a 20% discount if you sign up to their newsletter, and shipping from them will be less expensive than from Japan if you’re in Europe.

If that 20% discount can go toward Clinch, then yes it might work out given European import charges. I was unaware of the import charge. That is good to know.

3 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

If that 20% discount can go toward Clinch, then yes it might work out given European import charges. I was unaware of the import charge. That is good to know.

Yep I’ve used the discount on Clinch myself and also bought from Clinch direct; works out a bit cheaper overall from P&L.

57 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Thanks all. Ordered a couple pairs of laces from Guarded Goods—should be here mid-next week. Looking forward to it.

let us know what they're like when you get them. 

Where'd you locate the soles @Brenjay? Or were they provided by the cobbler?

I'm soon to need my Real McCoys boondockers to be resoled, anyone have recommendations on where to find that great cork/rubber sole they use? God knows local Melbourne cobblers won't have it.

Edited by Aries

c4vsRxT.jpg

Believe me. When you’re on your feet as long as I am each day. You have to invest in quality boots. Can’t speak highly enough of Whites from Spokane, WA

On 7/3/2018 at 1:29 PM, mpukas said:

Nothing quite like a new set of laces on an old pair of boots. It looks like those things need some TLC... 

Took this comment to heart. Washed them last Thursday with soapy water and an old toothbrush; let 'em dry 'til the weekend then did a good coat of mink oil. Looking and feeling as good as new, now, laces and all.

3o7Ulj3.jpg

Sorry for the unnatural lighting.

13 hours ago, sociallyincorrect said:

Toys McCoy Iron Clad Boots.

No complaints whatsoever, these are one of my faves.

Although I don't own a pair, these are one of my all time faves too. Looking good! 

12 hours ago, mpukas said:

Although I don't own a pair, these are one of my all time faves too. Looking good! 

Thanks mate! Had been beating these boots for a while now. Especially on the occasional trip to Japan. The Amekaji store owners in Japan always mistook it for White’s. I always took that as a complement since White’s boots tend to be priced on the higher side. 

My engineer collection: 

Top Center: Clinch boots by Brass Tokyo in black Japanese vegetable tanned cowhide, red upper stitching, mid brown edge finish, classic narrow last 11" height
Top Right: Wesco x Standard and Strange in Horween olive waxed flesh, motor patrol last, double leather midsole, brown vibram outsoles, 12" height
Bottom Right: Role Club, flat toe last, brown CXL horsehide, dark brown edge finish, one heel lift lower than standard, 11" height
Bottom Left: John Lofgren in natural CXL, 11" height
Top Left: Clinch by Brass Tokyo in Italian vegetable tanned horsehide, light tan contrast stitching, 9" height (I would have gone with 11" if I had the option), natural edge finish, classic narrow last.

JGenCmf.jpg?1

Edited by dudewuttheheck