Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

54 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

^ Yes, that's much too much room. For what it's worth, though, it also looks like you're wearing pretty thin socks. Most folks wear boots with boot socks, which'll help some.

It's been a while since I've worn Vans, but I think I remember fitting a size 12 well, whereas I'm an 11 Brannock. I guess they wanna make the skater kids feel like they have big feet. It's common to size down 0.5–1 from Brannock for Red Wing's Heritage line, so that'd be 1.5–2 sizes down from Vans's vanity sizing.

Thanks @julian-wolf. Editing as I believe I spoke too soon. I tried them again with thick tennis socks now and they feel alright. They are comfortable in length and width. I guess what's worrying me is that almost everybody mentioned here is a break in period and they should be a little uncomfortable/snug out of the box. If that's the case, I do need to size down by a half size.

For all helpful souls, here's some pics of the point where my foot seems to flex. It seems to be at the right place. 

The only thing worrying me is if it's normal to have so much room in the toe box. I have tried to point out in this photo where my toes reach.

I am always afraid of asking any sizing questions on this forum though.

e2e84ca7-09b6-4519-80c2-a6706cf73082-2.jpg

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2067-2.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

Edited by i_denim

They look too big to me, you appear to have 2 fingers room in the toe. When I bought my Red Wing mocc toes, they felt snug (I have wide feet) but have loosened considerably and now fit very well.

I'll second that. I got sized on a brannock in the redwing store as an 8 and bought 7. 

I'm a seven in 3 different pairs of redwing boots. My postman shoes are a bit to snug though I should have sized up half.  

I bought the Saphir Renovatuer today instead of Blackrock  rich n leather for my Bullhide smokejumpers as I have read great things about its usage on this type of leather.  I won't have to worry about it darkening the leather as its already pitch black.  I'm looking forward to using this on my chromexcel Unmarked boots as well.

Cant wait to give my boots and shoes a nice shine!

13 hours ago, Geeman said:

I'll second that. I got sized on a brannock in the redwing store as an 8 and bought 7. 

I'm a seven in 3 different pairs of redwing boots. My postman shoes are a bit to snug though I should have sized up half.  

Returned them and ordered half size down to 10.5D. Thanks everybody for the help.

4 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

That's quite a deal. Lower price for what appears to be better quality than their fellow Indonesian competitors. 

I've ordered these Winson boots after a suggestion of a fellow boot lover from Indonesia. He told me he reckons Winson, Sagara and Jalan Sriwijaya to be the only Indonesian brands that churn out stuff at the same quality level of good western bootmakers. They're surely extremely well made and the design and last are well considered and thought.

They surely are a lot of value for the money.

Edited by volvo240thebest

I used Saphir Renovatuer today on my Unmarked Workman chromexcel boots and my White's Bullhide Smokejumper boots.  The shine really came out from using this polish on both boots.  They look as good as the day I got them.

Last four pics are after using the Renovatuer.

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

Just got a used pair of whites SmokeJumpers for cheap. They need a re sole. 

Anyone got any experience with going through whites for a re sole or baker or another small shop? 

@ecsong187 - talk to Kyle at Baker's. They work directly with White's, and Kyle can give White's specific direction as to what you want done. I've had my SJ's rebuilt by White's a few years ago, and worked directly with them, and they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Someday I'll have them rebuilt again and I'll work with Kyle instead. 

Another option is to have the cobbler, Cody, at Baker's/Drew's resole your boots. He goes by leathersniffer on IG. He can't do a full rebuild, but his resole work is top notch. Depending on the time of year and his work load, his turn around time can be lengthy. 

21 minutes ago, mpukas said:

@ecsong187 - talk to Kyle at Baker's. They work directly with White's, and Kyle can give White's specific direction as to what you want done. I've had my SJ's rebuilt by White's a few years ago, and worked directly with them, and they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Someday I'll have them rebuilt again and I'll work with Kyle instead. 

Another option is to have the cobbler, Cody, at Baker's/Drew's resole your boots. He goes by leathersniffer on IG. He can't do a full rebuild, but his resole work is top notch. Depending on the time of year and his work load, his turn around time can be lengthy. 

Any idea on the time it took to get your SJ rebuilt?  Someone mentioned on the White's thread on Styleforum about the lack of toe cap on mine.  While I wasn't really going for that look at the beginning,  I haven't ruled it out in the future either.

to be clear/fair, at the time I was very pleased with what White's had done. But over time and looking at other boots, including White's, and seeing better workmanship,  I'm not that pleased after all. The stitch-down was pretty rough and the sole edge was over ground so much that in some places the 2nd row of stitching was almost completely ground off. Next time I'll probably use a finer leather, like semi-dress, instead of Domain and no toe cap. 

Whites_Smoke-Jumper_rebuild_05-05-14_12.thumb.jpg.84344ef3c4223e808f6b7bd4ed361314.jpg

Got it thanks! 

I was reading online about someone who had their whites rebuilt. 

He said he had whites do it and the work was terrible. He wasn’t happy at all 

so he sent them to Baker and they put the wrong soles on them. Haha 

Anybody have recommendations on how to clean insides of boots and shoes?

Havig issues with editing the last post so here's some pics of both boots laced up after using Renovatuer.

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

On 6/23/2018 at 11:12 AM, mlwdp said:

Wesco is doing something.

IMG_3016.PNG

Ohh. I have been eyeing the Romeo's by Wesco.