Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I used Saphir Renovatuer today on my Unmarked Workman chromexcel boots and my White's Bullhide Smokejumper boots.  The shine really came out from using this polish on both boots.  They look as good as the day I got them.

Last four pics are after using the Renovatuer.

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2970.JPG

IMG_2971.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

Just got a used pair of whites SmokeJumpers for cheap. They need a re sole. 

Anyone got any experience with going through whites for a re sole or baker or another small shop? 

@ecsong187 - talk to Kyle at Baker's. They work directly with White's, and Kyle can give White's specific direction as to what you want done. I've had my SJ's rebuilt by White's a few years ago, and worked directly with them, and they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Someday I'll have them rebuilt again and I'll work with Kyle instead. 

Another option is to have the cobbler, Cody, at Baker's/Drew's resole your boots. He goes by leathersniffer on IG. He can't do a full rebuild, but his resole work is top notch. Depending on the time of year and his work load, his turn around time can be lengthy. 

21 minutes ago, mpukas said:

@ecsong187 - talk to Kyle at Baker's. They work directly with White's, and Kyle can give White's specific direction as to what you want done. I've had my SJ's rebuilt by White's a few years ago, and worked directly with them, and they didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Someday I'll have them rebuilt again and I'll work with Kyle instead. 

Another option is to have the cobbler, Cody, at Baker's/Drew's resole your boots. He goes by leathersniffer on IG. He can't do a full rebuild, but his resole work is top notch. Depending on the time of year and his work load, his turn around time can be lengthy. 

Any idea on the time it took to get your SJ rebuilt?  Someone mentioned on the White's thread on Styleforum about the lack of toe cap on mine.  While I wasn't really going for that look at the beginning,  I haven't ruled it out in the future either.

to be clear/fair, at the time I was very pleased with what White's had done. But over time and looking at other boots, including White's, and seeing better workmanship,  I'm not that pleased after all. The stitch-down was pretty rough and the sole edge was over ground so much that in some places the 2nd row of stitching was almost completely ground off. Next time I'll probably use a finer leather, like semi-dress, instead of Domain and no toe cap. 

Whites_Smoke-Jumper_rebuild_05-05-14_12.thumb.jpg.84344ef3c4223e808f6b7bd4ed361314.jpg

Got it thanks! 

I was reading online about someone who had their whites rebuilt. 

He said he had whites do it and the work was terrible. He wasn’t happy at all 

so he sent them to Baker and they put the wrong soles on them. Haha 

Anybody have recommendations on how to clean insides of boots and shoes?

Havig issues with editing the last post so here's some pics of both boots laced up after using Renovatuer.

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2996.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

On 6/23/2018 at 11:12 AM, mlwdp said:

Wesco is doing something.

IMG_3016.PNG

Ohh. I have been eyeing the Romeo's by Wesco.

Well, as proof that I'm nothing if not consistent, both of my laces broke one-after-the-other this morning while tying up my boots. Any recommendations for good rawhide laces? This was the first time I'd tried them, and the extra give that they offered over the nylon cord or flat waxed cotton that I'm used to was very welcome, even if it resulted in a shorter lifetime. Is there much variation in quality from supplier to supplier? and, for future reference: Is there much that one can do to care for rawhide laces in order to help their longevity?

Bonus boot picture, while I'm here…maybe a year or a year and a half of wear on these so far:

uBlQB61.jpg

shoelacesexpress.com has a good selection of laces, but I haven't used their square rawhide laces 

guardedgoods.com recently started offering rawhide laces 

bakershoe.com works with White's, Wesco, Nick's. Their rawhide lace offerings are probably the same as those offered by the boot makers 

Nothing quite like a new set of laces on an old pair of boots. It looks like those things need some TLC... 

On 04/07/2018 at 5:54 AM, julian-wolf said:

Well, as proof that I'm nothing if not consistent, both of my laces broke one-after-the-other this morning while tying up my boots. Any recommendations for good rawhide laces? This was the first time I'd tried them, and the extra give that they offered over the nylon cord or flat waxed cotton that I'm used to was very welcome, even if it resulted in a shorter lifetime. Is there much variation in quality from supplier to supplier? and, for future reference: Is there much that one can do to care for rawhide laces in order to help their longevity?

Bonus boot picture, while I'm here…maybe a year or a year and a half of wear on these so far:

uBlQB61.jpg

https://www.guardedgoods.com/collections/shoe-laces/products/rawhide-leather-laces

Probally the best leather laces I own. Thickness is consistent and strong, also has a nice waxy soft touch.

4 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Contact Clinch directly. MUCH cheaper than Pancho and Lefty.

This is true but two caveats: Pancho and Lefty offer a 20% discount if you sign up to their newsletter, and shipping from them will be less expensive than from Japan if you’re in Europe.

Edited by Aries

14 hours ago, Aries said:

This is true but two caveats: Pancho and Lefty offer a 20% discount if you sign up to their newsletter, and shipping from them will be less expensive than from Japan if you’re in Europe.

If that 20% discount can go toward Clinch, then yes it might work out given European import charges. I was unaware of the import charge. That is good to know.

3 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

If that 20% discount can go toward Clinch, then yes it might work out given European import charges. I was unaware of the import charge. That is good to know.

Yep I’ve used the discount on Clinch myself and also bought from Clinch direct; works out a bit cheaper overall from P&L.

57 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Thanks all. Ordered a couple pairs of laces from Guarded Goods—should be here mid-next week. Looking forward to it.

let us know what they're like when you get them.