Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 3/31/2018 at 8:49 PM, spacecadet said:

Brian sure makes beautiful boots. How is the comfort level/arch support? I’m asking because I read something on another forum a year or two, can’t remember where. Anyhow, someone said that everything was on point with their Role Clubs except that they were not their most comfortable pair of boots. Do you agree with this or not? I’m wondering if this should be a potential concern. It was a while ago and maybe Brian has improved the fit over time. BTW, I’m not talking about “sneaker” comfort or anything. I’m talking about all day walking type of support. FWIW my Vibergs are far more comfortable to me than a pair of Nikes if this makes sense.

Sorry it took this long to answer. They are very comfortable imo, the small gripe I have is that the shaft is quite narrow and it takes a bit of effort to get them on/off. On the other hand these are my only engineers, so I can't compare to other makers.

52 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

If anybody here is looking for a nice boot jack, Clinch has one available to purchase from Wolf Pack with international shipping.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/wolfpack/item/clinch-bootsjack/

I bought this directly from Clinch around 2 years back after going through a few crap jacks, and this is by far the best. Worth the extra.

4 hours ago, mrman said:

Sorry it took this long to answer. They are very comfortable imo, the small gripe I have is that the shaft is quite narrow and it takes a bit of effort to get them on/off. On the other hand these are my only engineers, so I can't compare to other makers.

No problem. Thanks for getting back to me.

On 3/28/2018 at 10:44 PM, Brenjay said:

Had a local cobbler remove the old Christy soles on these Red Wings and add the leather mid sole, half soles, and heels.  Did a nice job and I'm very happy with them.

IMG_2933.jpg

I’m looking for something like this besides Red Wing who offers something similar?

6 minutes ago, itschrisb said:

I’m looking for something like this besides Red Wing who offers something similar?

You mean a similar style of shoe? There should be plenty around, like Nick’s Manito Oxford, White’s Retro Oxford, Wesco JH Classic to name a few.

No idea why Americans call them oxfords, mind. 

Edited by Critical Observer

Is Redwing the most affordable boot for a noob? I wear only sneakers though I have some boots from CAT, Timberland and Clarks. I am looking for something lightweight for summer in brown/beige to go with raw denim and Chambray shirts.

Personally I wouldn’t want to wear red wings in the summer. The most popular models are pretty far from light weight (although their weekender series might be an option if you really want red wing). I would suggest a classic with Clarks desert boots in beige suede instead. (Even though I guess these might rub som people in India the wrong way).

21 minutes ago, Spiraltoy said:

Personally I wouldn’t want to wear red wings in the summer. The most popular models are pretty far from light weight (although their weekender series might be an option if you really want red wing). I would suggest a classic with Clarks desert boots in beige suede instead. (Even though I guess these might rub som people in India the wrong way).

Clark’s are way cheaper and easily available everywhere, I will take a look. 

Why would it rub people in India the wrong way?

Edited by i_denim

For me they (the boots) represent punks, mods and reggae (general British/Jamaican  music culture) but for the older Indian guard they might represent British colonialism, I don’t know.

8B62FA5E-33DC-4110-8B68-A0F451684528.jpeg

Edited by Spiraltoy

6 minutes ago, Spiraltoy said:

For me they (the boots) represent punks, mods and reggae (general British/Jamaican  music culture) but for the older Indian guard they might represent British colonialism, I don’t know.

Hahaha, I see what you mean. I no longer live in India so I guess I'm safe :)

Clarks desert boots are quite popular in the fashion circles in India, Middle East and a few places that I frequently visit in Europe. My brother's wife was wearing them the other day in Paris.

I think I will pick me a pair as the previous ones I had were from Levi's and are about to be retired.

Thanks bud.

Anyone got tips for cleaning roughout boots? I just got a replacement pair of laces for my boondockers and I figured now is as good a time as ever to give them a deep clean. Over the years I’ve just brushed them regularly and that’s about it...

On 4/6/2018 at 7:42 PM, Critical Observer said:

You mean a similar style of shoe? There should be plenty around, like Nick’s Manito Oxford, White’s Retro Oxford, Wesco JH Classic to name a few.

No idea why Americans call them oxfords, mind. 

Wiki says:

"Oxfords first appeared in Scotland and Ireland, where they are occasionally called Balmorals after Balmoral Castle. However, the shoes were later named Oxfords after Oxford University. This shoe style did not appear in North America until the 1800s.[3] In the United States, Oxfords are called "Bal-type" as opposed to "Blucher-type". In France, Oxfords are known as Richelieu."

Passive voice of course omits just who changed the name, though.

8 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Wiki says:

"Oxfords first appeared in Scotland and Ireland, where they are occasionally called Balmorals after Balmoral Castle. However, the shoes were later named Oxfords after Oxford University. This shoe style did not appear in North America until the 1800s.[3] In the United States, Oxfords are called "Bal-type" as opposed to "Blucher-type". In France, Oxfords are known as Richelieu."

Passive voice of course omits just who changed the name, though.

A shoe like White’s Retro ”oxford” is actually called ”derby”, identifiable by the way the quarters are stitched on top of the vamp, while an actual oxford shoe looks very different, with quarters sewn under the vamp. 

White’s Retro ”oxford”, a derby shoe:

53905600011.jpg

An actual oxford shoe:

629145_mrp_fr_xxl.jpg

”Balmoral” is an alternative way to call an oxford. 

3 hours ago, Critical Observer said:

A shoe like White’s Retro ”oxford” is actually called ”derby”, identifiable by the way the quarters are stitched on top of the vamp, while an actual oxford shoe looks very different, with quarters sewn under the vamp. 

White’s Retro ”oxford”, a derby shoe:

An actual oxford shoe:

”Balmoral” is an alternative way to call an oxford. 

Thanks for that, I'm not much of a low-cut dress shoe guy. :blush:

I need to carry this guide around in my pocket:

Oxford-v-Derby-Shoes1-830x415.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

I’m not a big authority on the subject either, but the gist here is that the workwear (inspired) lace-up shoes/boots are generally derby-style, while oxford is a distinctly more formal, dressier style of a shoe/boot. 

My Nick’s Manito high-arch ”oxfords” have arrived on the old continent and are currently in the stern yet righteous hands of the local customs authorities; I should have them by midweek, feeling anxious/nervous as ever about this blind-buy. 

I've been looking for a pair of boondocker-esque boots for quite a while now and I'm happy to say I finally copped the perfect pair. I like them a lot more than viberg's boondocker, and about the same as the Real McCoy's N1 Field shoe, which is now sold-out and like twice the price...

Visvim Zermatt

Cu91PvC.jpg

S4X5hcI.jpg

CaggY6U.jpg

B5m2Aoe.jpg

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Critical Observer said:

My Nick’s Manito high-arch ”oxfords” have arrived on the old continent and are currently in the stern yet righteous hands of the local customs authorities; I should have them by midweek, feeling anxious/nervous as ever about this blind-buy. 

IMG_9542.JPG

IMG_9543.JPG