Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

23 hours ago, ElTadashi said:

I they are still around. They seem to be a more budget friendly made in USA brand like Throgood but, seem to be more geared towards work boots only.

I remembered when they tried to make a "Archive" collection a few years ago.  Don't know what happened to it.  Seems like most of the models got discontinued or landed on EBay.  

A scathing opinion on this collection:

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/2013/06/chippewas-not-so-original-engineer-boot.html?m=1

2 hours ago, ElTadashi said:

Ahh. I never seen that collection before myself. Typically I see Chippewa boots in  general work boot shops.

Rakuten used to be a great place to get hard to find Chippewa boots.  I remember a couple members here liked their models.  Once Chippewa started offering their same models on their US site,  Rakuten prices went down.  I think Chippewa even has their own Rakuten store now.

8 hours ago, fre-co said:

Today I wore my cigar shell indys to go and buy some Black Sign Tokyo service shoes

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

Post more pics of these!

It's not everyday you see Black Sign on here!  Black Sign has been on my radar lately, mostly thec clothing though.  How did you get these?  

I’m in Tokyo right now - the store is in ebisu. They have some great stuff and the guy there was very helpful and friendly.

They had a nice selection of Wesco and whites and about 4-5 black sign original boots - each in different colors.

denim, shirts, jackets, leather, accessories etc was all excellent looking.

Definitely a brand to keep an eye on. 

19680B16-0926-4B46-86C1-DC3ED577E92F.jpeg

42A3407C-9E14-45D4-8A45-1CEDE1E6F1E7.jpeg

CA71DE4A-424A-4C24-A848-25555810311B.jpeg

Edited by fre-co

On 2/22/2018 at 8:21 PM, Iron Horse said:

Red Wing Pecos today:

GHxYn1X.jpg

Those look sharp in suede. When I was growing up in south Texas everyone had the regular brown leather Pecos. The more scuffed up the better. We’d do everything we could to scratch them up as quick as possible haha

17 hours ago, Bbressler said:

Those look sharp in suede. When I was growing up in south Texas everyone had the regular brown leather Pecos. The more scuffed up the better. We’d do everything we could to scratch them up as quick as possible haha

Yeah, the more roughed up the better, same goes for these roughouts :D

4 hours ago, MJF9 said:

The Lofgren M43 look great @Iron Horse.

Has anyone tried/owned both the Lofgren M43 and the Viberg Boondocker? Would be interested in views on how they compare?

(It looks like the Viberg on the 2045 last, rather than the 2030, is more akin to the Munson in terms of shape.)

I have not tried on or owned any Lofgrens, but I have a 2045 boot. The 2045 is very much a Munson last. Tons of toe room with a narrower heel.

Scored a pair of vintage made in Ireland Clark Wallabees so I thought I'd throw up some comparison pics against my run-of-the-mill pair.

8FAJTkA.jpg

q7iDdgH.jpg

ILR8MM6.jpg

The crepe is much stiffer on the Ireland pair, the one on the left, though I can't tell if its a product of age. I upgraded the laces on the pair on the right, the original laces were terrible. The Ireland pair's laces are elastic which is interesting. The leather on the Ireland pair actually seems a little thinner but in terms of quality/aesthetics the clear winner is Ireland. My pair was made in Vietnam though many others are made in China. The Chinese pairs also come with leather trim around the ankle.

I've recently been into brands such as John Lofgren, Moto, and Alden, but these Red Wings caught my eye. They're the 1930s Sport Oxford, and they're probably the most attractive shoe I've seen from them in a while. The black version is the 8070, and the brown is the 8071.

I may need to cop.

On 28/02/2018 at 12:26 PM, Iron Horse said:

These look to be made by Attractions; they also make the Arrow engineer for Trophy.

I stumbled across the Trophy store - very close to Black Sign. Their lace up tanker boots also look great.

3 hours ago, fre-co said:

I stumbled across the Trophy store - very close to Black Sign. Their lace up tanker boots also look great.

The one on Tokyo?  I'm trying to make a trek out there and that's one of the places I plan on going to!

Wesco has been teasing on their Instagram lately about their 100th anniversary collection coming up and Dr. Sole has a official collab with White's Boots coming up as well.  

IMG_2591.PNG

IMG_2590.PNG