Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 1/11/2018 at 3:25 AM, mikecch said:

Super interesting boot for sure. 

Why CXL and not something like Essex, at least though. I've never understood CXL on expensive boots, but Japanese brands like Lofgren, RDT and my own pair of Monad boots are the same...

CXL is 5 bucks a square feet. 

True that  why cxl?!?

6 hours ago, edmond said:

True that  why cxl?!?

It's a great work boot leather for sure, and truly Americana. 

But given the material cost and the actual quality of the leather, better suited for sub $500 boots. 

I certainly don't miss the days back in 2011 when absolutely everything was made with CXL. Now everything is shell which isn't so much better - where's the grain? Is it leather if it has no grain? ;)

I recently saw a Japanese boot maker offering Baker's oak bark leather, which is pretty cool. 

4 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Doesn’t Lone Wolf use CXL?

Yes, I think CXL, various latigo leathers, etc. 

I think for strict repro boots those leathers are great. 

On 1/14/2018 at 12:06 PM, mikecch said:

It's a great work boot leather for sure, and truly Americana. 

But given the material cost and the actual quality of the leather, better suited for sub $500 boots. 

I certainly don't miss the days back in 2011 when absolutely everything was made with CXL. Now everything is shell which isn't so much better - where's the grain? Is it leather if it has no grain? ;)

I recently saw a Japanese boot maker offering Baker's oak bark leather, which is pretty cool. 

Yes, I think CXL, various latigo leathers, etc. 

I think for strict repro boots those leathers are great. 

Sounds interesting using Bakers oak bark leather for boots. Do you have any pics or additional details on the Japanese maker? I’d imagine it would be pretty stiff so I’m curious what thickness it needs to be reduced down to in order to make it wearable?

10 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Sounds interesting using Bakers oak bark leather for boots. Do you have any pics or additional details on the Japanese maker? I’d imagine it would be pretty stiff so I’m curious what thickness it needs to be reduced down to in order to make it wearable?

Sorry buddy, no additional information from me.

I'm guessing the thickness would be around 3 oz. Maybe 5 oz if they oil the leather up beforehand.

Ha, spot on @Iron Horse; yep @Broark.

I have a pair of cognac badalassi "short shift" in 10.5 but they just don't fit my feet right. These were in 11 and they fit really, really well.

Perhaps it's something to do with the longer shaft? Or perhaps the "short shift" last is different? I dunno, feet are weird...

Speaking of which, selling my short shifts on eBay for serious discount, if anyone's interested.

Few recent acquisitions.

Clinch Lineman in Timber Chromexcel 

Julian Bowery in Cognac Kangaroo

Very impressed with both pairs. Clinch in particular. I compared the finishing with my Crockett&Jones Handgrade and boy the Clinch are every bits as comparable. Julian's finishing isn't as refined but still very very nice, along the same line as benchgrade Northampton shoes.

White's Bounty Hunter in Red Dog worn about a year for comparison.

Once I have more free time I would love to take more photo and do some write-ups on them. 

20180123_120830.jpg

Edited by DhaaDhaaa

2 hours ago, edmond said:

oh fuck yeah? how do they fit compared to the whites after you size up one?

at least for the NPT last and my white's, which is in 55 last, the NPT is narrower and very slightly longer, though with less room in the toebox. the whites fit wider around the ball and the toebox and is roomier in general, albeit very slightly shorter. 

Edited by DhaaDhaaa

Decided to put these up for sale on EBay under same name as they're collecting dust and were too big.  A impulse buy I didn't really like afterwards. They just weren't meant for me.

IMG_2257.JPG

Edited by mlwdp