Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Ha, spot on @Iron Horse; yep @Broark.

I have a pair of cognac badalassi "short shift" in 10.5 but they just don't fit my feet right. These were in 11 and they fit really, really well.

Perhaps it's something to do with the longer shaft? Or perhaps the "short shift" last is different? I dunno, feet are weird...

Speaking of which, selling my short shifts on eBay for serious discount, if anyone's interested.

Few recent acquisitions.

Clinch Lineman in Timber Chromexcel 

Julian Bowery in Cognac Kangaroo

Very impressed with both pairs. Clinch in particular. I compared the finishing with my Crockett&Jones Handgrade and boy the Clinch are every bits as comparable. Julian's finishing isn't as refined but still very very nice, along the same line as benchgrade Northampton shoes.

White's Bounty Hunter in Red Dog worn about a year for comparison.

Once I have more free time I would love to take more photo and do some write-ups on them. 

20180123_120830.jpg

Edited by DhaaDhaaa

2 hours ago, edmond said:

oh fuck yeah? how do they fit compared to the whites after you size up one?

at least for the NPT last and my white's, which is in 55 last, the NPT is narrower and very slightly longer, though with less room in the toebox. the whites fit wider around the ball and the toebox and is roomier in general, albeit very slightly shorter. 

Edited by DhaaDhaaa

Decided to put these up for sale on EBay under same name as they're collecting dust and were too big.  A impulse buy I didn't really like afterwards. They just weren't meant for me.

IMG_2257.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Haven't figured out how to incorporate these into my style but at $15 from Goodwill I couldn't say no.

Doc Marten 3989 in really good condition. They were just extremely dusty when I got them-- couldn't even make out the yellow stitching. The 'before' picture is already after brushing off all the dust though.

qeSkX0j.jpg

After some mink oil:
GZJQtJA.jpg

Album with more pics if anyone is interested. https://imgur.com/a/WDuWo

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Bakers Oxfords resoled for the third time.  Went with the white gloxi cut for a change of pace.  They are much lighter than the christy sole I had on there and about as spongy as the original 2021.

Edit: LOL, there is some weird compression happening in the pics, maybe because i shot in portrait orientation but these shoes look smaller than they actually are

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Edited by garden gnomes in space

3 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Whatever happened to the brand Chippewa?

I they are still around. They seem to be a more budget friendly made in USA brand like Throgood but, seem to be more geared towards work boots only.

So heres a quick shot of my Redwing rebuild. 

They started out as 875s on a Christy sole and now have a Full storm welt on leather mid sole and Dr.Sole raw cord sole and heel. The mid and welt were stained and waxed as well. 

Here with a black flat waxed lace, but Felix (the bookmaker) recommends a brown to sit properly on these. 

The new welt will most likely darken over time, and I'm tempted to wax them with a slightly darker wax to bring them down a tone. All in good time. 

There's also a few very neat touches that were thrown in that I've just noticed today. I'll update all of this further with detailed pictures.

To all intents and purposes these boots are (almost) new, in that they look and feel (better) and have been hand remade. I couldn't be happier with them. I've already voiced the idea of a pair of handmade boots, maybe boondockers....?

Felix is based in Shoreditch, London, and hand makes boots to order This is something people in the UK will be pleased to hear. 

If you especially like Engineers you should definitely check him out. 

https://www.instagram.com/felixjouanneau/

Edit: put a couple of extra pictures up.

Here

PSX_20180222_142226.jpg

PSX_20180222_142359.jpg

Edited by UkeNo

23 hours ago, ElTadashi said:

I they are still around. They seem to be a more budget friendly made in USA brand like Throgood but, seem to be more geared towards work boots only.

I remembered when they tried to make a "Archive" collection a few years ago.  Don't know what happened to it.  Seems like most of the models got discontinued or landed on EBay.  

A scathing opinion on this collection:

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.com/2013/06/chippewas-not-so-original-engineer-boot.html?m=1