Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Has anyone here actually tried to put insurance on their shoes or boots?  Just curious.  Have no idea if this is even possible.

edit:  apparently, you can put insurance on them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eustaciahuen/2015/09/23/aig-launches-couture-insurance-for-clothes-and-shoes/

Edited by mlwdp

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Has anyone here actually tried to put insurance on their shoes or boots?  Just curious.  Have no idea if this is even possible.

edit:  apparently, you can put insurance on them.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/eustaciahuen/2015/09/23/aig-launches-couture-insurance-for-clothes-and-shoes/

I have herd that you can insure pretty much anything granted your are willing to pay for it and a person who can write up the policy. I have herd of high end glass art that is used for smoking being insured as art.

White's semidress resoled by Ger Wijsman in Nederlands.
Went from Vibram 700 midsole + Quaubaug heels to Dr Sole raw cord full outsole and black rubber heel. Huge change comfort wise, Dr Sole is unbeatable...

BEFORE

_DSC2949.thumb.jpg.9a9adcaac2f3a152bdc76673e4f68fbb.jpg_DSC2948.thumb.jpg.d82f290b0b01c6d6ac4537021688b4dc.jpg

AFTER

_DSC3365_LR.thumb.jpg.372f63b8aa8c79ac9d97c527842184c4.jpg_DSC3364_LR.thumb.jpg.1c288367898f5a56d753b8a953c90ee3.jpg_DSC3362_LR.thumb.jpg.b4dea4183f8ab1b7923c99e9614577a1.jpg_DSC3361_LR.thumb.jpg.79aaa93f40949f01ac490aab0deba389.jpg

Edited by volvo240thebest

45 minutes ago, Cucoo said:

Looks great. How much higher is the heel now with the full sole vs. half sole before the resole?

Just a few mm according to Ger Wijsmans, enough to accommodate the thicker sole.

14 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Volvo, have you noticed a difference in the weight of the boots now when wearing them?

It's not noticeable when wearing the boots.

IMG_5158.thumb.JPG.11b83f1e85b5314a363bf12d24d5e7ad.JPG

I got my shit-kickers repaired!

I have had these since new in my freshman year of high school. Through the years, I have worn them to near death, having them re-soled and re-heeled as necessary. This is the third bottom sole, fifth heel sole, and fourth heel block that has been on these boots.

I wore them for long stretches during my high school years, despite getting mocked for them. I wore them all through my trip to England in my teens.

During my eight years in the navy, these were the only civilian shoes I had. I wore them in to boot camp, and they sat sealed in a plastic bag hanging from my locker the entire time I was there. Once I got to Nuclear Power School, I started wearing them again, whenever I wore civilian clothes. They have traveled tens of thousands of miles beneath the Pacific and Indian Oceans, and the Persian Gulf, not seeing much use but during my free time, and occasionally being snuck in to a watch (the navy word for a work shift). In the navy, I eventually wore the bottom sole out, along with another heel, and had the boots repaired yet again.

I wore them off and on in my years following the navy, finally wearing through yet another bottom sole and heel. At this point, probably due to a combination of laziness, forgetfulness, and lack of financial ability (being a student at the time), I failed to repair them when they needed it. They sat perhaps 5–6 years.

Several months ago, I came across them while digging through old stuff, and I decided to have them repaired again. They sat in my wife's car for many months. They finally made it to the shoe repair guy a few weeks ago.

I don't think they've been this black since they were new. The lower portion was pretty much entirely gray-brown when I dropped them off. Now they're better than ever, with a thick Vibram sole this time. Time to go kick some shit!

I don't know what brand they are, but it's nothing "good" – no leather at all outside of the uppers and the insoles (other than the few runs of leather welt that have replaced missing runs of the original plastic welt). I found out only recently that they are technically called harness boots. I always just called them shit-kickers (something my dad called them when I first came home with them). And yes, they used to be flat-toed, but have lost that shape over the years.

I had the shoe guy shorten the heel block about 1–1.5 cm this time, making them have closer to a roper-type rise on the heels. I thought about having the harnesses removed entirely during this re-soling, but the shoe guy talked me out of it. Maybe next time...

Edited by 428CJ

I got some of my English shoes rebuilt at Dr. Sole.

Pretty nice work. Corded nitrile soles & heels, natural leather mids and stacks, natural storm welt, Goodyear, Norwegian stitched at the heels:

2XIbPRb.jpg

Got some new boots...

Flat Head Medallion Boots, made of black Chromexcel leather with a quilted cowhide shaft, Vibram #700 sole, and custom FH cast steel buckles.   They're super comfortable right out of the box, which is always a huge plus for me as I can't really handle breaking in stiff boots.

DSCF1221.thumb.jpg.bf080007e2e1bea7a7e2ac1af918e03a.jpg

DSCF1222.thumb.jpg.813ab86466bea9f560bb9053ea3c6e3d.jpg

DSCF1224.thumb.jpg.2ececf75f92fdd173eced4d3edaf31c5.jpg

DSCF1229.thumb.jpg.7b06986ac46f3d97f84275e50175f175.jpg

DSCF1225.thumb.jpg.70b656efba0dce9c32fca8e61bdede72.jpg

Super interesting boot for sure. 

Why CXL and not something like Essex, at least though. I've never understood CXL on expensive boots, but Japanese brands like Lofgren, RDT and my own pair of Monad boots are the same...

CXL is 5 bucks a square feet. 

Edited by mikecch

Bakers Oxfords in red dog roughout. 

Had these since 2012 and they will soon go in for their 3rd resole. Thinking about that split vibrant 2020(?) Gloxi cut sole in white this time around for something different. 

Second sole pic isnt uploading.   it’s basically bald haha 

D920CAC6-3C3E-4838-9B39-70C392304815.jpeg

Edited by garden gnomes in space