Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Just got my 9784s in, the leather is pretty stiff right out of the box.
I went with a size 12, half a size up from my Viberg 2045 and Alden Trubalance sizing. This was definitely a good choice as my feet are a bit wider.
The sole is going to take some getting used to, it's pretty bright compared to the rest of the boot. But I'm sure after wearing them for a couple weeks it'll tone down.
Pretty comfortable though, I don't think the break in period will be very rough. Thanks again to Neil for all the help!
o6Ntj7N.jpg
cWV4IlB.jpg
gxIc9AA.jpg
yITLlcY.jpg

I'm alternating between Mister Freedom Trooper Boots and Red Wing Beckman in chestnut these days, both haven't been treated yet besides wiping off dust and dirt after use. Few months of wear on the Trooper and a few weeks on the Beckman. It's funny how the left boot shows more creasing on both pairs, perks of manual transmission? :D

DSC02974.JPG

DSC02977.JPG

DSC02982.JPG

DSC02983.JPG

White's Boots is re-releasing Max Schaaf's 4Q Chukka again on the 3rd.  They've been popping up on a few JP sites like Klamp Kayo.  Whites Japan has a cool little video on their Instagram of Max in action.

IMG_1865.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Those engineers are great, is that a collaboration that S&S are releasing soon or just a custom makeup for you?
I'm interested in a pair, if I land this new job I'm interviewing with I might have to treat myself.
Assuming I can wear engineers at said job...if not it's a deal breaker. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Broark said:

Those engineers are great, is that a collaboration that S&S are releasing soon or just a custom makeup for you?
I'm interested in a pair, if I land this new job I'm interviewing with I might have to treat myself.
Assuming I can wear engineers at said job...if not it's a deal breaker. :ph34r:

This is the upcoming Standard and Strange collab! As soon as I saw the olive leather and brown vibram soles, I had to have them! 

Depending on the situation, I wear engineers to work myself. Keep in mind that most men in offices wear truly wretched looking shoes that pass for dress shoes, so engineers look like bad ass dress shoes in comparison, unless you're a lawyer. You probably can't wear them in a law office :P 

Oh interesting, I didn't realize that they were the olive waxed.
I saw the photos on Instagram of the worn pair and I don't know if I'm quite sold on the bright green undertones on the high wear areas, I thought they were just a brown or black waxed flesh. Still very nice boots, great profile. I think I'll get a pair of Wesco engineers for my next pair, solid construction and great price point. 
And I know what you mean, a lot of dress shoes I've seen in offices are terrible! I'm wearing my Alden shell cordovan cap toe boots tomorrow, but I'm not quite sure what the dress code is like. I'm hoping that since the office is based here in Austin it'll be a more relaxed environment.

2 minutes ago, Broark said:

Oh interesting, I didn't realize that they were the olive waxed.
I saw the photos on Instagram of the worn pair and I don't know if I'm quite sold on the bright green undertones on the high wear areas, I thought they were just a brown or black waxed flesh. Still very nice boots, great profile. I think I'll get a pair of Wesco engineers for my next pair, solid construction and great price point. 
And I know what you mean, a lot of dress shoes I've seen in offices are terrible! I'm wearing my Alden shell cordovan cap toe boots tomorrow, but I'm not quite sure what the dress code is like. I'm hoping that since the office is based here in Austin it'll be a more relaxed environment.

If cowboy boots are ok, then engineers are fine! 

I love the avocado undertones, but you could easily just polish it with brown or black polish and be totally fine.

Kyle at Bakers originally tried to persuade me into doing the Wesco engineers when the Whites Nomads didn't pan out due to White's not having a last for my size.   But I don't feel too bad about turning it down for my current SJs.

Honestly, Wesco's choices got too confusing (and expensive) and I gave up on it. It wasn't as simple as doing the Nomads IMO.

I still need a engineer boot though, and following Wesco Japan on Instagram is making matters worse. :(

15 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Kyle at Bakers originally tried to persuade me into doing the Wesco engineers when the Whites Nomads didn't pan out due to White's not having a last for my size.   But I don't feel too bad about turning it down for my current SJs.

Honestly, Wesco's choices got too confusing (and expensive) and I gave up on it. It wasn't as simple as doing the Nomads IMO.

I still need a engineer boot though, and following Wesco Japan on Instagram is making matters worse. :(

That's why I just went for the makeup that someone else did with these. They aren't custom, they're just a future release.

With Wesco, it seems like you get better details and leather out of it that way anyway. The custom route doesn't give you the best leather options IMO.

For the wesco engeneers, if the size works and you don't want to go through the custom options I highly recommend looking at the Boss 7400's. It is a model that they keep in stock. The build is is the one they did for the Narrow boss for Wesco Japan but, just their black domain leather and no HH. Dude's Wesco's do look like they have most of the hallmarks of the 7400 build.(MP Toe, 30's? style stitching) 

I have a pair on 7400's that I did have to custom order as I have superwide feet using their wider MP toe last after getting the OK from Wesco. I do agree some builds done for shops do have nicer options than a direct custom order. 

On 26/11/2017 at 3:31 AM, mlwdp said:

White's Boots is re-releasing Max Schaaf's 4Q Chukka again on the 3rd.  They've been popping up on a few JP sites like Klamp Kayo.  Whites Japan has a cool little video on their Instagram of Max in action.

IMG_1865.JPG

Those look nice, but I'm not feeling the "4Q" on the side...

Seems like plain-toe six-inch laceups are the boots du jour; nice to see since if you look back at photos of farmers and other assorted workers of the early 1900s this was just about the most popular style.

Edited by Iron Horse

Wesco is at the top of my list for my next pair of high-end custom boots. IMO, they get fit, finish and style just a little better than the rest. It'll be a spendy boot, but worth it. 

Baker's has a Boss 7400 is stock right now. Great build and options, and a great price. A bit cheaper than if you spec'd this same boot directly from Wesco. 

I'm watching a pair of Yuketen Angler Mocs in 9.5 (they're labeled Ranger Mocs but, judging from the detailing, they're the Angler Mocs) in eBay and am wondering about the sizing. I've done extensive research on Yuketen sizing heard that the Angler Mocs can be TTS, a half size down, a bit large, or anything in between. 

Thanks for any advice!

Here's some on feet pics of my Unmarked Workman boots.  Haven't worn these in a long time due to my White's taking top priority in wear.  Feels weird to go from a made for your foot boot to stock boot. Still look great, chromexcel breaks in nicely. Dog photobomb.

IMG_2032.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

19 hours ago, Cucoo said:

^ That's a great pic with dog mimicking boot presentation :D

Yeah he's sneaky and mischievous at times! The wife and I have thought about putting a camera in the house when we're away to catch him. :D