Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

45 minutes ago, mpukas said:

I think Klondike is RW's best leather. Have you seen a pair IRL? 

Haven’t seen a pair in person yet, might go try a pair on today and see how they are. Not sure how to size on Red Wings. 

2 hours ago, Broark said:

Haven’t seen a pair in person yet, might go try a pair on today and see how they are. Not sure how to size on Red Wings. 

Haven't seen them in person either. But they look awesome. Bought a pair of iron rangers two weeks ago. So I want to use them as much as possible.

Told a friend to buy them. I want to see the break-in in person. Hopefully he buys them :D

4 hours ago, Broark said:

Doesn't Standard and Strange still have them?  If not, Wolfpack has them.

Speaking of leather:

https://support.westernoutlets.com/hc/en-us/articles/227446688-Types-of-Leathers

Corncerning Bullhide leather from personal experience, it's a funny leather to me. On some days, it feels like death due to its stiffness and toughness and on other days, it feels like pillows regarding comfort.  It's a thicker leather when comparing it to Chromexcel and Dress leather as well.  I like that it handles abrasions quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

After having much difficulty sizing and breaking in Red Wings and similar brands, figured it was worth stepping up to go custom fit...

Russell Moccasin Sporting Clays chukka in tan Laramie suede (added one extra set of eyelet rather than typical 3) 

Hathorn (White's) Rainer Oxford, with red dog smooth/rough out

The Russell's are a 9AA and the Whites are a 9C on the northwest last, which is the most perfect fitting shoe I've ever owned. Don't believe this model has the same arch-ease as most other whites, but is still damn comfortable as my primary work shoe, 5-6 days a week. 

The Russells are just on the cusp of feeling too narrow, but I suppose I couldn't also just not be as used to having a shoe feel properly snug in the right places

IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9641.JPG

IMG_9642.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9645.JPG

On 11/2/2017 at 3:34 AM, Fooleo said:

After having much difficulty sizing and breaking in Red Wings and similar brands, figured it was worth stepping up to go custom fit...

Russell Moccasin Sporting Clays chukka in tan Laramie suede (added one extra set of eyelet rather than typical 3) 

Hathorn (White's) Rainer Oxford, with red dog smooth/rough out

The Russell's are a 9AA and the Whites are a 9C on the northwest last, which is the most perfect fitting shoe I've ever owned. Don't believe this model has the same arch-ease as most other whites, but is still damn comfortable as my primary work shoe, 5-6 days a week. 

The Russells are just on the cusp of feeling too narrow, but I suppose I couldn't also just not be as used to having a shoe feel properly snug in the right places

IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9641.JPG

IMG_9642.JPG

IMG_9643.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9645.JPG

How to order from russel?

Wesco X Ship John Trigger Boots.  They are closing in on one year.

11tJi5Tl.jpg

IzG55anl.jpg

Wesco Boss 7400. These just came in the mail today.

TdWbLIkl.jpg

Htyo8bpl.jpg

Just got my 9784s in, the leather is pretty stiff right out of the box.
I went with a size 12, half a size up from my Viberg 2045 and Alden Trubalance sizing. This was definitely a good choice as my feet are a bit wider.
The sole is going to take some getting used to, it's pretty bright compared to the rest of the boot. But I'm sure after wearing them for a couple weeks it'll tone down.
Pretty comfortable though, I don't think the break in period will be very rough. Thanks again to Neil for all the help!
o6Ntj7N.jpg
cWV4IlB.jpg
gxIc9AA.jpg
yITLlcY.jpg