Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

19 hours ago, Cucoo said:

Great to see how a "proper" sole (never liked wedge soles myself) can change a boot. They look really good!

I completely agree. Those RW moc-toe boots look so much better with a proper sole. I've been considering getting a pair just to get them resoled similar to that. Hopefully this christy wedge sole trend will fade soon. 

Well, I don't think crepe soles are a trend considering they've been around since 1952 on Red Wing boots. Granted they weren't made for pounding on concrete, but rather for grass and mud, but they're still more comfortable. Every sole style has its pros and cons; crepe soles are comfortable but have poor traction and wear out quickly. 

These soles will last a heck of a lot longer, but I'm not going to lie and say they're anywhere near as nice to walk all day in. :D

Edited by Iron Horse

@Iron Horse - your right re: crepe soles being around in work boots for a long time. I was referring more to the trend in work wear makers making stylish work boots that will never see real work having crepe soles purely for aesthetics. 

8 hours ago, mpukas said:

@Iron Horse - your right re: crepe soles being around in work boots for a long time. I was referring more to the trend in work wear makers making stylish work boots that will never see real work having crepe soles purely for aesthetics. 

Yeah, I know that the crepe soles are huge among the more shameless corners of the Instagram denim world, but I'd just be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

On 9/3/2017 at 1:23 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

Some shots of my first pair of Clinch boots after being used for a lot of actual work. The latigo leather is super heavy duty. I know this is probably not true, but it feels tougher than even the cordovan that I've handled.

There is a reason I now have two more pairs of Clinch. These are incredible boots.

wnlq2i3.jpg

pz0LoCR.jpg

wWxLA3g.jpg

xQaTy9j.jpg

These look incredible. Is there any reliable way to get a Clinch boot without actually being in Japan? I couldnt seem to find a retailer

2 minutes ago, MasonAlexander said:

These look incredible. Is there any reliable way to get a Clinch boot without actually being in Japan? I couldnt seem to find a retailer

Wolf Pack on Rakuten.

Edited by mlwdp

3 hours ago, MasonAlexander said:

I think the guys over at DenimBro got into Clinch a while ago and ended up getting a few pairs...might be worth checking with them.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:18 PM, MasonAlexander said:

Thank you!

Been meaning to ask you this.  Have you ever tried to get you Broken Homme boots finished and resoled by their guys?  Been trying to contact them on a resole for my Oxfords but they won't answer my emails.

Edited by mlwdp

56 minutes ago, mpukas said:

Does anyone have any experience with Zerrow's? Are there any online retailers? 

Western River and Lahaina sells Zerrows.

I believe they are the Japanese version/competitor to Whites.  Not a fan of the "shiny polished soles" they do though.

Edited by mlwdp

On 9/18/2017 at 7:55 AM, Cucoo said:

I don't dispute that crepe soles have their uses, I just don't like how they look ;) And in my case, literally walking all day isn't a common occurrence so comfort isn't my first priority :D

I had wedge sole red wings and then got White's with vibram 700 and stacked curved heel. TBH the White's are more comfortable, once the heel is worn in to make a smooth transition, and I walk a shit ton every day in them for work. The support the boots give makes up for the lack of cushion. It's like riding a BMX bike vs a mountain bike with suspension. If you land smooth with a good transition, you don't need a bunch of shock absorption.

Edited by Rob060

On 9/29/2017 at 2:04 AM, BrownMetallic said:

Got Wesco kilties & leather insoles installed ... Now they look a lot more similar to the Viberg 146 "Ironworker".

whats the story on these? where'd you get the leather insoles? I've been thinking of ordering some from bakers for a couple pairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a pair of Beckmans, too :) 9013 (Chestnut). Last Sunday Vente Privee had their annual Red Wing sale, I woke up too late and only signed in at 9:03 with the sale starting at 9:00... had to take half a size larger than my usual RW size. So they're a bit large but fine with insole. The waxed laces are a nice surprise, actually long enough which I'm not used to from Red Wing :D (Not many models were on sale this year but €119 for the Beckman is pretty good. Missed out on roughout Blacksmiths though, would have definitely gotten those too if my size had still been available.)

The chestnut leather is a bit more orange-y in natural light than the pics show, but I plan to knock them around all winter and not do a thing treatment-wise, so I hope they'll darken quickly.

Shown here after being worn two days.

DSC_2212.JPG

DSC_2213.JPG

Anyone looking to get the new Red Wing Irish Setter 9874?
I'm not usually a big RW guy (never owned a pair actually) but the Klondike leather looks nice on the moc toe.
Might go try a pair on and see if I fall for them or not.