Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

48 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

I've been looking for a 6" boot that has a toe that will collapse with wear. The Role Club Underdogs look really nice, but it seems like I'd have to wait for years to actually get a pair made. Red Wing Japan's new "Flat Box" boots look like they have a nice shape.

Do you have any interest in Whites smokejumpers? My smokejumpers have an unstructured toe that looked like that pretty much out of the box for me.

6 hours ago, ElTadashi said:

Do you have any interest in Whites smokejumpers? My smokejumpers have an unstructured toe that looked like that pretty much out of the box for me.

Please post your SJ when you get a chance.  I've never seen them with a unstructured toe.  

7 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

I've been looking for a 6" boot that has a toe that will collapse with wear. The Role Club Underdogs look really nice, but it seems like I'd have to wait for years to actually get a pair made. Red Wing Japan's new "Flat Box" boots look like they have a nice shape. 

If you press the play button on the Instagram post I just linked then you'll see how they look after they've been worn-in. Does anyone have any brand suggestions that do the same style (preferably with speed hooks, Goodyear welted, and black)? I do like the look of Vibram 705 soles and 700 heels, but not necessary.

Glad Hand and All American Boot Mfg make a pretty nice boot

RyIX239.jpg

@propellerbeanie A combination of unstructured toe and a leather than is not too stiff will give this effect over time. Most MTO brands can do this for you I think.

Speaking of the Flat Box, I'll see if I can find them in Taiwan when I visit later this year. Might snatch a pair in the black Klondik leather if available.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all. If I am to go MTO, I'll have to do a bit of research to see what's best for me - I think "the paradox of choice" is what usually deters me. I am, however, trying to venture into other brands, so that might be a good way to do it.

Since I'm quite the leather novice, to go for the Flat Box might be the easier option because there isn't really anything that I dislike about it. Probably the only minor thing would be the opening of the boot... Does anyone know if that rolled piece of leather that goes around the circumference of the opening has a proper name? What I'm referring to might not be clear, but as an example, the same thing can be found on their Moc Toe, but not on the IRs.

@Iron Horse

Yeah, those are hot. I've been eyeing those for a little while, but unsure of the best place to pick them up. I know Speedway has them in my size (US 9.5), and Standard & Strange is out of stock. S&S seem to have a better price, so fingers crossed they eventually do a restock... Not sure where else to look.

@propellerbeanie It's called a rolled top.

Not essential really, but many work boots have them. 

Red Wing boots are fine, but their mid and insoles are much thinner than true bench made American boots like White's, etc. 

Definitely at some point try one of the main Pacific Northwestern makers - give Nick's a miss for now, as quality is a bit unstable. White's and Wesco are safe bets. If you go through the right channels they're not too much more expensive compared to Oak Street, Rancourt or Red Wing's better boots, but definitely much higher quality. 

Viberg's are sleeker, but the price hike over the years have been huge. I certainly wouldn't go with them if value for money is important, but otherwise they're nice boots too. 

There are other smaller American makers of course, but I'd start with the more established makers. 

Edited by mikecch

3 hours ago, propellerbeanie said:

@Iron Horse

Yeah, those are hot. I've been eyeing those for a little while, but unsure of the best place to pick them up. I know Speedway has them in my size (US 9.5), and Standard & Strange is out of stock. S&S seem to have a better price, so fingers crossed they eventually do a restock... Not sure where else to look.

I'd shoot S&S a message about a possible restock, because I don't know of anyone else besides them and Speedway that is going to stock the M-43. The latter is a breeze to order through though, and they do returns/exchanges too. :)

those Lofgren boondockers are amazing!

just grabbed a new pair of kicks. Got bored with either Vans (rubber unglued and broke in  several places after one summer of wear) and Chucks (vamp inside pad disintegrated after about 4 months of wear).. These are Excelsior shoes, made in Korea, sold in Eu by Allbluesco in Leeds. They feel and look terrific. The amount of rubber used for this pair is perhaps twice a pair of bog standard chucks, perhaps more... love the look of white canvas and natural leather. For 90 quids shipped and paypaled they're a fine deal I reckon.

cfNjfwW.jpg

22 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Please post your SJ when you get a chance.  I've never seen them with a unstructured toe.  

The build is the following:

10" Smoke jumper

Brown CXL

Vibram 705 sole

rkK0mD2.jpg

Iw6K52j.jpg

s2q6WN4.jpg

4Vx3XnV.jpg

On 9/3/2017 at 3:14 PM, BrownMetallic said:

Actually, soft/unstructured toe is an SJ standard.

Got the wrong impression when surfing the Custom White's thread on styleforum awhile back that a unstructured toe was not the norm.  Kept seeing "I never get a unstructured toe on my Whites" posts there, which I did use as part of my template for my SJ order, besides some ideas from Zodiac of Rakuten since all of their Whites have structured toes to my knowledge.

I got a structured cap in mine.  Makes me wonder what mine would look like without it, featuring the Bullhide leather I have.

11 hours ago, Dunk7 said:

Hi everyone,

who can tell me the name of the leather (only of the brown boots) on the picture. User riff has post it here,

but unfortunately in 2013. The boots are Viberg's "Service Boot".

Thanks in advance!

59ad6cafa33ed_viberg.tumblr_mk2rnumuor1r3l8z4o1_1280-Kopie.thumb.jpg.15b1c42019eb6e1a62a5f8a1f1b3ee11.jpg

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say Cognac CXL.

These SJ have broken in perfectly and still look like they came fresh out of Baker's after 3 months.  I'm always in awe in the amount of craftsmanship White's put into their boots.  Took awhile to break in th double midsole, but they feel great now.  I wear them almost every day.

The bullhide leather is very strong and durable, a somewhat thick leather.  I chose this due to look and appeal.

I feel like a badass rockstar when I'm wearing them.

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1508.JPG

Edited by mlwdp