Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

The Lone Wolf Carpenter boot caught my eye, but they cost £500 at togged in UK! At historypreservation in US, they only cost $480 (£380), which strangely is about the same price as on rakuten.

Anyway i'm not gonna pay for such a big mark up, so i'll put them on the list for whenever i go to Japan.

9 hours ago, edmond said:

What size Are u niro? 

size 9 UK, but i have heard I need to size down to UK 8.5 on these (UK 8.5 is equivalent to US 9.5 or Japan 27.5)

I could buy from rakuten direct, but customs fees are killer :angry:

Edited by Niro

I know Dude has been a customer of Brian the Bootmaker but what about others? What kind of experiences do you have? I know he should be legit, but still...

I'm starting to get annoyed as he kept pushing back the eta of my Role Club engineers. I deposited the mandatory 200$ over a year ago and that should have earned a scheduled spot in a run of boots in March. To make matters worse he doesn't answer my emails. Maybe he's busy collecting deposits from a sucker like me...

Visiting him in LA is not that easy/cheap when living in Europe. I might try to reach him through ig even though I think that if he manages to take in orders through email it should not be that difficult to take care of other kind of customer correspondence through the same medium.

5 hours ago, mrman said:

Visiting him in LA is not that easy/cheap when living in Europe. I might try to reach him through ig even though I think that if he manages to take in orders through email it should not be that difficult to take care of other kind of customer correspondence through the same medium.

agreed. Customer service should be number one priority of any individual/company in the retail industry. Responding to emails from customers (especially customers who have given deposit towards a product) is absolute basics of customer service.

Maybe your emails are accidentally ending up in his junk box or something, so yea trying to reach him through instagram or another means is a good idea.

On 6/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, BrownMetallic said:

@Styleforum is currently conducting this year's 1st VibergGMTO__ thought I'd ask here, if any1 is interested in taking part making [this] urban boots design proposal made:

"SMBH"
Model: 6" SCOUT Boots, 2-tone
Last: 2040
Leather: [Black] Tumbled Horsehide x Roughout Shaft
Construction: GYW StormWelt[Black]
Sole: [Black] Gloxi-cut
Eyelets: 8-Gunmetal
Toebox: Partially Structured toe

Notes:
• [Optional] Kilties
• NO Pull-up Strap
• *Indigo or Grey-Dyed midsole
• All-around__ Grey**Tonal Stitching [including 360• welt stitch]

'Virtually ALL black, so I want to add some textural/tonal features on these.  The **indigo-dyed midsole will eventually fade to a lot less contrasty blue-grayish tint, i presume ... the Gloxicut, I'm amenable to beige [if there are more interests, as long as it gets a grey midsole].

Incidentally, black Camel hide can be a substitute, if tumbled HH is not available. I saw the leather on a pair of derbies IRL @SampleSale ... nice soft high-density leather w/ fine pebble texture.

FD6F924A-6611-4443-9B05-D0DE81826B3F.jpg

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

Gonna be more thAn 600? Was gonna say yes if not more than 500

On 6/24/2017 at 9:35 AM, BrownMetallic said:

@Styleforum is currently conducting this year's 1st VibergGMTO__ thought I'd ask here, if any1 is interested in taking part making [this] urban boots design proposal made:

"SMBH"
Leather: [Black] Tumbled Horsehide x Roughout Shaft
Construction: GYW StormWelt[Black]

Notes:
• [Optional] Kilties
• NO Pull-up Strap
• *Indigo or Grey-Dyed midsole

'Virtually ALL black, so I want to add some textural/tonal features on these.  The **indigo-dyed midsole will eventually fade to a lot less contrasty blue-grayish tint, i presume ... the Gloxicut, I'm amenable to beige [if there are more interests, as long as it gets a grey midsole].

Incidentally, black Camel hide can be a substitute, if tumbled HH is not available. I saw the leather on a pair of derbies IRL @SampleSale ... nice soft high-density leather w/ fine pebble texture.

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2120.JPG

Love the gloxy cut problem is if i step on dog shit 

On 6/11/2017 at 10:36 AM, chicote said:

x-post from self edge thread: some photos of my old john lofgren dessaus, worn about 1.5 years. more photos here.

lofgren-4.thumb.jpg.89518e478eacfdb1761276cf78fae2f4.jpg

lofgren-8.thumb.jpg.6981ca3d5077a098685806d67678e864.jpg

lofgren-6.thumb.jpg.745f2a1452dac5c33f394a4f73626321.jpg

Jesus that's gross, wash your shoes. Canvas shoes, and MOST sneakers in general absolutely do not "age well" FACT.

Edited by Havattack
typo

6 hours ago, Havattack said:

Jesus that's gross, wash your shoes. Canvas shoes, and MOST sneakers in general absolutely do not "age well" FACT.

hey welcome to the forum, and thanks for your feedback! i have been machine-washing these shoes every two-three months since i bought them. however, as the rubber and canvas start to deteriorate, i have been washing them a bit more sparingly for worry they might fall apart. as for your statement that canvas shoes cannot age well, i would agree with cucoo and say that is most certainly a subjective judgment, not a fact. cheers!

X-Post from MF thread

Took delivery of one of the last pairs of trooper boots today. Took a total gamble on sizing (MF says half size down from sneaker size - but I wear US9 in CTs and US10,5 in Vans, so yeah) but the 9,5 fits. Can't wait to start breaking these in!

I totally love the selvedge denim drawstring bag they came in, too.

DSC_0470.thumb.JPG.0bce208c6f8806ed778bbb972f5cd016.JPG

DSC_0474.thumb.JPG.127dd4ab0f9d9c96fe2adfd65a87c8bf.JPG

IMG_20170703_173531_589.thumb.jpg.0a871495f018a2a854867b358a165d0b.jpg

16 hours ago, Cucoo said:

It most certainly is great to see a canvas sneaker where the canvas gives out but the rubber looks fine ;) With standard CTs it's always been the opposite for me, rubber breaking at stress points.

Lofgrens numero uno, though I might have my biases. :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 9:35 PM, BrownMetallic said:

Updated the specs:

"SMBH"

Leather: [Black] Scotch Grain Print Horse Butt ( Italy ) x Roughout Shaft Panel
Construction: GYW StormWelt [Black] ... or ***Stitchdown

Notes:
• [Optional] Kilties
• Pull-up tabs
Grey-stained midsole

Update on the Styleforum x Viberg GMTO:  
FOK updated the possible leather option to Scotch Grain Print Horse Butt (Italy) ... & cuz of the thickness, it can be done on  Stitchdown

Edited by BrownMetallic

6 hours ago, Rob060 said:

Not a fan of the gloxi sole or the fact that they look like police combat boots.

Sorry to hear that:( ... different strokes for different folks, right?! 

I suppose I could've chosen anything other than a Gloxi ... or any other color besides black ... but, i have been hunting for a pair of sensible black boots to replace my aging/worn in Black Indy.

The design concept was semi-inspired by Kyle Reese's (Michael Biehn) BlackTrench X BlackNike hi-tops steez from the first Terminator movie.  

So, 'thought I'd treat this F/W Scout to a stealthy, nimble, "hit-the-ground-running" kinda cross-utility urban concrete trekker fit for city-dwellers.

The tonal stitching + stained midsole + roughout [alt., waxed flesh] shaft are color-blocking features to visually askew from the blunt opacity of a solid black boot.

Btw, the Gloxi is not set in stone,  though the sub has to be in wedge, as well ....

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Aries said:

I went TTS.

edit: I.e., they fit similar to Alden Trubalance.

thanks Aries. And is the fit good for you or on the looser side?

As reading up on alden lasts (as i have no clue on Alden), the consensus seems to be size down half for the trubalance.