Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Even if you send them to Viberg I doubt the 2060 would be stitched down but I could be mistaken.  Ive had a few pairs done locally and they were fine.  The 2060 grips fine on concrete.  Just dont expect miracles anywhere else.  Same with the christy.  I personally love them

Edited by garden gnomes in space

@Broark 'Got the GYW Viberg Derby myself.  Imo, it'll be like a full resole due to its construction ... conversion would prolly be north of 180, depending on who is doing it.

The leather midsole has to come off &  replaced with one that can take in a 360 degree stitch to attach a thin rubber liner__ where the rubber outsole can be glued/cemented. 

I'm planning on a Gloxi-cut  for my 'berg moctoe chukkas ... w/c are on white christys,  so it'll be easier/cheaper to resole.

EA72C745-AAC4-40D4-99B6-6B0B6F23F97B.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Can a last be changed on a boot?  I'm having last minute second thoughts on a boot Bakers is building for me and I'm debating on getting the last changed from standard to semi dress or 461.  Is this possible?

@mlwdp  

When u say "standard", u mean Whites standard SJ?! ... If they're the standard SDs tho, the only difference is the tapered heel, as opposed to a block heel.

re-last, however, means lopping off the entire sole & refitted/molded to the new last, so it's a full resole & relast ... w/c can even be more costly ... plus, u risk the possibility of an effed-up job or a result you're not satisfied.   You're better off selling & ordering a new build u like.

26 minutes ago, BrownMetallic said:

@mlwdp  

When u say "standard", u mean Whites standard SJ?! ... If they're the standard SDs tho, the only difference is the tapered heel, as opposed to a block heel.

re-last, however, means lopping off the entire sole & refitted/molded to the new last, so it's a full resole & relast ... w/c can even be more costly ... plus, u risk the possibility of an effed-up job or a result you're not satisfied.   You're better off selling & ordering a new build u like.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.  I did the SJ in a standard last instead of the semi dress and was wondering what the difference was. The look I'm going for is 

sjroughbk700h_8.jpg

Would the last make a noticeable difference in look anyway?  

Edited by mlwdp

^A standard SJ has unstructured/soft toes & lug soles.

Photo shows SJ aesthetics__ very nice, actually;) ... I think the non-standard build is called FarmerRancher, but not sure.

If u want  the look of an SJ, but the feel/wear of an SD,  then opt for a hybrid:

SJ on SD last Bounty Hunter.

Edited by BrownMetallic

On 5/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, mlwdp said:

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of.  I did the SJ in a standard last instead of the semi dress and was wondering what the difference was. The look I'm going for is 

Would the last make a noticeable difference in look anyway?  

I think they look pretty similar from the side. I can't tell if that pair is a SD last or if its SJ. I think both look good and if you've already made you're order you should feel fine. Either last is a good decision. These are my farmer ranchers - SJ last (4811)

Whites%20PTB%202_zpscrihv7up.jpg

As those lasts show, the SJ looks a bit "stubbier" in the toe box, which I like. But my experience trying both on is that the SJ ends up feeling tighter than the SD, which surprised me.  (It also messed up my sizing because Baker's sent me an SJ in 9.5E as a try-on and it felt tight, but when I ordered 9.5EE in SD it ended up being huge... Though to be fair, it seems that White's sizing can be a bit upredictable.)

^Yeah, SD is 1/2 size down from SJ.

I made a similar mistake__ had the standard SJ @8.5E 1st, w/c fit me very well.  So, when I MTOed for my Horsehide SD, I ordered exact same size ... what made it even worse was that I opted for a "swing" last, w/c made them even more loose:mellow:

Edited by BrownMetallic

I just posted a long-winded write up of our visit to the Wesco factory during the production of our next round of Van Cleef engineer boots over in the S&S thread.

Fresh out of the box:

Van Cleef Engineer Boot-01-2.jpg

10 months of wear by Neil, including 2 trips to Japan:

Van Cleef - 10 months of wear-03 (Medium).jpg

Edited by mrsmiff

Anyone know where I can get these black nylon laces by Whites?  If the Whites can't be found, any other suggestions? I just got the shipping email from Bakers that my SJ are coming in next week and I would like black nylon laces in them similar to this

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/zodiac/sjnylonbootlacebk/

QjZJijK.jpg

needs to fit a 6' boot.

Can't get over how Viberg, when they have to, put out the sexiest curve [on heels] ever, IM:) 

Had my share of "standard" heels from White's, w/c for me, is a bit of an extreme taper ... while the woodsman, is just too stilt-y. FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.855b690b427b54034d9e723c8a645ae4.jpg

2C97935D-FAEA-43B5-9B82-99AD1AFCE5F1.jpg

7429DE0B-D4C0-4788-987F-711C32F9E91D.jpg

D5685471-13B7-40DD-867E-3AD2A84975AB.jpg

Is there a reason why Wesco collabs with companies overseas but Whites does not or barely does anything outside of a custom order through a JP website?  I get the notion that Wesco is more open to working with companies here and there whether it's a silver buckle on their Boss boot from Lynch Silversmith or a alternate color scheme by Neighborhood.

Would Viberg resole/heel a pair of White's? :D

I'll be due for a heel and sole within the year probably. Have always liked how Vibergs don't have that 'shelf' at the back, when new, and the more slight taper.

Edited by Rob060

11 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

@BrownMetallic have to agree on the Viberg's heel shape, it's just the perfect heel taper. And you seem to have only good Vibergs too, none of that pointy toe shite!

Thank you for your input and regards from an owner of that pointy toe shite

Speaking of shoes that are going to look better with age... we just got two new boots in from John Lofgren.

His running classic, the Donkey Puncher (no, it's named for the loggers who operated steam donkeys in the late 19th century) in burgundy CXL is online and ready to ship.

Donkey Puncher Boots - Burgundy CXL-03.jpg

We also picked up the M-43 service shoe, aka the boondocker in natural roughout CXL. This is my absolute favorite of the many boondocker boots out there, in terms of quality, finish, and overall look.We don't have these online quite yet - but shoot us an email if you're interested.

M-43 Service Shoes-05.jpg

Edited by mrsmiff

41 minutes ago, garden gnomes in space said:

Those look great.  I saw them and handled them yesterday.  They pass the sniff test too.  CXL leather should be made into a cologne.  

Did you get them on your feet? It's the fit that really does it on these.