Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

8 hours ago, mlwdp said:

FBD699FC-C41C-4E98-AAC2-E242A19695FC_zps

JUST HOW EXACTLY DID THIS GUY BREAK THESE DOUBLE MIDSOLE SMOKEJUMPERS IN?!?!?

i'd say he didn't -- the boots were resoled to look like truck tires (the soles are brand-new and unworn, whereas the leather is broken in). keep on truckin'.
but he should've been a man and not cut corners. with soles like these, you wear such boots without socks until either your feet or your boots tap out.

Question for Nomad and other Whites models owners:

Why is it more common to do a half sole composite Vibram 700 in the double midsole style for the Nomad versus a full Vibram 700 in the double midsole for the same boot?  Is it due to flexibility of the sole?  Just curious.

perhaps too clunky/not flexible enough with double midsole plus full outsole?

I have welt sole + 1 midsole + full outsole on the White's and I think this looks really good.

the semidress have 1 midsole + half soles and will be converted to full outsole when they'll need a resole.

What my Smokejumpers will look like, except with a Vibram half sole and black eyelets and hooks.  Double midsole and white lining.

Basically, a beastly looking boot!

C6E6EF91-95D1-420B-B842-DA901E3F2D2D_zps

Edited by mlwdp

On 9 May 2017 at 11:17 AM, PeterParker said:

Are these a custom one-off or a Foot Patrol make-up? Either way, I'd like to know the details on the leather. Looks like horsehide.

17 hours ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

foot patrol with brown domain I think

These are them. Not sure about the origon of the leather.

.... Still, 'managed to come away w/ a pair of Engineer #8 CXL on 2005 and an old standard 2-tone Lace-to-Toe on 110 [w/c was prolly my best find ever, @200] ... having been to the Viberg NYCsamplesale 3yrs in a row.
IMG_1840.thumb.JPG.757b82afb2a4d6cbdd54cbf2bb6454ea.JPGIMG_1830.thumb.JPG.92318c7dd69a66cedf0a4cbb069a1fac.JPG
IMG_1850.thumb.JPG.15a5e8c3de29dbb7de4e806268be23e2.JPGIMG_1849.thumb.JPG.95da478acc0f932baab3117b62252ea4.JPG

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1834.JPG

Edited by BrownMetallic

On 9 May 2017 at 11:17 AM, PeterParker said:

Are these a custom one-off or a Foot Patrol make-up? Either way, I'd like to know the details on the leather. Looks like horsehide.

To quote Giles....

I spoke to Chris@Wesco.   It is a waxed leather which has a pull up effect when worked (by that he means it lightens when stress  and pressure is applied) .  The finish is waxed which allows it to be treated with polish.  Wesco are over the moon with the leather.  To quote Chris "hands down some of the best leather I have seen in a while"

This page also contains info direct from wesco regarding many types they use....

https://www.boot.com/bwfeatr2.htm

Edited by Lukenstein

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Rolling Dub Trios back from a resole by Brian the Bootmaker. I admit that the original neocork sole with the leather toe tap was very cool, but it just never quite worked for me -- the triple midsole with the added heel was too high, and the whole thing was a bit slippery. So, decided to get a Vibram wedge sole put on.  (Or as my daughter says, a "squishy" sole.)  Pretty pleased with how it turned out, and it's VERY comfy:

P5202939.JPG

P5202938.JPG

P5202935.JPG

On 5/23/2017 at 3:56 AM, oomslokop said:

rdt looks superb! did the resole make the whole shoes a whole lotta lighter @tod?

Yes, definitely lighter.  Feels a bit weird, cause I am used to heavier boots, but it's nice for a change.  I see now what people mean by "sneaker boots."

Alright guys, so I think I decided I want to resole my Viberg 1035 derbies with a Vibram 2060 sole. Or something similar.
Should I try and source the job locally or should I reach out to a guy like Brian at Role Club to tackle the job?
Haven't had any boots/shoes resoled myself, and these haven't had a ton of use. I just feel like the stacked leather soles are too dressy and have zero grip. I wore them today and was sliding around on pavement and grass left and right. Plus I've always just wanted a pair of derbies with a wedge sole like that.
Any suggestions?

I've had good success in my locale finding a cobbler recognized for  working on quality goodyear welted footwear, for one piece resoles.  Work has been tidy, and held up well enough to warrant a return trip once the sole had worn down.  Most cobblers working on footwear that is expensive enough to deserve being repaired these days need to be pretty competent, otherwise I don't think their business would stay open very long.

Also in a personal opinion, the Vibram 2060 is one of the worst soles ever put on a boot. It may be long wearing and have that 'squishy' feel, but the grip is between awful and horrendous. I find more grip on my leather sole/stacked heel shoes than with the 2060. Not as long wearing, but the Christy (4014) sole, has proven to have better performance in varied conditions, with a pretty high level of comfort. It is heavier, though.

Edited by rungo

Much appreciated on the feedback, as far as looks go the 2060 is what I'm after but I'm definitely open to other options. I just wanted something with that wedge style look that would give me a bit more comfort and a more casual looking shoe overall.
Basically I like a lot of the derby models that Viberg offers (or offered in the past) for the Japanese market: wedge sole, basically looking like a low cut boot. I figured the 2060 was the best option to keep the profile somewhat low. I might even see if they could add some eyelets to the shoe, since currently they are blind eyelet construction.
I figure living in Austin I could probably find a reputable boot shop that works on GYW boots that would be willing to do the resole.

I got a Vibram 2060 sole on my oxfords and boots.  They wear out quickly.  I think a few others here said the same thing about their durability if I'm not mistaken. 

Don't know the construction of your derbies but if it's stitchdown and you want it to stay that way, I guess that Viberg or Brian are your best options. Gyw is no challenge to competent cobblers but stitchdown is another matter.