Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

3 hours ago, harls said:

I was unboxing my Indy's earlier and it occurred to me how mediocre the stock laces are. I proceeded to put the first boot on and lo and behold, the lace snapped. Any recommendations on replacements? I'll probably buy the Alden waxed laces from Frans Boone but I'm open to suggestions. I have two pairs so I'll buy replacements for both.

I've recommended shoeslacesexpress.com several times. Their waxed boot laces (round, 5/32" dia) are excellent, and I use them in several pairs of boots & shoes. They also have a flat waxed, but stocked only in short lengths. You can order custom lengths. Redwing sells their flat waxed laces on-line, but they may be a bit wider the Alden's. 

On 30. maaliskuuta 2017 at 9:06 PM, JDelage said:

The Avoriaz are too typed "mountain hiking boots" for my taste. I actually am asking this question to replace some Paraboot Chenonceau in nubuck which are one size too small. ^_^

Yup, I know, those are of acquired taste. Qualitywise I haven't seen a better hiking boot, re: Danner and Fracap. Haven't handled OSB or Viberg hikers.

Are you looking for a specific type of boot, service boots, engineers, loggers?

On 2/26/2017 at 4:04 PM, mpukas said:

For reference (for guys that haven't seen these before), here are my SJ's I had rebuilt in early 05/2014. Originally purchased in early 2003. I wore them for many years as "causal" boots, before they got to be too unbearable for every day wear. The original build was full-on black Smoke Jumper spec. The rebuild was 1/4" lowered curved heel, half sole, Quabag heel cap, brown Domain leather, toe cap w/ broguing. 

When I first got them back, one of the boot's heels was not compressed evenly, and it was angled very noticeably from outside to inside. Sent them back and they re-did the one boot's heel. Who ever ground the sole edge did a terrible job, and nearly ground off the entire second row of stitching. The top edge of the leather sole was also very rough and uneven. Since Domain leather is very thick and tough, the stitch-down construction produces a very bulbous edge. I wore them walking the dog in the snow a lot, and that abraded off the edge finish. I then hit the with Obenauf's leather oil, which darkened the brown leather significantly. 

If I ever get these rebuilt again, I'd have them made 1/2 size longer (currently an 8), at least one size wider wider (currently EE - I'd prefer 3E or 4E), and made with a square lowered heel, close trim (if White's will do it; I've heard they won't do square heel with close trim, but if you order through Baker's they will do it for you afterwards), low or even flat arch, no toe cap, change to all eyelets with no hooks - antique brass no bright brass, and built as a semi-dress boot with either CXL or White's dress leather. AND I'd make sure the outsole stitching and edge grinding is done extra carefully. White's has the ability to do incredible work, my pair wasn't up to par, IMO. Maybe on their semi-dress and finer leather boots they take more care in the work. 

Whites_Smoke-Jumper_rebuild_05-05-14_1.jpg

Whites_Smoke-Jumper_rebuild_05-05-14_12.jpg

Whites_Smoke-Jumper_rebuild_05-05-14_13.jpg

20141205_133647.jpg

20141205_133520.jpg

Celestic toe in yours? Is it worth getting in a smokejumper?

Yes, celastic toe. It's really personal preference, and whether or not you really need it for protection at work. I like it so the toe keeps it's shape. I'm not really a fan of unstructured toe, especially on a boot this rugged. 

right, so now i've found further info on my russet colored boots. they're dutch m-1957 jumper boots, modelled after the u.s. boots, of 1963 vintage.

after i returned from my trip, i've repaired stitching that was loose, and lubed them up with a generous amount of (elbow) grease, and let it soak in overnight. today, i brushed them thoroughly and wiped them with a damp cloth -- very serviceable now. the only thing left is a planned rebuild of the soles and heels, and then another restoration/polishing project is done.

what's interesting is that the leather of the right boot's shaft is considerably softer and feels thinner than the left boot's, which is sturdier. anyway, pics below.

IMG_20170404_005659.jpg

IMG_20170404_005806.jpg

IMG_20170404_010244.jpg

IMG_20170404_014026.jpg

IMG_20170404_212115.jpg

IMG_20170404_212236.jpg

Edited by cameosis

received my flat waxed shoe laces yesterday -- the longer i look at them, the more i like the combination of purple and roughout leather. :D

IMG_20170409_194418.jpg

IMG_20170409_194434.jpg

IMG_20170409_194516.jpg

Been very sick the last couple days, so I guess I'll be contributing to SuFu instead of just my usual lurking. Ha. 

Every year (I think) Red Wing offers factory seconds to it's employees on a first-come, first-serve payroll deduction basis. Each pair is $75 (yes, all of them) plus $5 shipping. The neat thing is that you can get stuff that might actually not be available in your market, Euro, Japanese, etc. These are the two I grabbed: The 8271 steel toe engineer in oro-russet and the 8050 "oxford" (really more of a derby) in chocolate chrome. 

Also added a couple pics of my whole RW stable. 

tMpaBr7.jpgO70Gr9l.jpgiOG516S.jpg6AMkzUm.jpg

IRSnex7.jpgXBhHcHf.jpg8xXA4Nx.jpgMX8kcv2.jpg

That 8050 oxford/derby is a really good looking shoe. Nice score. I assume that's from the Euro/JP market, not available in USA? 

56 minutes ago, mpukas said:

That 8050 oxford/derby is a really good looking shoe. Nice score. I assume that's from the Euro/JP market, not available in USA? 

Thank you- and yes. I found it on Rakuten but it was very limited in size and 300+ US. I actually found one on Nordstrom Rack's website called the 8053 that looks very similar if you're trying to hunt it down =)

working for rw does have its perks. :D
very nice and versatile setup, it appears that my personal favorites, the moc-toe 8146 have got the most wear -- i remember when i first saw red wings @ their local store here in frankfurt, which was the only authorized rw shop selling them in all of continental europe in the 1980s. way beyond a teenager's budget back then, but i always wanted to grab at least a pair.
praise the lord for the web and online shopping, i snatched the j. crew version in 2009 for € 80 including shipping from the states, and they still hold up wonderfully. awesome color on the 8271!

@cameosis Amen to that! 

You know what's funny? The 8146 is actually the 8138! Yes! When I first got them, it had the traction tread sole- whe  it was time to replace them, and kind of as a store experiment, I had them put on the Beckman or roccia sole. I affectionately refer to them as my "Poor Man's Roughnecks":D

@marcusV2 hehe, excellent! have to say i never fancied the tread sole much, but there are some great boots that have it as the basic outfit, so i too have a few remix ideas in my head. it's wonderful how much a sole changes the look of a shoe -- just like a haircut :D

A few photos of my Viberg natural waxed flesh service boots. These are the ones Viberg did for Superdenim/Real McCoys London on the 1035 last with the commando sole.

Picked them up around the beginning of December and managed to wear them to Berlin, London, Manchester, and the back to Austin. I've tried not to baby them and really like how they've worn in so far. I've thought about picking up some flat waxed laces, I'm just concerned about how they would fit with these eyelets being a bit on the smaller side. 

LPhCQGr.jpgT9u3uCx.jpg64AYhzt.jpgOjZ1fXm.jpg

by the way, here is a beautiful example of how NOT to treat your shoes -- i'm surprised the shoes held up for eight years without any care ... leather is cracked on the outsides, that dude probably never thought of cleaning and conditioning his boots.

https://www.heddels.com/2015/12/fade-day-red-wing-shoes-4183-8-years/

14 hours ago, cameosis said:

by the way, here is a beautiful example of how NOT to treat your shoes -- i'm surprised the shoes held up for eight years without any care ... leather is cracked on the outsides, that dude probably never thought of cleaning and conditioning his boots.

https://www.heddels.com/2015/12/fade-day-red-wing-shoes-4183-8-years/

LOL, don't remind me of those. This is what happens when we don't get good submissions. :ph34r:

11 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

LOL, don't remind me of those. This is what happens when we don't get good submissions. :ph34r:

what baffles me the most is that these folks think it's cool to "treat" your footwear (or other clothes, for that matter) like that and that it even looks "good" (not knocking different tastes, just for the record).
the fact of the matter is that you can enjoy good boots for decades with minimum care and the occasional resoling, why hasn't anyone filled them in on that, or why don't they realize that you need not waste everything?

i don't know, reviving and then wearing old boots -- as posted before -- personally is much more fulfilling than destroying new ones ... oh well, rant over :P

8 hours ago, cameosis said:

what baffles me the most is that these folks think it's cool to "treat" your footwear (or other clothes, for that matter) like that and that it even looks "good"

I blame Reddit. :D

Edited by Iron Horse