Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 3/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, mlwdp said:

Found a Whites authorized dealer here in Pittsboro that both stocks and does sizing measurements.  Made the trek out there today and got some pics.  Boot heaven, pretty much has everything from Danner to Filson.

What's next door to the store is a barbeque restaurant 

6B2FD714-1329-4214-B05C-5F9EBE6DA0A4_zps

Anyway, I tried on the Smokejumpers here  and they actually fitted ok.  I've worn some torture chambers on feet like my Olympic weightlifting shoes with a wood block and no flex so these sj's felt right at home lol.

Anyway, I got my measurements there and ready to send them off to Baker!

The only thing better than a day spent trying on White's Boots, is a day spent trying on White's Boots followed by a plate of Allen and Son chopped pork...  A dream day...

Hi folks,

soon I will get a pair of worn in Alden Indy Boots made from Horween Chromexcel,

and since all recommended care products for this "pull up" contain animal ingredients, I would love

to know if anyone here has an advice for a good vegetarian care product?

Many thanks in advance

"vegetarian" care products for leather goods...

not a critique, just thought it to be funny - I know of the debate regarding mineral oils vs. organics oild and their debated effect on leather.

2 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Hi folks,

soon I will get a pair of worn in Alden Indy Boots made from Horween Chromexcel,

and since all recommended care products for this "pull up" contain animal ingredients, I would love

Many thanks in advance

Hey, almost all plant oils can work, doesn't matter which but make sure they're not oils that will become rancid easily.

For coating, try waxes like carnauba wax, or a synthetic like paraffin.

Any suggestions for a pull on boot or chelsea that can be worn with a slim tapered jeans? Preferably with low toe profile but still with a rugged look. I love the viberg chelsea model and the luchesse jonas roper boots but both are quite expensive (+700$)

Trickers Chelsea boots look amazing. One of my colleagues has them, they look very good with tapered jeans.

Blundstone look good with tapered jeans too, although they're not even nearly in the same league as Tricker's.

2 hours ago, SLAB said:

Any suggestions for a pull on boot or chelsea that can be worn with a slim tapered jeans? Preferably with low toe profile but still with a rugged look. I love the viberg chelsea model and the luchesse jonas roper boots but both are quite expensive (+700$)

RM Williams! 

On 2017-03-17 at 5:06 AM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Hi folks,

Many thanks in advance

why not try olive oil? 

On 3/18/2017 at 0:39 AM, mikecch said:

Good write-up about White's and awesome pairs of boots in a less common leather. I agree that when configured as a serious workboot (e.g. Smoke Jumpers, Packers, etc.) they can be cumbersome for streetwear; however, the plethora of options White's offers makes it easy to design something more streetwear friendly, certainly on par with other bootmakers dominating the scene.

I've had my Bounty Hunters for 6 years and they have faithfully served as work boots, hiking boots, and casual boots for streetwear. While not the optimal footwear for any of those applications, these boots have been very capable and reliable. I've worked long shifts, hiked mountain ranges, and stumbled home after a long night out in these boots, and I don't think any other pair of my shoes would have survived, let alone perform so well in all of those situations. They could use a rebuild but I'm ambivalent about shipping them back to White's; I know when I finally getting around to it, it will be worthwhile since these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:39 AM, mikecch said:

How's the durability of bullhide? Scuffs easy? Is it a tough leather?  I'm getting my Whites built in black bullhide as well.

Edited by mlwdp

french roughout rangers, 1963, unissued/new old stock (oran, algeria) -- 25 euros
they're naturally a bit stiff, but fit really well. a real bargain and i look forward to breaking them in. will get another pair in black pebble grain.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

dutch m-1957 jumper cap-toe boots, 1963, used -- 60 euros
surprisingly comfortable, overall great stuff. will soak them in distilled water for two days to get all the dirt and gunk out, after that it's time to work that old black magic again (same as with the restored french service boots a few years back).

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Edited by cameosis

18 hours ago, mikecch said:

Haven't worn my shell Stows for a few years. Cleaned and polished them yesterday!

Colour has lightened with age...

aroR5dO.jpg

Those are super nice!

Been thinking of getting trickers boots in that colour. I think they are releasing a winter stow boot with shearling lining in that colour. Will look to get that

3 hours ago, Niro said:

Those are super nice!

Been thinking of getting trickers boots in that colour. I think they are releasing a winter stow boot with shearling lining in that colour. Will look to get that

Cheers! 

I don't remember exactly what this colour was called... It's closest to Mogano from Argentina, but the Tricker's person I spoke with said it was Horween. If so, that would explain the lightening of the colour from Brown to Red with age. 

toe tap about to go on rdt coupen (the other one gone already) after two years of intermittent wear

33410698692_13d4861e5b_c.jpg

how they look now, shoes that look no different with age

33567741915_26f5598a6d_c.jpg

Edited by oomslokop
add photo

pics of the heel counter please!

jokes apart, nice score. The slender shape looks great and I think it'll work well with many different solutions in a girl's closet, good choice!

2 hours ago, mandel9000 said:

IMG_5588.thumb.JPG.517910720115f930d392f41ac9bb1b76.JPG

Not that much age to speak of yet but I took delivery of these Wescos at my hotel when I was in the US last week - thanks, Standard & Strange!

The fit is very good, surprisingly comfortable, but I still didn't dare to wear them during the 20,000 steps-a-day madness that is SXSW. So the five minute walk to the grocery store just now was my first time wearing the boots outside.

Looking forward to digging jeans with compatible hem widths out of the closet and putting these to good use, more and better pics to come. 

At first I was going to post that you should've worn them to sxsw, but then I remembered how hot it gets down here and it probably would have changed your mind if you're not used to it.  I've been here for awhile and still not used to it and I'm already going to break in some new Whites boots in 100+ degree weather WITH denim on.  So there's nothing wrong with you not wearing them down here if Austin was hot.  Some might've looked at you funny or asked if you're ok while in the boots.

It was indeed sunny and hot, but in this case I was more concerned about all the walking and standing on concrete, which can get painful even in new cushioned sneakers.

After wearing the Wescos for half a day now and marvelling about the comfort, I think I would've been ok, but just didn't want to risk blisters or sore feet. 

first step: submerge the boots in distilled water -- this will turn black in 16 to 18 hours time :D

IMG_20170321_214456.jpg

IMG_20170321_214535.jpg

27 minutes ago, mandel9000 said:

It was indeed sunny and hot, but in this case I was more concerned about all the walking and standing on concrete, which can get painful even in new cushioned sneakers.

After wearing the Wescos for half a day now and marvelling about the comfort, I think I would've been ok, but just didn't want to risk blisters or sore feet. 

At least it's not June there...yet.  If you ever want to know what Hell feels like, you'll get an answer during that season of the year if you haven't already experienced it.

Edited by mlwdp