Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 3/18/2017 at 0:39 AM, mikecch said:

Good write-up about White's and awesome pairs of boots in a less common leather. I agree that when configured as a serious workboot (e.g. Smoke Jumpers, Packers, etc.) they can be cumbersome for streetwear; however, the plethora of options White's offers makes it easy to design something more streetwear friendly, certainly on par with other bootmakers dominating the scene.

I've had my Bounty Hunters for 6 years and they have faithfully served as work boots, hiking boots, and casual boots for streetwear. While not the optimal footwear for any of those applications, these boots have been very capable and reliable. I've worked long shifts, hiked mountain ranges, and stumbled home after a long night out in these boots, and I don't think any other pair of my shoes would have survived, let alone perform so well in all of those situations. They could use a rebuild but I'm ambivalent about shipping them back to White's; I know when I finally getting around to it, it will be worthwhile since these are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn.

On 3/18/2017 at 3:39 AM, mikecch said:

How's the durability of bullhide? Scuffs easy? Is it a tough leather?  I'm getting my Whites built in black bullhide as well.

Edited by mlwdp

french roughout rangers, 1963, unissued/new old stock (oran, algeria) -- 25 euros
they're naturally a bit stiff, but fit really well. a real bargain and i look forward to breaking them in. will get another pair in black pebble grain.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

dutch m-1957 jumper cap-toe boots, 1963, used -- 60 euros
surprisingly comfortable, overall great stuff. will soak them in distilled water for two days to get all the dirt and gunk out, after that it's time to work that old black magic again (same as with the restored french service boots a few years back).

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Edited by cameosis

18 hours ago, mikecch said:

Haven't worn my shell Stows for a few years. Cleaned and polished them yesterday!

Colour has lightened with age...

aroR5dO.jpg

Those are super nice!

Been thinking of getting trickers boots in that colour. I think they are releasing a winter stow boot with shearling lining in that colour. Will look to get that

3 hours ago, Niro said:

Those are super nice!

Been thinking of getting trickers boots in that colour. I think they are releasing a winter stow boot with shearling lining in that colour. Will look to get that

Cheers! 

I don't remember exactly what this colour was called... It's closest to Mogano from Argentina, but the Tricker's person I spoke with said it was Horween. If so, that would explain the lightening of the colour from Brown to Red with age. 

toe tap about to go on rdt coupen (the other one gone already) after two years of intermittent wear

33410698692_13d4861e5b_c.jpg

how they look now, shoes that look no different with age

33567741915_26f5598a6d_c.jpg

Edited by oomslokop
add photo

pics of the heel counter please!

jokes apart, nice score. The slender shape looks great and I think it'll work well with many different solutions in a girl's closet, good choice!

2 hours ago, mandel9000 said:

IMG_5588.thumb.JPG.517910720115f930d392f41ac9bb1b76.JPG

Not that much age to speak of yet but I took delivery of these Wescos at my hotel when I was in the US last week - thanks, Standard & Strange!

The fit is very good, surprisingly comfortable, but I still didn't dare to wear them during the 20,000 steps-a-day madness that is SXSW. So the five minute walk to the grocery store just now was my first time wearing the boots outside.

Looking forward to digging jeans with compatible hem widths out of the closet and putting these to good use, more and better pics to come. 

At first I was going to post that you should've worn them to sxsw, but then I remembered how hot it gets down here and it probably would have changed your mind if you're not used to it.  I've been here for awhile and still not used to it and I'm already going to break in some new Whites boots in 100+ degree weather WITH denim on.  So there's nothing wrong with you not wearing them down here if Austin was hot.  Some might've looked at you funny or asked if you're ok while in the boots.

It was indeed sunny and hot, but in this case I was more concerned about all the walking and standing on concrete, which can get painful even in new cushioned sneakers.

After wearing the Wescos for half a day now and marvelling about the comfort, I think I would've been ok, but just didn't want to risk blisters or sore feet. 

first step: submerge the boots in distilled water -- this will turn black in 16 to 18 hours time :D

IMG_20170321_214456.jpg

IMG_20170321_214535.jpg

27 minutes ago, mandel9000 said:

It was indeed sunny and hot, but in this case I was more concerned about all the walking and standing on concrete, which can get painful even in new cushioned sneakers.

After wearing the Wescos for half a day now and marvelling about the comfort, I think I would've been ok, but just didn't want to risk blisters or sore feet. 

At least it's not June there...yet.  If you ever want to know what Hell feels like, you'll get an answer during that season of the year if you haven't already experienced it.

Edited by mlwdp

9 hours ago, mlwdp said:

071003-01.jpg

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/atlantis/item/071003/

$7,000. This is a monstrosity.  Horrendous.

it's targeted at japanese, what do you expect? just look at the hairstyles they sport on the way to work/school/university/the toilet ...
for every good design from/for japan, there are three to four corresponding abominations.

20 hours ago, mandel9000 said:

IMG_5588.thumb.JPG.517910720115f930d392f41ac9bb1b76.JPG

Not that much age to speak of yet but I took delivery of these Wescos at my hotel when I was in the US last week - thanks, Standard & Strange!

The fit is very good, surprisingly comfortable, but I still didn't dare to wear them during the 20,000 steps-a-day madness that is SXSW. So the five minute walk to the grocery store just now was my first time wearing the boots outside.

Looking forward to digging jeans with compatible hem widths out of the closet and putting these to good use, more and better pics to come. 

Youe doing good baby!

RRL Julian Imrie Engineer Boots 

R6AUnvm.jpg

SvA29AH.jpg

ZnVulAq.jpg

tznd0kE.jpg

oipJ7lh.jpg

59Hh1Yg.jpg

dFwWVjy.jpg

Overview

These are a pair of boots that I’ve been lusting over and dreaming about for a few years now but the price of them new on ebay has always seen to keep me at bay. I had been debating jumping on a preorder for a pair of Attractions engineer boots but sizing concerns always kept me from doing so (the largest size they have been making recently is 11, which in theory should work for me as they appear to fit a whole size larger than other boots). I even grabbed a pair of black RRL enigneer boots that were the model made after the Julians in size 11, which never ended up fitting right (album here -> http://imgur.com/a/qESXp).

Once these popped up on ebay i knew i had to have these as they were new, old stock, with maybe a few flaws i could see but other than some small issue were near perfect 

Specs 

• Maker: Julian Imrie for RRL
  • Model: Brown Engineer Boot
  • Last: unknown (help?)
  • Size: 13
  • Leather: Brown, Thick, Awesome. Can’t find any details easily online
  • Sole: Vibram half sole
  • Heel: Vibram
  • Configuration: Pull-on engineer boot

Sizing 

I’m normally a 12 in Vibergs, Redwings, Alden Barrie but can fit an 11.5 viberg 2030, these RRL Julian Boots are a size 13. From my research it seemed as though these have always been a very difficult boot to size as the shape of the shaft is fairly tapered which leads to a boot that is very difficult to get on and off initially. That statement rings true, the left boot did not initially cooperate very well with my left foot. After the first two days of wear it took me about 5 minutes of maximum strength effort to get the boot off and a shower after was necessary…

After 4 days of wear they are sliding on and off a bit easier and the overall comfort of these boots on my feet is at about an 8/10. I can only see this improving but what i will need to eventually do it have some additional holes added to the ankle straps as i can tell already that they will need to be tightened up some 

Leather & Clicking 

Time will tell how my clicking and leather selection turns out, so far it seems pretty great and after an initial saphir reno treatment these really came to life compared to the sellers original photos -> http://imgur.com/a/oyXDz

Finishing 

Both toes of the boots have some puckering, which might have made these seconds but whatever. Everything else about these boots is flawless. If something does happen to these due to the puckering I’ll probably cry myself to sleep for about a week but i will cross that bridge if that does happen. 

The soles and edges are clean, the stitching everywhere else is excellent and for the age of these boots a quick brushing and once over with some saphir was all they needed to look factory fresh again 

If anyone has any recommendations for a remedy for the puckering ie relasting by brian or something along those lines i would like to hear it! 

Final Thoughts 

I am over the moon with these boots, it took almost three weeks to get them from the USA due to ebay’s slow as hell global shipping program but once they landed with me here in Sydney the waiting and concern over sizing vanished immediately

I’m glad my persistence and waiting for a pair in my size on ebay to come up for a good price paid off as these ended up costing me $215 AUD plus $100 AUD shipping ($165 USD and $80 USD) which negates any concerns i really have over the puckering anyways

They look great with my jeans and have already become the new love in my life. These have reminded rekindled my passion for clothes and boots, i was in a bit of a drought and hadn’t been posting or buying anything for about a year.

COP OF THE DECADE FOR ME

@mlwdp - need pics to see what type of boots, what part of boots, and what dirt looks like. Otherwise, try saddle soap and brush that's not too stiff, and lots of water. 

This pair of horsehide shoes arrived a week or so ago, after a 7 month wait, from Nick's.

I took some non-pants-pulling photos just for you guys:

p3yHpwk.jpg

O6iVY3n.jpg

Switched laces a couple of times...didn't like the stock black nylon laces.

Settling for flat waxed dark brown for now (top photo).

9FJGSxt.jpg

I trimmed the edge of the 'welt' a little and reburnished it, but other than that the shoes are great!

Review in the works.

my trusty RW moc toe 1907 (in need of a re-sole) 2 years of actual wear time. (and those photo bombing flipflops)

DSC_2681.jpg

DSC_2684.jpg