Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

My Trickers are about 4 posts above the AS. Quality-wise, they seem very similar, however, as far as fit is concerned, my AS (Dumfries) have been much more comfortable and easier to break in than the Trickers (Bourton), both are a UK8.

what an idiot I am, that's why I knew you had trickers as well. They look like they're in the same quality range, but I have to admit I generally like more the shape of Trickers, they look more wide and massive, which I like.

14 hours ago, Niro said:

My trickers acorn stow. Going to put them away until autumn/winter. Do these darken a bit with wear? They are a bit bright for me to be honest.

IMG_20170313_191050.jpg

You can polish them with a darker shade of cream or even a different color. I would first try with a darker brown, and if unsatisfied try burgundy and then navy.

^Agreed in principle but I'd start off with a light tan and if that makes no noticeable difference after a few applications and wears, move on to mid tan and then possibly dark tan, depending on your preference.

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

^Agreed in principle but I'd start off with a light tan and if that makes no noticeable difference after a few applications and wears, move on to mid tan and then possibly dark tan, depending on your preference.

I completely agree with Maynard's recommendation. Start off light, and progress slightly darker. Depending on how the leather is currently treated will determine how much new color is absorbed. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING RED!!! Unless, of course, that's what you want. Once you get some sort of red pigment into the leather, they'll forever be red. Keep in mind, once you darken them, you can't go back. 

IMO, it appears you haven't worn them too much. I'd give them a few months of wear and see how you like them then. Lovely boots. mpp

I would add, maybe try some melted wax for a more natural solution to darkening. Tricker's lighter calf leathers will darken with time and many are 'tea core', so just wear them and enjoy the patina! 

Thanks guys. I've only worn them for couple of weeks, so will give them more wear to see how they get on. Otherwise will go with coloured polish.

I just feel a bit self-conscious in them as they are so yellowy, but they feel so nice on my feet. Now I get why some people go Trickers stow crazy

I find oil based polishes like Saphir and wax-heavy neutral coaters to work quite well on my bullhide boots. Common 'dry' polishes tend not to work so good, as the texture of the bullhide makes proper polish difficult. 

26 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Astorflex whisky suede desert boot

@Maynard Friedman - I've been eyeing Astroflex, but I don't know much about them. What can you tell us about them? How is the fit of the forefoot - standard/narrow, or wide? Cheers! mpp

Volvo is your man, he put me onto them a couple of years ago (when I bought these). They come up big, I had to size down a whole UK size. I have wide feet and they fit comfortably so I would say they are a wide fitting, standard/wide at the least.

49 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Volvo is your man, he put me onto them a couple of years ago (when I bought these). They come up big, I had to size down a whole UK size. I have wide feet and they fit comfortably so I would say they are a wide fitting, standard/wide at the least.

Actually Volvo's wife is your man for these! I had worn desert boots only for all my teenage years and I had enough of it to be honest. My wife wears still now desert boots only except on summers. Once she discovered Astor flex she never bought Clark's again. They are a far superior product as far as leather and workmanship are concerned, they're ethically made in Italy and they last much longer than Clark's. She wears the same size as in Clark's but indeed they're a touch wider. The cognac leather ones are particularly nice and the leather ages well.

On 3/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, mlwdp said:

Found a Whites authorized dealer here in Pittsboro that both stocks and does sizing measurements.  Made the trek out there today and got some pics.  Boot heaven, pretty much has everything from Danner to Filson.

What's next door to the store is a barbeque restaurant 

6B2FD714-1329-4214-B05C-5F9EBE6DA0A4_zps

Anyway, I tried on the Smokejumpers here  and they actually fitted ok.  I've worn some torture chambers on feet like my Olympic weightlifting shoes with a wood block and no flex so these sj's felt right at home lol.

Anyway, I got my measurements there and ready to send them off to Baker!

The only thing better than a day spent trying on White's Boots, is a day spent trying on White's Boots followed by a plate of Allen and Son chopped pork...  A dream day...

Hi folks,

soon I will get a pair of worn in Alden Indy Boots made from Horween Chromexcel,

and since all recommended care products for this "pull up" contain animal ingredients, I would love

to know if anyone here has an advice for a good vegetarian care product?

Many thanks in advance

"vegetarian" care products for leather goods...

not a critique, just thought it to be funny - I know of the debate regarding mineral oils vs. organics oild and their debated effect on leather.

2 hours ago, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Hi folks,

soon I will get a pair of worn in Alden Indy Boots made from Horween Chromexcel,

and since all recommended care products for this "pull up" contain animal ingredients, I would love

Many thanks in advance

Hey, almost all plant oils can work, doesn't matter which but make sure they're not oils that will become rancid easily.

For coating, try waxes like carnauba wax, or a synthetic like paraffin.

Any suggestions for a pull on boot or chelsea that can be worn with a slim tapered jeans? Preferably with low toe profile but still with a rugged look. I love the viberg chelsea model and the luchesse jonas roper boots but both are quite expensive (+700$)

Trickers Chelsea boots look amazing. One of my colleagues has them, they look very good with tapered jeans.

Blundstone look good with tapered jeans too, although they're not even nearly in the same league as Tricker's.

2 hours ago, SLAB said:

Any suggestions for a pull on boot or chelsea that can be worn with a slim tapered jeans? Preferably with low toe profile but still with a rugged look. I love the viberg chelsea model and the luchesse jonas roper boots but both are quite expensive (+700$)

RM Williams! 

On 2017-03-17 at 5:06 AM, Sympathy-For-The-Denim said:

Hi folks,

Many thanks in advance

why not try olive oil?