Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

On 1/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, kbuzz said:

Well I went with uk8. The fit perfect first day around the house.  Felt a bit snug the second.  Fingers cross they stretch a tad

Well I wore the trickers stow 8s around the house for a few hours and then ordered an 8.5 to compare.   The 8.5 is mo' better.   So I'm going to put them up for sale.  If anyone wants a U.K. 8 pair at a discount for my mistake let me know 

trickers Stow acorn

special make up for Division road Seattle which means:

commando sole

natural welt stitching 

two tone laces. 

New $525 plus shipping=$540

I'm thinking 475 shipped in the USA 

Thanks tough to take a

hit on these but you live n learn 

IMG_2981.JPG

Edited by kbuzz

On 1/26/2017 at 6:49 PM, BrownMetallic said:

VIBERG Black Pit Tanned Bison on 1035 last:

'Decided got too much natural trims in my boot stable, so DIYstained w/indigo colored dye. We'll see how they evo ...

Before:
97A89DA9-7B78-48FC-825F-5AEC169581C5.jpg

@BrownMetallic - That's a beautiful pair of Viberg's. Honestly, tho, I like the color before. Some buffalo leathers I've seen have too much heavy grain, but this leather has just enough to be interesting and unique without being too over-the-top. The more pairs like this I see around here, the more I'm warming up to Viberg. I really like the look of this last and toe shape, as I prefer boots with a wide forefoot and round toe. Where did you get them? Thnx mpp

^They're on the 1035 last__ from 2016NYCsamplesale.

'Got 2 Viberg Bisons w/ distinctly different texture.  I'm guessing, depends on w/c part of the hide & tanning process involved.  

These particular pair, leather is not dyed through ... prolly why they're  dark-brownish w/purplish hue when under direct sunlight.  As per GusFerguson__ tanning process was the same as on their famed ShellCordovan.

Edited by BrownMetallic

On 1/29/2017 at 11:43 AM, BrownMetallic said:

^They're on the 1035 last__ from 2016NYCsamplesale.

'Got 2 Viberg Bisons w/ distinctly different texture.  I'm guessing, depends on w/c part of the hide & tanning process involved.  

These particular pair, leather is not dyed through ... prolly why they're  dark-brownish w/purplish hue when under direct sunlight.  As per GusFerguson__ tanning process was the same as on their famed ShellCordovan.

I spend way too long trying to figure out what the heck "w/c" stands for every time you type it

What are your thoughts on speedhooks vs. all eyelets for the ever common 6-8" boots (e.g. Vibergs, Trumans, Aldens, Whites, etc.)?

It seems the all eyelets configuration is taking over. I get the aesthetic appeal of eyelets, and they're more practical if worn with dress pants (which can snag on speedhooks).

However, for regular wear with jeans, speedhooks make life so much easier. With eyelets, I constantly have to loosen my laces to the point where they unthread from the top eyelets, to get enough slack to put them on/take them off. I'm always the jackass who takes twice as long getting in/out of the door, and then my hipster friends start talking shit to me in their Blundstones.

Speed hooks are convenient, but I recently stopped liking them for several reasons: all eyelets looks cleaner; hooks hang up on inside of hem when taking boots off; hooks break laces quicker if not used properly; hooks can cause picking at hem. I have White SJ's and never understood why they have 3 sets of hooks and eyelet at the top. Hooks have to have constant pressure on the laces, otherwise the laces come out. With eyelets on top, the laces come out of the top hooks when threading the top eyelets. Too fussy for me. 

FWIW, I also don't care for eyelets spaced too closely together. Alden's have too many eyelets, spaced too close together. 

13 hours ago, oomslokop said:

i've always loved @BrownMetallic's idiosyncratic writing. i've always wondered what you do in real life, your language sounds at once as if it's almost computer-generated but also poetic.

Thanx, I think ?!?! :)

'Paltry english language skill was acquired academically from primary through tertiary education [in Manila] ... w/c, basically, meant I'm ESL, hence the [quirky] writing style ;);) 

Edited by BrownMetallic

6 hours ago, mpukas said:

Speed hooks are convenient, but I recently stopped liking them for several reasons: all eyelets looks cleaner; hooks hang up on inside of hem when taking boots off; hooks break laces quicker if not used properly; hooks can cause picking at hem. I have White SJ's and never understood why they have 3 sets of hooks and eyelet at the top. Hooks have to have constant pressure on the laces, otherwise the laces come out. With eyelets on top, the laces come out of the top hooks when threading the top eyelets. Too fussy for me. 

FWIW, I also don't care for eyelets spaced too closely together. Alden's have too many eyelets, spaced too close together. 

I never take my laces out of the eyelets when I take them off. So when I'm going through the top hook, I hold it tight in the hook with one hand and can just tighten the rest with the other hand. No fuss with threading.

how do people size on the 3141 chukka?

i wear a US 12 in most sneakers, a US 11 in clarks and ordered these in a US 11. i was worried they would be too small, but if anything they seem too lose.

i can return them fairly easily, but ordering a 10.5 and trying them on (and sending them back if they were too small) would be an expensive headache due to living in australia (no one stocks the chukka here).

Been a long time since I posted in this thread....

I've not worn boots much for the past 3 years or so, but I was up in the attic the other day and found all my boots (up there since we moved house). Here are my first pair of Alden #8 cordovan plain toes, after a quick trip to the cobbler for a bit of restitching on the uppers, a new section of welt which had given way, and new Dainite soles (I was never crazy about the original commando soles, and they'd worn through to leather):

IMG_0825.JPGIMG_0826.JPGIMG_0827.JPGIMG_0828.JPG

the white is just some excess fat in the leather, I think. It rubs right off. I'd forgotten how lovely the ripply creases are in cordovan. They'll be getting a lot of wear again I think!

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...