Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

2 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

^ I speak for my own experience here. Natural Chromexcel is a beautiful looking leather and it can develop an amazing patina such as on my White's, but is far too oily and supple for hard wear. I get scuffs on that leather way more easily than on my other shoes and that's a fact.

This has been my experience with my natty cxl Lofgrens. I imagine the leather is pretty much the same on your Whites. They are still more than durable enough for any situation that I would put them in.

9 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I did notice my unmarked cxl boots getting scuffed quicker than my other boots.  I'm even thinking about a boot jack for them some since I just use a shoe horn for now.

This is what has happened to mine. After a while, it looks beautiful, but it is definitely an accelerated process.

7 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I did notice my unmarked cxl boots getting scuffed quicker than my other boots.  I'm even thinking about a boot jack for them some since I just use a shoe horn for now.

Boot jacks are amazing; got mine from Brass Clinch for my Engineer Boots from them, and it makes taking them off so easy.

Also, not sure if this is a benefit for you, but my overdye blacks from Brass now have the brown showing through the black on the counter, due to constant boot jack usage. I love the look.

On 1/21/2017 at 6:56 PM, nycsurfer530 said:

ordered a new pair of Alden boots. Plain toe, Barrie last, brown calfskin with crepe sole. My favorite detail might be the brass loops.image.jpeg

That second speedhook is terribly out of alignment. I've experienced problems with eyelets or speedhooks on three different pairs of Aldens, whether a burr that scuffed the tongue of the boot or an eyelet that completely fell out. QC issues like this are just one of the reasons why I no longer buy Alden.

Edited by PeterParker

25 minutes ago, Aries said:

Boot jacks are amazing; got mine from Brass Clinch for my Engineer Boots from them, and it makes taking them off so easy.

Also, not sure if this is a benefit for you, but my overdye blacks from Brass now have the brown showing through the black on the counter, due to constant boot jack usage. I love the look.

I got a Boot Barn near me that sells boot jacks.  Suede is on the inside of the Jack.

http://m.bootbarn.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-bootbarn_us-Site/default/mProduct-Show?pid=2014668

I didn't even know what they were until I came across Brass Tokyo's website through their Instagram.

Edited by mlwdp

2 hours ago, PeterParker said:

QC issues like this are just one of the reasons why I no longer buy Alden.

Sad to hear things have not changed for the better over the past few years.

I have not purchased Alden's since 2011, though I am hoping at some point there may be more merit to consider another purchase :)

13 hours ago, PeterParker said:

That second speedhook is terribly out of alignment. I've experienced problems with eyelets or speedhooks on three different pairs of Aldens, whether a burr that scuffed the tongue of the boot or an eyelet that completely fell out. QC issues like this are just one of the reasons why I no longer buy Alden.

I know this goes against the grain on sufu but something so minute doesn't bother me the slightest. In the end the boots are super comfortable, the barrie last is perfect for me, and they look great. also how often are people three inches from your boots to see the angle of the speed hooks? Small things like that may bother some people but don't count me as one of them. 

5 minutes ago, Hendsch said:

Speaking of Chromexcel, here are my Wolverine 1000 miles after 4 years of heavy wear:DSCF3557.jpg

just got them back from Brian at Role Club, he does amazing work, takes forever though...

Forgot about Brian from Role Club.  Does he have any contact info? I'll definitely hit him up for a resolve.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:56 PM, nycsurfer530 said:

ordered a new pair of Alden boots. Plain toe, Barrie last, brown calfskin with crepe sole. My favorite detail might be the brass loops. I also love seeing the special order tag whenever I order my Alden's!

these boots are super comfortable right out of the box. The crepe sole might be the most comfortable sole to walk on. Here is a current lineup of my Alden Army  

left to right:

New boots, snuff suede plains toe, Indy, suede long wings, black cordovan cap toe Aberdeen last

image.jpeg

I agree, I think Alden's contrasting eyelets really add a nice touch. As far as the speedhook being out of alignment, I had one like that, but when lace up it sort of "rotated" and straightened up.  It was no problem at all. Anyway, nice boots!

6 hours ago, givemefive said:

I think roughout is for me but I'm not totally sold because I know they will turn indigo blue!

900x900px-LL-70273848_img57635402.jpeg

My roughout Whites didn't get much Indigo Transfer, a bit wore off and the rest could be easily removed by gently brushing them while they were wet. The leather is very durable and sturdy, however my distresssed rough out had some spots that looked "bald". Nothing serious, but I was expecting a nicer finish. Would still recommend it after nearly 2 years of almost daily use.

Edited by Max Power

4 hours ago, Max Power said:

My roughout Whites didn't get much Indigo Transfer, a bit wore off and the rest could be easily removed by gently brushing them while they were wet. The leather is very durable and sturdy, however my distresssed rough out had some spots that looked "bald". Nothing serious, but I was expecting a nicer finish. Would still recommend it after nearly 2 years of almost daily use.

I like the distressed color, but probably don't want them that worn down.  Maybe I'd do the brown oil roughout then.  Maybe with a smooth brown oil shaft?  Not totally comfortable on mixing leathers yet stylewise but could have some good utility and allay my indigo transfer fears.  Not usually a big indigo transfer weeny but I've not worn $500 boots either. 

brown roughtout:

brown-roughout.jpeg

distressed roughout and distressed smooth shaft:

combo.jpg

roughout-indigo.jpg

Edited by givemefive

47 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

Are you going with a Smokejumper?

Either Smokejumper or Bounty Hunter, only difference is the last.  I have a 10.5D off-the-rack makeup coming in the smokejumper to try on. I think I will need a C width. I will figure out if the 55/SD/BH last makes sense at that time.  originally I wanted the BH last but if I can't try it on it may make it too complicated for me to dial-in.

My brannock is an 11B, I wear an 11B in Alden Barrie with dress socks.  This leads me to believe I may want a 10.5C or 11C in the Whites for boot socks. Kyle looked at my trace and said 10C but I think that will be too small. I must have messed up the trace. I will try again after I try these 10.5D.

Edited by givemefive

Got a 10.5D Smokejumper to try on.

I made a red arrow where its a little tight. In the blue area I definitely have a little space 

The ball of my foot may be a little forward of the widest part of the inside of the boot.  The heel feels ok, but the instep may be a little tight, that may be just the arch-ease.. 

228fdb1c_tight.jpeg

This is how much room I have in the toe:

b7660385_toe.jpeg

Boots look good! 
0b83a0ba_over.jpeg

I asked about an 11C Brandon from Baker's said:

You want about a thumb’s width from the end of the boot to your big toe. You would be looking at about 1/8” difference in length between an 11 and a 10.5. The width between a 10.5D and 11C is nearly identical. An 11C is going to be 1/8” narrower in the ball however will be 1/8” bigger in the instep and heel.

Some other opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

On 23/01/2017 at 9:26 AM, mikecch said:

Tricker's monkey boots in Haas calf leather :)

Review here.

I like your review Mikkech, I haven't worn mine yet.

Tricker's will be releasing their first ever monkey boot range soon I think. But I am most excited for their winter 2017 range, which will have shearling lined boots!

On 1/9/2017 at 11:13 AM, kbuzz said:

Well I went with uk8. The fit perfect first day around the house.  Felt a bit snug the second.  Fingers cross they stretch a tad

Well I wore the trickers stow 8s around the house for a few hours and then ordered an 8.5 to compare.   The 8.5 is mo' better.   So I'm going to put them up for sale.  If anyone wants a U.K. 8 pair at a discount for my mistake let me know 

trickers Stow acorn

special make up for Division road Seattle which means:

commando sole

natural welt stitching 

two tone laces. 

New $525 plus shipping=$540

I'm thinking 475 shipped in the USA 

Thanks tough to take a

hit on these but you live n learn 

IMG_2981.JPG

Edited by kbuzz

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...