Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Is there any splitting on the moc toes? If not, then I wouldn't worry too much about trying to coat this leather. If there's splitting where water can leak it, try putting Vaseline in the there to stop up the holes.

Are you wearing these in the city? Crepe sole would not be my first choice for rainy weather in the city if you want traction. 

12 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Rolling Dubs?  Have you thought about a false leather tongue?

1 hour ago, edmond said:

What boots are those?

Yes, Rolling Dub Trio's "Coupen Boots." though they are really more of a work shoe than a boot.  Hmm, I haven't thought about false tongues with these. I have used some with my White's, but mostly just go as is.

15 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Is there any splitting on the moc toes? If not, then I wouldn't worry too much about trying to coat this leather. If there's splitting where water can leak it, try putting Vaseline in the there to stop up the holes.

Are you wearing these in the city? Crepe sole would not be my first choice for rainy weather in the city if you want traction. 

Yeah there's some splitting but not too much.  I was in the middle of waterproofing one of my shoes and looked at my boots recently thinking about whether or not I wanted to do the same with them.  I'm going to try the Vaseline you suggested for the splitting.

As for winter/rainy weather, I don't wear my Red Wings as I normally wear my Danners that have goretex.  Even when I lived in Wisconsin I wouldn't wear my Red Wings and opted for my Danners instead. I still need to give them a good polish though.  Been putting that off for a loooong time.

I honestly couldn't use CXL for any type of work condition, it's just not tough enough in my opinion and should be kept strictly for fashion. Perhaps I'm biased...I had to sell off my black CXL White's LTT's because of this, and I was just wearing them day to day. Can't imagine wearing them on a worksite, etc. Best to stick with time proven work boots than fashion I reckon

My experience with the Lofgren boots is the same. The construction is flawless and the design is beautiful, but the leather feels too soft and almost flimsy for heavy application. Amazing boots, but you need to know the limits of the cxl cowhide.

Compared to my Clinch boots (which have Horween Latigo leather), the Lofgren's leather is far more damaged and actually has a couple of nasty cuts on it that the Clinch boots do not have, despite being worn in the exact same conditions.

I am hoping that the cxl hh that Role Club use is stronger.

I still love my Lofgren boots and have no intention of letting them go. The design and construction are still top notch for sure.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

well, it's still chromexcel leather, and I can understand when some people (here on denimbro, don't remember where I've read it) say it's a bit too flimsy for work boots. I wear those White's 4/5 days a week, the leather is way too oily and supple to stand up against heavy work wear. But it looks and ages beautifully nonetheless.  I just either play music or work on a computer so they're plenty fine for me. I would definitely go for a different leather if I was looking for a pair of boots to use when driving a motorcycle.

Edited by volvo240thebest

ordered a new pair of Alden boots. Plain toe, Barrie last, brown calfskin with crepe sole. My favorite detail might be the brass loops. I also love seeing the special order tag whenever I order my Alden's!

these boots are super comfortable right out of the box. The crepe sole might be the most comfortable sole to walk on. Here is a current lineup of my Alden Army  

left to right:

New boots, snuff suede plains toe, Indy, suede long wings, black cordovan cap toe Aberdeen last 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 1/21/2017 at 9:56 AM, volvo240thebest said:

well, it's still chromexcel leather, and I can understand when some people (here on denimbro, don't remember where I've read it) say it's a bit too flimsy for work boots. I wear those White's 4/5 days a week, the leather is way too oily and supple to stand up against heavy work wear. But it looks and ages beautifully nonetheless.  I just either play music or work on a computer so they're plenty fine for me. I would definitely go for a different leather if I was looking for a pair of boots to use when driving a motorcycle.

I think that claims of leathers being too "soft" for "real" work are overstated. I would say most, if not all high quality full grain leathers are good enough for 90% of hard work, unless you are fighting fires in the PNW, or something along those lines.

^ I speak for my own experience here. Natural Chromexcel is a beautiful looking leather and it can develop an amazing patina such as on my White's, but is far too oily and supple for hard wear. I get scuffs on that leather way more easily than on my other shoes and that's a fact.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...