Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I will add that I got these 3-4 years ago and the SJ's are cleanly constructed, not at all like some of the gargabge Whites spit out and people tried to justify.  The Oxfords on the other hand are sloppy.  Wonky stitching in places and some glue stuck to the rough out leather.  That said they are bulletproof.  

My White's are only a little over a year old and their stitching and construction was pretty much perfect, though I've seen some wonky stitching in the past.

I recently asked the current shop foreman about what has changed since the ABC Mart buyout and this is what he had to say

I have been waiting for this question.  Let me start by saying that absolutely nothing has changed at Whites boots.  We still have 3 generations of bootmakers in the building. Starting with my step father, who is the CEO and has been at Whites for over 45 years. Myself made boots for 26 years and I am the shop foreman, quality control and R & D.  Lastly is my nephew who has 10 years bootmaking experience and is our top bootmaker.  We have heard all the rumors, people can say what they want.  If you don't know the Japanese are all about quality. So we would hear about it if our quality was lacking.  ABC mart asks for some small things as far as boots they would like built for the Japanese market. Other than that all of our dealings are with LFI ( Lacrosse Footwear / Danner ).  We have a great relationship with them and they are very helpful  in everything we want to do.  We hired a new buyer 2 years ago and he is relentless at finding the highest quality products for our boots.  We still build them one at a time and will keep doing it the same way for years to come. We are very excited for our new line of boots to come out in 2017.  It will be a more of a lifestyle line of boots and shoes.  I have an open invitation to anybody who would like to come for a factory tour.  Just contact me.  Thanks, Eric Kinney

Well, since they are not offered on White's, Wesco's, Nicks or any other men's work boot style I know of, I think you can safely say they are a strictly feminine touch nowadays.

What the fuck?

05cb9d4d_P1040628.jpeg

Of course this isn't as pronounced as on some cowboy boots but it sure is a curved heel.

I have some brass hardware on a pair of boots that have oxidized. Should I polish the brass eyelets and hooks or have them age gracefully? Is it possible to polish the hardware without ruining the leather of the shoe?

Edited by mlwdp

Does anyone have any recommendations for a boot similar to the Santa Rosa Fillmore? Looking for something in grey, suede preferred. Basically something to wear at work (business casual) and out and about with jeans. Not looking for true, over the ankle boots, as they never feel quite comfortable.

Boot in question:

DSCF8812.jpg?v=1463859408

The brand Unmarked is great but the wait time to get them is a pain but worth it in the end if they past through customs. They'll do a custom pair if you want. Edited by mlwdp

I love your boots wesco i swear by them but :

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the pictures, but unfortunately, I am sorry to say, there is really nothing I can do with it. If its rough to the touch, then you might be able to trim off any leather that seems hard, dried out condition. Maybe use an exacto knife or finger nail clippers. I do not think oiling it will help. But as it is, we cannot redo the tops.

Thanks,

Ray Kessinger III

Wesco

Rebuild / Warranty Dept.

800.326.2711 x207

Speaking of engineers, I came across these Flat Head Engineer boots yesterday. Wayyyy out of my price range thoughfhf-fb-003blk-16ss_2.jpg

Can't really decide if I like them or not.

Awful.something a camp cowboy would wear

Interesting to see White's will have a booth at Inspiration LA next month. I'm guessing to preview their casual boot line, which I'll document widely for you all here. Personally, I'll stick with the standard work boots, but do agree the new designs will appeal to many.

Interesting to see White's will have a booth at Inspiration LA next month. I'm guessing to preview their casual boot line, which I'll document widely for you all here. Personally, I'll stick with the standard work boots, but do agree the new designs will appeal to many.

See you there?

Damn I love my Workman boots by Unmarked.  It's boot weather so I've been breaking them into the rotation.  My first experience with Chromexcel leather. Nice little oxidation on the brass eyelets and hooks.

image_zps5efzgiai.jpg

image_zpsmu7gonlw.jpg

10 hours ago, mikecch said:

Tricker's monkey boots made with French calf from Haas Tannery (the Barenia dudes):

ucjPqgT.jpg

those are similar (might even be the same) to the ones I bought during christmas sale!

1 hour ago, mikecch said:

^ From Superdenim? Then it is :)

Yup the very same. I should have waited a bit longer until the 2nd price drop, but I had my eye on these for a long time and was waiting until they went on sale

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...