Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

My main complaint about my Rolling Dub Trios was that the heel was just too darn high, with the triple midsole and heel it was 1.5". And I always felt like I was teetering on them, and my heel was striking hard with every stride.  So I took them in to a local cobbler to put a lower heel cap on.  He was surprised they used a full heel, and he put on for me a Vibram half heel. They are now 1.25", and feel SO much better!  I am very glad I did it.  I really love the look of the classic Cat's Paw and will miss it. And the new Vibram at first looks a bit diminutive by comparison, but I am already getting used to it. Most of all, it works so much better for me and now I will wear them without hesitation.

RDT%20heel%202_zps2jebbhm4.jpg

RDT%20heel_zpsoypkxzqs.jpg

Tender has some excellent tube socks as well; I picked up a few pairs from Standard and Strange last month and they're definitely my favorite socks right now (even beating out Kapital, who I thought had reached the zenith of sock craftsmanship...)

By the way, some early updates on my Truman boots, about two months in with relatively heavy wear (lots of scrambling and shuffling through the snowy winter so far...)

image.jpg

image.jpg

edit: anyone more knowledgeable about leather have some tips for caring for the waxed flesh on these? they don't seem like they need it yet but it'd be good to know for the future.

Edited by chicote

^ UK/Aus sizing, at regular width it is true to Brannock's if wearing thin to medium socks. Size up half or even one if you like wearing thicker socks.

E.g. I can wear the Stow from UK size 8 to 9 depending on socks.

With White's/Wesco/Nick's I wear US size 8.5 to 9.

Edited by mikecch

Mike thanks. I'm a USA brannock 9D. Slightly in the narrow side. Dot have an opportunity to try on.

Seems to be no consensus whether to go TTS which would be a U.K. 8. Or drop only to a U.K. 8.5.

Also how do you find the heel. Worried a bit about slippage on that last which I hear runs closer to a USA e then d

White's is stepping up their game in the casual boot market. This is a prototype on a 'Barrie' last and Dainite sole.

caaf786a_20161228_181840.jpeg2553856e_20161228_182247.jpeg

Whilst this market is getting crowded with say the AE HIGGINS MILL and the merchant boot. Those look very fine. I like a more pronounced and louder white welt stitch though.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...