Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I haven't handled or seen Truman boots in person, but my only complaint is that almost all of their boots seem very pointed (almost exactly like the Viberg 2030 last which I can't stand). Some of them aren't quite so flat and elongated, but compared to my Viberg 2045 Boondockers most of them would be considered a lot more narrow in the toe.

Now I will say that their derby looks nice, and I might consider a pair next spring/summer.

What I really want is a pair of Viberg 145 oxfords, but those seem to be impossible to find lately outside the Japanese market. And they don't usually make size 11.5 or 12 for those stores.  :D

What's the word on Truman? I've been out of the game for a while...Seems like Whites x Viberg x Oak Street styling? How does the build compare? Not buying, just interested :)

I wrote a review for their boot a couple of months ago:

https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/truman-boot-co-custom-boots-review/

Oh, nice socks, mikecch. Brand?

Thanks! White Mountaineering.

Sorry aho, I never got back to you!

Well, I’m not so experienced with boots like Mike for example or the other folks here. I can only tell that I really like the waxed flesh they use, the construction is very clean, the boots are heavy but they are damn comfy from the get-to. No breaking-in period required. I could wear them the whole day without any problems like bruises or fatigue feet.

They do have a similar style like Viberg but you don’t pay the price for the name.

And they do look pointier on pictures than they in reality. In fact, when you look at them from the top they are quite bulky and wide. My WW2 Impressions Boondockers are much pointier.

One thing you have to take in mind: they have a very small instep making it hard to get into the boots.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a boot similar to the Santa Rosa Fillmore? Looking for something in grey, suede preferred. Basically something to wear at work (business casual) and out and about with jeans. Not looking for true, over the ankle boots, as they never feel quite comfortable.

Boot in question:

DSCF8812.jpg?v=1463859408

Edited by elmcitizen

I'd be open so some oxfords as well, doesn't need to be a slip-on. Just looking for a grey, maybe black...

I think the red wing model you're after is the romeo but it may be discontinued. and I think the santa rosa model looks quite a bit cooler.

Thanks, I'll look and see what i out there.

Being Australian and growing up with elastic sided paddock boots, these American below ankle versions never look quite right...

Maybe they look better on the feet?

I wish boots felt comfortable but for some reason my heel always is uncomfortable in boots. I've tried multiple brands with no success.

A bit late, and also not the greatest picture, but here is my shoddy contribution to the Truman pointedness debate:

image.jpg

These are size 8.5, one half size down from my normal, with a structured toe. I actually find them rounder than I expected—not bulbous, like my Iron Rangers, but also not overly slimmed down like, for example, Vibergs on the 2030 last. They're really comfortable and well-designed—like others have mentioned, there was practically no break-in period, and the tight instep is a welcome accommodation for slim ankles. Plus the leather is great! That's all I've got for now.

My main complaint about my Rolling Dub Trios was that the heel was just too darn high, with the triple midsole and heel it was 1.5". And I always felt like I was teetering on them, and my heel was striking hard with every stride.  So I took them in to a local cobbler to put a lower heel cap on.  He was surprised they used a full heel, and he put on for me a Vibram half heel. They are now 1.25", and feel SO much better!  I am very glad I did it.  I really love the look of the classic Cat's Paw and will miss it. And the new Vibram at first looks a bit diminutive by comparison, but I am already getting used to it. Most of all, it works so much better for me and now I will wear them without hesitation.

RDT%20heel%202_zps2jebbhm4.jpg

RDT%20heel_zpsoypkxzqs.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...