Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

What's the word on Truman? I've been out of the game for a while...Seems like Whites x Viberg x Oak Street styling? How does the build compare? Not buying, just interested :)

In other news, my daily beater White's' pull tab finally ripped off. 4 years going strong and they haven't even seen a heel replacement. Craziest quabaug and vibram soles I've owned, I've had other pairs wear down at 20x the rate, and I wear these at least 2/3 of the year...

I've had my bounty hunters, with the quabaug heel, for just about a year. They're my work boots and I do a lot of walking in them every day. Been pretty happy with the Vibram 700 and at the most worn point of the heel, I'd say I've gone through about half of the rubber. Not sure how much more wear I can get out of them, before I should reheel. If there's anything more durable than this sole/heel combo, I'd like to know.

31195569841_4d63f44e40_b.jpg31166389602_41d082ae64_h.jpg31166386182_8a2c1bc5bd_h.jpg

Edited by Rob060

cool. thanks for the info. i'd like to at least get another 6 months out of the heel. interested in maybe trying a lowered block heel, but white's seem to make a really big 'shelf' on those block heels. would want to see if they can sand it a little closer because it looks like it would feel so weird when walking, especially coming from the curved heel.

Edited by Rob060

cool. thanks for the info. i'd like to at least get another 6 months out of the heel. interested in maybe trying a lowered block heel, but white's seem to make a really big 'shelf' on those block heels. would want to see if they can sand it a little closer because it looks like it would feel so weird when walking, especially coming from the curved heel.

White's has refused to sand it down in the past, but if you order through Baker's boots they will sand it down for you before sending it out.

About lowered heels my advice: DON'T DO IT! 

I have a really nice pair of Wesco Packers, lowered heel for Japanese market. I wore them a good 10 times before I gave up. The imbalance and constant "leaning backwards" feel bugged the crap out of me and probably would mess up my gait and posture if I wore them any longer. 

With regard to block or curved heels, and lowered or high heels, it is clearly to each his own.  I am very much a fan of both block and lowered heels, on White's and Vibergs.  The higher heels make me feel like I am walking on stilts, and that I am constantly banging my heel hard every time I take a step.  The lowered helps with both feelings.  A curved heel would help with the latter, but as my wife and daughter both said independently when I had a pair of White's with curved heels to try on:  "are those ladies' boots?"  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

How do the Alfred Sargent compare to Trickers? Worth the extra money?

The pricing is similar, I think? Most British shops sell either for around 350 pounds.

I think AS Hannover has some nice little details that Tricker's Stow doesn't have, but overall the build quality is similar.

AS's scotch grain leather is a bit oilier than Tricker's - which is great!

So far, I wouldn't definitely recommend one over the other. Will put up a proper review next week :)

What's the word on Truman? I've been out of the game for a while...Seems like Whites x Viberg x Oak Street styling? How does the build compare? Not buying, just interested :)

In other news, my daily beater White's' pull tab finally ripped off. 4 years going strong and they haven't even seen a heel replacement. Craziest quabaug and vibram soles I've owned, I've had other pairs wear down at 20x the rate, and I wear these at least 2/3 of the year...

i have no idea who they are, how long they have been around but I did handle a pair at Standard and Strange the other day.  Very nice looking boots, seem well made.  I would say the construction is generally on par or cleaner than Viberg, but the only Vibergs I have seen are the garbage they spammed out at the peak of their popularity when the QC dept seemed to go on vacation.  They are not as heavy as the Boondockers I have seen, but they are heavier than my pair of Alden dainty ballet slippers for him Indy's.  The waxed flesh leather they used is teh shit though.  I will get this leather the next time I get a new pair of boots for sure

Edited by garden gnomes in space

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...