Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

jesus, do you drag your feet a lot?  Ive never seen that much wear in such short time/  Its generally advisable to avoid wearing through the sole and wearing into the midsole.  It wont mean imminent death for your boots but it'll just be a more costly repair further down the line.  I cant say if thats normal wear or not, but my gut tells me its premature.  I dont know if the sole is just a bad sole or not but it shouldnt be that worn after so few days.

jesus, do you drag your feet a lot?  Ive never seen that much wear in such short time/  Its generally advisable to avoid wearing through the sole and wearing into the midsole.  It wont mean imminent death for your boots but it'll just be a more costly repair further down the line.  I cant say if thats normal wear or not, but my gut tells me its premature.  I dont know if the sole is just a bad sole or not but it shouldnt be that worn after so few days.

Hehe, no. But I walk fast. This may lead to pushing more on the toes area.

This wear pattern can be found on all my shoes (see below). In the RW case, it's no big deal as the whole sole would be replaced. In this case, it may be a mix of poor quality sole and my wear habits. As far as it's not too much of a problem and can be repaired, it will be ok I guess.

I saw some reinforcement can be added too. Not sure that's possible on any type of sole though.

27526032412_2630b4577d_c.jpg

I remember at the time that Viberg didn't want to admit it, but it seemed clear that they had gotten a bad batch of Itshides.  Lots of chipping like this and even some of the cleats breaking off.  I think they replaced some soles at no charge, but the boots might be too old now for that. You could check.

After seeing Kiya mention Unmarked Boots from Mexico in his Reddit AMA, I looked around their website and picked up a pair of Postmans http://www.unmarked.mx/products/postman

Thick Horween leather, clean workmanship, and the vibram sole is super comfy. In the $300 price range it is definitely worth checking out.(they have a coupon code for $50 off your first order)IMG_20160613_172632.jpg

Just got my Viberg beige calf derbies in size 12 from Notre Shop. A little long I must say, but I think the width is spot on. I think that if I got some insoles for them they would fit just right. I'm also not wearing them with socks right now, so that could have something to do with it too. I think with some wear these will look a lot less dressy. Leather is really nice, I can see it aging similarly to natural chromexcel.

Now I need to stop buying shoes.  :D

5nBKu9O.jpg

NZ2W3C4.jpg

Zr8nOQR.jpg

1iD02mz.jpg

those are too big on you

Just got my Viberg beige calf derbies in size 12 from Notre Shop. A little long I must say, but I think the width is spot on. I think that if I got some insoles for them they would fit just right. I'm also not wearing them with socks right now, so that could have something to do with it too. I think with some wear these will look a lot less dressy. Leather is really nice, I can see it aging similarly to natural chromexcel.

Now I need to stop buying shoes.  :D

5nBKu9O.jpg

NZ2W3C4.jpg

Zr8nOQR.jpg

1iD02mz.jpg

I actually wore them out running some errands today and they weren't too bad. I think an insole might help a little, but my feet aren't sliding around or anything. Just a strange last for my feet maybe, a little too long while being the right width.

The Loom & Last ones are made by Lastrite in Whangarei, NZ. They use the same Rapid Standard Brass Screw machine for soling that William Lennon does - apparently only 5 or 6 still exist globally. Both companies may use similar lasts too as the boot profiles seem quite similar.

More information here courtesy of Paul T: http://loomstate.co.uk

the 2060 is just glued to the mid.  If the crepe sole is glued as well, its just a rip off and replace job.  In these situations, just about anyone can do the job, but some cobblers slack on letting the glue set long enough or they dont spread it evenly about.  But if your guy isnt a buffoon, it should be ok.  

Got my correct Trickers boots today, couldn't be happier! I can see why lot of people rave about Trickers, they look and feel great. Will see how they are after a full day (and more) wearing them

IMG_20160617_232140.jpg

IMG_20160617_231037.jpg

Edited by Niro

Not usually into Trickers for some reason (can't put my finger on it) but those look nice.

I also like the look of those Last and Loom boots.

I picked up some generic Dr. Scholl's insoles for my Viberg derbies and they fit perfectly now.

I was worried I would have to try and sell them!

Yea me too, this was the only Trickers boot style that I liked. It's almost exactly the same as the collab between Trickers and Superdenim, but in calf leather not shell cordovan.

The high end english shoemakers rarely seem to do any cap toe boots, let alone ones without grain leather or those perforated patterns on the leather.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...