Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

sorry for clog this thread with more sizing help questions.

I am looking for advice re sizing on a pair of White Nomads/general sizing enquiry on engineer boots.

Never had a pair of engineer boots myself before. I usually like to buy all of my shoes on the loose side and then slap an insole. Am i correct to think that with engineers it's better to size them "just" as our Japanese friends would say in their Anglo-Japanese gramelot? I am coming to this conclusion seen that there are no possibility to fasten the strings tight as I could do with normal boots.

onto Nomads sizing, I've done a bit of research on the internet and I've seen that the general consensus is that Nomads run considerably large. I read someone saying that it's a safe idea to a half size down comparing to Converse All Star sizing. Anyone could confirm that?

I am a EU size 44 on Chucks, which translates to a US 10. Thing is, i've found a used pair of Nomads that are 9.5 US EE width (which is great for me), and I am on the fence of wheter taking the risk of buying them or not.

I usually size the rest of my boots in a very crazy way, I like to go oversize (to compensate my foot width when it's not possible to find shoes with the correct width for my feet, which hapens often, especially when buying 2nd hand). I wear a 10 UK on Tricker's and a 10 UK on RW8111 (which funnily translates into a US 11 instead of a US 10,5 according to the RW label inside the tongue of the boots!).

Last question, I am not a biker, I plan to use the boots just to live my normal [volvo] life, which includes walking often as well as driving a car... Does engineer boots are comfortable to walk normal distances? I don't mind a weighty boot (I am used to Lennons which weight A TON) unless we're talking about a very heavy weight.

thanks in advance!

Edited by volvo240thebest

Engineers have the strap to tighten them up if needed, but as with all high shaft pull on boots you won't get a really tight fit overall, some heel slippage is normal (and needed since you wouldn't be able to pull them on otherwise).

Comfort depends on the sole I guess, I have three pairs of Red Wings with the neoprene cord sole and I find them comfortable enough for medium walking duty - I've worn my 2268's on a city trip to Salzburg when they weren't even broken in yet and had no problems. Soles with lower heels might even be more comfy (but to me, Engineers need high heels for that vintage look).

I guess you won't go for steel toe? Because then I'd advise you to go as wide as you can ;)

Edited by Cucoo

Volvo I have a pair of the Nomads and my sizing differed from the consensus you mentioned. I am an 8.5 D in most boots (and all White's boots I have tried so far), and the 8.5 D in the Nomads fit me perfectly. For reference, I am an 8 US in Chucks. I would suggest that the Nomads are very comfortable for walking long distances, and the extra width in the pair you found may be enough to make that pair work.

Feel free to PM me to discuss further.

I guess you won't go for steel toe? Because then I'd advise you to go as wide as you can ;)

for Gawd's sake, no way that I go for a steel toe boot! there's nothing I hate more than the felling of steel inside the boots when curling my toes!

sorry for clog this thread with more sizing help questions.

I am looking for advice re sizing on a pair of White Nomads/general sizing enquiry on engineer boots.

Never had a pair of engineer boots myself before. I usually like to buy all of my shoes on the loose side and then slap an insole. Am i correct to think that with engineers it's better to size them "just" as our Japanese friends would say in their Anglo-Japanese gramelot? I am coming to this conclusion seen that there are no possibility to fasten the strings tight as I could do with normal boots.

onto Nomads sizing, I've done a bit of research on the internet and I've seen that the general consensus is that Nomads run considerably large. I read someone saying that it's a safe idea to a half size down comparing to Converse All Star sizing. Anyone could confirm that?

I am a EU size 44 on Chucks, which translates to a US 10. Thing is, i've found a used pair of Nomads that are 9.5 US EE width (which is great for me), and I am on the fence of wheter taking the risk of buying them or not.

I usually size the rest of my boots in a very crazy way, I like to go oversize (to compensate my foot width when it's not possible to find shoes with the correct width for my feet, which hapens often, especially when buying 2nd hand). I wear a 10 UK on Tricker's and a 10 UK on RW8111 (which funnily translates into a US 11 instead of a US 10,5 according to the RW label inside the tongue of the boots!).

Last question, I am not a biker, I plan to use the boots just to live my normal [volvo] life, which includes walking often as well as driving a car... Does engineer boots are comfortable to walk normal distances? I don't mind a weighty boot (I am used to Lennons which weight A TON) unless we're talking about a very heavy weight.

thanks in advance!

Those are my old nomads that you found. I don't wear chucks but I wear an 8 1/2 in Trickers. The nomads were too big for me by about 1/2 size or so.

Volvo I have a pair of the Nomads and my sizing differed from the consensus you mentioned. I am an 8.5 D in most boots (and all White's boots I have tried so far), and the 8.5 D in the Nomads fit me perfectly. For reference, I am an 8 US in Chucks. I would suggest that the Nomads are very comfortable for walking long distances, and the extra width in the pair you found may be enough to make that pair work.

Feel free to PM me to discuss further.

cheers at I'll be mp-ing you shortly!

Those are my old nomads that you found. I don't wear chucks but I wear an 8 1/2 in Trickers. The nomads were too big for me by about 1/2 size or so.

hey that helps thanks. so you wear a 8.5 in trickers and went for a 9.5 ee on the nomads?

Aho, I'm eyeying an used pair of whites. no chance on earth that I could fork out the €€€ for a new pair of role clubs, and tbh while of course I appreciate his workmanship greatly, other brands offer a design that I like better.

Edited by volvo240thebest

for Gawd's sake, no way that I go for a steel toe boot! there's nothing I hate more than the felling of steel inside the boots when curling my toes!

That's why you go wide ;) Also it's not blank steel, there's the lining and when feeling around with your toes it doesn't feel any different from boots with a celastic toe box, IMO. Doesn't matter though, I just like a bulbous toe better on engineers than a flat toe box, doesn't matter to me if it's steel or celastic that forms the toe box :)

Got rid of my steel toe; the trick is to size up half a size or one full size, which I didn't do and lived to regret.

Volvo, if you're looking at the same used White's Nomads that I think you're looking at, then they're going for a very good price. Change out the buckles down the line if you like and they'll be a real bargain!

Edit: It's also worth checking out Wesco's factory seconds:

https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/FS.aspx

Edited by Iron Horse

hope they fit well for you. i'm 4 months in on my bounty hunters and they've been great for working/walking on my feet 8 hours a day. it's amazing how something with no cushioning, but total support, can make your feet feel better than something like a nike running shoe, that's nothing but cushioning.

We'll see how they work. They might be snug length wise as I am used to size my shoes clown style, but will do an effort to make these work, I hope. the only MTO pair I have has about the same insole measurements (and shorter outsole) and works nicely.

These nomads look amazing from photos i've been provided with. Natural chromexcel with cord soles by dr sole.

Hi Guys, I have no experience with reheeling and resoling welted shoes so I have some questions. I disproportionately wear down the heel much more than the other parts of my soles. I had my boots Topy's when new and the rubber layers are still thick after a several months of wear. Now the heels, I already wore it down a couple of layers. I have placed and worn down heel taps twice and am wondering, would just replacing two layers of the heels be possible? Is it usually a hard job for cobblers? What do you guys usually do?

Hi Guys, I have no experience with reheeling and resoling welted shoes so I have some questions. I disproportionately wear down the heel much more than the other parts of my soles. I had my boots Topy's when new and the rubber layers are still thick after a several months of wear. Now the heels, I already wore it down a couple of layers. I have placed and worn down heel taps twice and am wondering, would just replacing two layers of the heels be possible? Is it usually a hard job for cobblers? What do you guys usually do?

if i understand correctly, you are asking if a cobbler can address and fix worn heels instead of the entire sole?  If so, yes, any competent cobbler should be able to address this and fix accordingly

Replacing the heels is not expensive.

Brian The Bootmaker, or original manufacturer are good choices based upon your location.

An experienced cobbler can do it as well, but ask first. Any wishy washy answers, move on to the next guy.

I also replace probably two - three heels at least, before a resole.

What I'm doing now is attaching heel taps and I just put the 3rd pair in my boots which have maybe 7 months of 1-2x wear on them. I'm thinking that if replacing the heel would be longer lasting, I would not rather have the taps. Are the Cat's paw heels I frequently see used here more durable?

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...