Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

For one, the 1970s are a bit wider in the front than regular chucks in the same size ;)

It's construction and details both, I'll take a few pics of 70s and regular ones side by side. For example the rubber part is more "massive" and taller, and the footbed is cushioned and way more comfortable. And they do look more retro than regular Chucks.

Personally I was thinking about getting on of those "made in USA" PF Flyers model for an even more retro look, but can't get them in Europe and I'm too cheap to pay customs for a sneaker I'm not sure I'll nail sizing with the first try.

I find the 70's to be a bit slimmer in the toe box?

They are better/heavier canvass and the insole is much better. PF flyers are real nice, very comfortable. I have one pair of the regular ones and 2 pairs of the MIJ archive reissues. Cucoo check out superdenim I think they still have a couple of pairs of the MIJ flyers left.

Whilst on the subject, the purcell signature are great. They are the 70's equivalent in jack purcells

I bought them on release day from the chucks website. I mis-sized. You should get a 1/2 size larger than you wear in the chuck originals.  They didn't really compensate for the sole in the new sizing scheme so they fit like chucks + an insole...kinda

Ended up giving them to my brother.

I think they look fine, but I prefer the originals. Will try them again if I see a sale.

Edited by givemefive

Figured i would add this review here that i posted on reddit a few hours ago

Intro

A few months ago I stumbled upon the Up There Store’s Instagram and then subsequently checked out their online store. I instantly fell in love with these boots, I hummed and hawed about buying them because I felt they would be extremely difficult to fit into my wardrobe. After a few months of waiting on them, ensuring they would be my correct size, consulting with some of the guys at the store, and then determining these would make a great pair to base some cool Japanese-workwear visvim-esq inspired looks off of I pulled the trigger. It also helped that they added these to their sale…making them ~50% off. Living in Australia has really made me focus on buying locally since shipping anything here is insanely expensive and the USD is killing most international sales

The Makeup

http://www.yuketen.com/native-maine-guide/

“A new variation of Yuketens Maine Guide 6-Eye boots.

Made from a Loden Green chromexcel leather, the Native Maine Guide boot has a native American concho and bead deatiling on the outerside of each shoe with beautiful embossed deatiling on the toe. With a Vibram sole and Moccasin construction this is one of the most comfortable boots in Yuketens range.†– Uptherestore

The Fit & Sizing

These are a 12E, I normally wear a 11.5 in Viberg 2030, an 11.5 in redwings (thin socks, a 12 fits better with thick socks), 12 in most nikes without socks, and I wear a 12D Barrie in my Alden x Jcrew #8 PCT Boots (which are apparently tighter than the normal alden barrie last).

These were instantly comfy out of the box, primarily due to the Vibram 2021 which is pretty damn soft and bouncy. The leather is lined which makes them fairly stiff. I wore these once so far and they will need a bit of time before they become truly comfortable

Overall these fit nicely with thin socks but will be perfect with some thicker socks for the aussie winter…if you can call it a winter…

Construction and Materials

The leather is thick, thicker than the CXL on my old wolverines, its thick and glorious, that is once I gave it some saphir reno. These boots were released back in Summer of 2014 I believe and man were they dry when I got them, I’ve never seen boots drink reno so fast before. They feel great now but if they dry out again in the next month they will get hit with a hardy helping of Lexol to ensure they are conditioned nicely.

The CXL is clicked nicely, there is only one area on the left boot on the inside of the toe that there might be a bit of loose creasing, but its such a small area that its not a huge deal in the long run. The leather has a great sheen too it and I’m pretty excited with how it works with denim, both faded and dark.

The Welt is massive on these, it’s a bit odd looking at first but I’ve come to like the way it protrudes. Its like the boots are floating on a massive leather platform. The Vibram 2021 sole is interesting, I tend to blow through heels on my boots in 3-4 months so I’m interested to see how these hold up. For a resole in the future I’m thinking a vibram honey ripple sole or a nice thick normal vibram honey sole.

The conch and the beads on this boot give them a bit of flair that I think will be able to pull some attention to the boots and the patterned impressions are also cool too.

I can’t find any missed stitches or sloppy areas of this boot, one minor thing is that the boot sits somewhat crookedly on the sole, I think its just a bit off missed sole/welt trimming (not sure on the terminology) once the sole was cemented on. Not a big deal to me and it’s unnoticeable once I have them on and I’m moving…

Overall I am quite please with these boots and the construction, I’m not entirely convinced that they are worth their retail price of $820 AUD but for $400 AUD (~285 USD) shipped they are a fantastic deal.

Final Thoughts

These boots aren’t for everyone; they have some flash to them. They aren’t meant to be taken too seriously but at the same time they are built like serious tanks. I love them, I prefer them with a bit of a slimmer leg opening than the jeans I have on in the pictures (TFH 3009 fyi). They are chunky ass boots with some flamboyancy.

The Up There Store also has some deals on some other Yuketens right now, there’s a pair of the MAINE GUIDE OX DB - VEG TAN in size 7 for $400 AUD right now with free worldwide shipping…which is a steal for anyone with USD to blow https://www.uptherestore.com/collections/deadstock-sale/products/02405pm?variant=5653484868

Z1ZRZLE.jpg

yh8azVo.jpg

CJF13i3.jpg

tPFDqDd.jpg

VT3yorF.jpg

XN7FeOF.jpg

OAmREQx.jpg

9aUiuE7.jpg

Its not removable. From what i can tell its a riveted concho that is added to the green cxl before the goat lining(?) is glued and stitched onto the back side 

The colour is filling a gap of green in my wardrobe...its pretty much indigo everything at this point...

Finally going to get these resoled and refinished for the first time soon. Alden, 2.5years old (edit, originally thought it was more like 3), lots of use.

25266680105_802c9c9760_b.jpg

25266677315_3325aeef5e_b.jpg

25240395146_4f2970a03f_b.jpg

25266662115_f843069b5c_b.jpg

25240401746_dbe433d011_b.jpg

24899003379_36d308fdf0_b.jpg

24636046884_1df5b039e9_b.jpg

Edited by cander49

Figured i would add this review here that i posted on reddit a few hours ago....

I have to say, I have a very similar pair going on year 3 from Yuketen right now, they are the same colour (more or less), unlined rough out db style toe stitch, and they're the old 7 hole style (all eyelets, new 7 holes have speed hooks).

After putting them through the paces a few times, I have to say, while I found them pretty comfortable out of the box (Yuketens fit me exceptionally well), they took a good 3+ months of regular wear to really start to wear in the mid sole, they are built for the long haul.

The one major downside for me was the 2021 sole, which is between crap and awful on anything approaching snow or ice, and doesn't take particularly well to the field/hills in the summer either.  It lasts damn near forever, and is springy the whole way through, but it is not the most functional piece for outdoor use.  I strongly prefer a Cortina or Roccia style sole unit with these, makes them much more useful for a jaunt through the forest with the dogs.

Overall, I think the style of boot takes a bit of getting used to, but they are perhaps under rated as really enjoyable boots to wear, and they wear in possibly more comfortably than anything else I have tried thus far.  I got mine for a song ($260 CAD, shipped), but having said that, if I ever need another pair, I might strongly consider putting the full price down for a make up I'm really keen on.

I'll try to get a pic up in a bit, but I don't own a quality camera, so it will be peasant quality.

I have to say, I have a very similar pair going on year 3 from Yuketen right now, they are the same colour (more or less), unlined rough out db style toe stitch, and they're the old 7 hole style (all eyelets, new 7 holes have speed hooks).

After putting them through the paces a few times, I have to say, while I found them pretty comfortable out of the box (Yuketens fit me exceptionally well), they took a good 3+ months of regular wear to really start to wear in the mid sole, they are built for the long haul.

The one major downside for me was the 2021 sole, which is between crap and awful on anything approaching snow or ice, and doesn't take particularly well to the field/hills in the summer either.  It lasts damn near forever, and is springy the whole way through, but it is not the most functional piece for outdoor use.  I strongly prefer a Cortina or Roccia style sole unit with these, makes them much more useful for a jaunt through the forest with the dogs.

Overall, I think the style of boot takes a bit of getting used to, but they are perhaps under rated as really enjoyable boots to wear, and they wear in possibly more comfortably than anything else I have tried thus far.  I got mine for a song ($260 CAD, shipped), but having said that, if I ever need another pair, I might strongly consider putting the full price down for a make up I'm really keen on.

I'll try to get a pic up in a bit, but I don't own a quality camera, so it will be peasant quality.

I can understand the issues with the 2021 sole...I'm not really used to it yet, i was trying to quickly scamper down some stairs today to make the train and i swear to god i almost ate it down 4 flights. They will take some getting used to or i can't be as reckless in them. They will be great for casual weekend wear around the city tho!

Edited by karanimal

Hitthebreakroom closed their online Danner/Lacrosse website :( I guess no more deals on Danner boots and JP exclusives. I read that they're going to just have their sales on the main Danner site, whenever that happens.

Really love those Alden Cander49. Is the leather natural CXL?

It's actually a J Crew model, exclusive to them I believe. It's "tobacco" calfskin. The color is ever-so-slightly redder in real life, which doesn't quite show up in my photos. Compared to other chromexcel shoes of mine, this leather darkens more easily with treatment, but it seems to require even less treatment.

'Really more of lace-up kinda guy, but [these] were hard to resist .... Took delivery today

The Hopper: Styleforum X Viberg Engineer Boots in Tobacco Chamois

• 2005 Last

• Unstructured Toes

• Stitchdown

• Cats Paw + Vibram 705

14C17E69-AA98-49BD-B778-104C5AFD20E0.jpg

55470C38-38A3-41C6-A7B9-CDDB1A5CFCD7.jpg

A20603C4-D04E-4D62-A66C-C94B89DEF73F.jpe

9E83B566-6547-45CE-B319-2C2E48BA7DA4.jpe

73FDB56B-5B67-4CAC-8C5D-9812A646A7D9.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Those Hopper boots are fucking boss! Can't wait to see what they look like after a year of use and abuse.

@BM -f'g awesome!

Thanks ... So glad I took the plunge. It's my very 1st engineers__ the Hopper was a huge leap for me.

Out of the box, there was a lot of tugging to get my foot in__ my mind was raising; deep breathing :) ... For awhile there I thought I messed on sizing or maybe got the wrong sh*t. The shaft, I thought, was too narrow to work.

It's my 1st time to handle boots this tall w/o laces or zips ... Once I got 1 foot in & can see I got a thumb of space upfront, I was relieved__ it may take a few wears to soften & stretch the lower shaft [for easier access], but I'm pretty confident now it's going to work

Btw, sized up 1/2 from my 1035, which I'm glad I did.

Edited by BrownMetallic

I just wanted to share that, to this day, I deeply regret not winning this auction on eBay 2.5 years ago: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-NOS-Unworn-ALLEN-EDMONDS-SHELL-CORDOVAN-Leeds-10-5-D-Amazing-Find-Color-6-/121182717489?ssPageName=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A3160&nma=true&si=%252FUfGSb1ytEaSL4TdGXZsI74FxDY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You can't see the picture anymore, but the description suffices. New old stock Color #6 (!!!!!!!) shell cordovan wholecut bluchers from 1960 in my size, with far better details and construction than what AE puts into anything these days. I was just getting into shell and had no idea that I could never get something like this again. The auction went for an ultra-cheap $415 and I was the 2nd highest bidder. I didn't bid again because I figured I could get a better deal in the future. Fucking facepalm. Don't even have the pictures anymore. So much regret...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...