Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

did you send in a tracing to either White's or Bakers? 

I'm asking because if you did they should be able to work it out with you. I know that sucks, but I'm sure you'll be happy in the end.

Whites arrived, and they're a good half size to big. I went with a slimmer last (bounty hunter from standard) with same measurements. To say I am upset would be pretty accurate.

It looks weird because of the angle of the back on the saw blade I am using as a gauge, and the condition of my old boot, but can see the size difference. Didn't even bother putting that boot on as I can clearly see it looks like a clowns boot in the box.

t6YlrVD.jpg

But besides the unwearble issue, these boots are fucking sweet. Wouldn't have gone with cuban heel, but apparently you have to if you want a steel toe which I found kind of odd to be honest. But builds pretty obvious, lace to toe, 8", red dog rough and smooth (love the combos, and had to get the red dog rough out after seeing gnomes and max's)

pKpddJu.jpgDM0DDBo.jpgIj5ZOkd.jpgBjpxcNB.jpgs7l5CFF.jpg6LgFldv.jpg

Edited by bradl

hows the quality of the stitching?  Right when I got my Whites it seemed there was more and more shitty stitch jobs coming out of their shop.  Might have been the 1000% increase in interest in their boots thanks to the workwear craze so I am wondering how they have managed.  

hows the quality of the stitching?  Right when I got my Whites it seemed there was more and more shitty stitch jobs coming out of their shop.  Might have been the 1000% increase in interest in their boots thanks to the workwear craze so I am wondering how they have managed.

I noticed a lot of wonky stitching in pictures but my 1-2 week old white's came out great.

Whites arrived, and they're a good half size to big. I went with a slimmer last (bounty hunter from standard) with same measurements. To say I am upset would be pretty accurate.

That sucks. It was a 9 week wait too wasn't it?

With the steel toe, is it possible that they went with a larger size because of the width of your tracing? With my steel toes (they're not Whites, but the same principle applies...), I had to size up a half-size because the widest of my true size wasn't wide enough for my feet. Last shapes being what they are, I had to size up to get the correct width so that my pinky toe wouldn't get shredded by the steel toe cap after a full day of work. 

Yeah, was 9 weeks, 10 weeks to my front door. Now I have to send them back to see if they lasted them right, but didn't get word as to what will happen if they are. By some weird chance my originals are wrong, but fit perfectly and these are lasted properly. But Kyle was the one who recommend the sizes. 

New year, new 'bergs. Navy Latigo Roughout Scouts on the 2030 last with a Vibram Gloxi-Cut sole.

fsKcova.jpg

Jesus - those look incredible...

interesting sole. never seen that one before.

'Was thinking ahead on sole unit replacement, once it's time to re-sole the Christys on my MocToe Chukkas ... NYC pavement is like a giant grindstone. Initially, I was toying on the idea of swapping to either corded soles or ripple__ but, these Gloxi-cuts seem a more sensible, less radical option.

Btw, TheBurreauBelfast has these exact build__ Red Dog Roughout Scout on 110 last.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Man viberg sold the fuck out.

Metaphorically, Viberg is like a virtually unknown underground band we used to follow across town, playing small/intimate gigs .... Now, they've crested, selling out bigger venues, & playing spanking new shit from their new EP/LP. I mean, where'd bands like U2 be if they stuck to their early sounds?! Ans: A "heritage" band__ they wouldn't have had "Joshua Tree", etc, etc.

As a brand, they are starting to get noticed. Brett & company know they got momentum. Armed with that inertia, they're pushing creative boundaries as far as they can get away with, to open up their market base. It's a business after all.

But to be fair, they haven't abandoned anything. They still continue to put out their usual stuff__ @times, on limited availability leathers. With regards to the new stuff they've been churning out, they're basically, adding & mixing components in their "creative bowl", throw those samples on the proverbial wall & see w/c sticks.

After all that's been said, hyped & done, the market will dictate their niche__ how they proceed from there, is entirely up to them, really.

Edited by BrownMetallic

It looks weird because of the angle of the back on the saw blade I am using as a gauge, and the condition of my old boot, but can see the size difference. Didn't even bother putting that boot on as I can clearly see it looks like a clowns boot in the box.

t6YlrVD.jpg

But besides the unwearble issue, these boots are fucking sweet. Wouldn't have gone with cuban heel, but apparently you have to if you want a steel toe which I found kind of odd to be honest. But builds pretty obvious, lace to toe, 8", red dog rough and smooth (love the combos, and had to get the red dog rough out after seeing gnomes and max's)

I've had the Packer, SJ, & SD. SmokeJumpers usually come with unstructured/soft toes. From experience, SD last is a tad longer than the SJ ... i.e., based on actual inside measurements I got on mine.

BH is SD standard last__ so, if you factor in [for sizing consideration] the extra toe room from a higher profiled steel toes [versus SJ soft toes] + the inside length difference between SD vs SJ, it adds up. You side by side photo says it all.

As for the Cuban, that's why it's called "standard". These boots were originally designed for work on standard heels, if you opted on steel toes__ the specs default to [work] standard ... Just logical deduction ... don't know shit about the tech/science aspect of it ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

Happy New Year Guys!

for the last few months of last year I was contemplating picking up a pair of boots in red/burgundy colourway. Lofgren's Donkey Puncher and Flat Head's Medallion Work Boots being the top contenders, with Julian Bowery being a close third. They were all available in Thailand and share similar profiles and price point. Problem was they all retailed about $8-900 here in Thailand, which made the decision to cop them not too easy, and i couldn't really decide which one. 

Then a few days ago Pronto came out with a pretty aggressive White's Deal, with final price being 20-30% cheaper than if i were to order directly from White's themselves or Baker's (White's retails here about 30-40% more expensive than in the States owing to TAX/VAT/profit making imperative). Having touched them all in shops, while of course Japanese-made boots are more impeccably made than White's, the value proposition of White's now became unmatched by any other pairs I was considering. At almost half price cheaper, it was a no brainer. Speaking of which, even if White's aren't as well made aesthetically, they feel like they could take more of a beating than either Lofgren or FH. Well they are real work boots as opposes to fashion boots, so no surprise there.

Since these Bounty Hunter were custom ordered by Pronto, I don't know the exact configuration. They are in Smooth Red Dog leather, single sole, roll top, cap toe with single celastic toe box, vibram 269 sole, antique hook and eyelet. These are 8D, which fits me perfectly. 

Whites%20Boots%20Bounty%20Hunter%20Red%2

Now that i have White's i know what they are all about. Make all my other boots (red wings/oak street/dry bones) and italian/english dress shoe look insubstantial by comparison. my next boots purchase will now be a tough decision, with wanting more White's on the one hand and wanting to try out Wesco/Viberg/etc. on the other. 

Edited by DhaDha

I've had the Packer, SJ, & SD. SmokeJumpers usually come with unstructured/soft toes. From experience, SD last is a tad longer than the SJ ... i.e., based on actual inside measurements I got on mine.

BH is SD standard last__ so, if you factor in [for sizing consideration] the extra toe room from a higher profiled steel toes [versus SJ soft toes] + the inside length difference between SD vs SJ, it adds up. You side by side photo says it all.

As for the Cuban, that's why it's called "standard". These boots were originally designed for work on standard heels, if you opted on steel toes__ the specs default to [work] standard ... Just logical deduction ... don't know shit about the tech/science aspect of it ;)

They're going back to Kyle to see if they're lasted properly which I can almost guarantee they are. But I do agree with you with the interior measurements being a bit longer.

Not sure what you mean about the Cuban heel. But for me it just seems to not be as stable as a block heel, but haven't gotten to work in the Cuban to compare.

Hey boot experts, little question for you - what would you suggest as a good cream/wax/whatever for my boots (Lofgren engineers made from Chromexcel, Flat Head boots made from horsehide)? I've used products like saddle soap, Hubert's shoe grease, and Equus leather conditioner, but none of these give me the shine I've seen in pictures of nicely maintained engineer boots. Any suggestions?

I would say try out some saphir reno or VSC. Saphir is gonna be a bit pricier but i really like how it works on my shell boots and some of my CXL pairs. VSC is what viberg ships their boots with and is what horween recommends for their CXL. 

IMO saphir reno is going to get the glow i think you're after 

Hey boot experts, little question for you - what would you suggest as a good cream/wax/whatever for my boots (Lofgren engineers made from Chromexcel, Flat Head boots made from horsehide)? I've used products like saddle soap, Hubert's shoe grease, and Equus leather conditioner, but none of these give me the shine I've seen in pictures of nicely maintained engineer boots. Any suggestions?

In addition to the Saphir reno, maybe try out some color appropriate paste polish (I use Saphir), it doesn't build quite the same way as hard polish does, but I find on my black and dark brown footwear, it really brings that deep shine, without looking glassy.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...