Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Nice Trickers Volvo! Even after getting to know more and more great footwear makers through you fella's, I still fall for Trackers every time. The English boot/shoe makers have a great balance of ruggedness and refinement. 

Very cool! Have you tried any other WL lasts so you can compare sizes? Wonder if the derby last or the hill last is nicest for shoes. The toe shape on the Hill last looks perfect for my feet..

unfortunately william lennon doens't offer any oxford shoe on the derby boot last. that was what i wanted to order first when I got in touch with them.

they only offer oxford shoes on two different lasts, the hill shoe last and what they call the slim shoe last, which I didn't happen to like at all, as it's just too slim for what i had in mind. here's a pic of the slim shoe

BLACK%20SLIM%20SHOE%202013_zpsy3aj1exe.j

Nice Trickers Volvo! Even after getting to know more and more great footwear makers through you fella's, I still fall for Trackers every time. The English boot/shoe makers have a great balance of ruggedness and refinement. 

Couldn't agree more, they're just the right shoe for almost every occasion. Should I reduce my collection to only one pair that would be the Tricker's, although I have to admit that also the Red Wing IR is a a very versatile boot, and I've been wearing it lots since I got them last year. I find Tricker's work better with narrow hem jeans while RW IR work better with wide hem jeans. OT - I totally hate the look of RW IR worn with tapered narrow hem jeans, which many people happen to favor as of late. It just looks wrong to me. Other have said that before me on this thread but I just feel the need to remind it once again haha!

^^ and are the red wings way longer than all the other boots/shoes?

it's a smidgen longer yeah. all of my shoes are uk10/US 10,5 but for some odd reason RW are labelled EU44/UK10/US11. not at all a problem for me as I just wear all of my boots definitely oversized and then wear a thick insole inside, love that extra bit of room in the toe box, my feet are wide and it's easier to go this way rather than find the EE width. I also find that the shoe shape is nicer this way.

I think these are the hill shoe. If you got the pic from some japanese blog/site they're defo the hillshoe. If you're considering a pair just shoot an email to Libs at WL, she's very helpful and replies quick most of the time.

Edited by volvo240thebest

Thx for all this useful information. I just sent a request to Libs asking for virgin leather, not waxed or oiled ... just like those Butts & Shoulders bags.

Lets wait and see ... although the Hill Shoe will look funny in size 12, I would like to give it a try.

overdRAWn

yes it is. to be honest I think they're quite ugly. Wearing shoes with the shape of Lennon boots seems to me enough of a statement (!), I'd rather stay with their very nice standard range of leathers. From the picture you can see that the soft toe has a little collapsed with wear, nice touch, like it.

William Lennon Oxford hill shoe

waxy tan leather

triple leather soles + vibram antislip

leather lacesF6CC4DE2-22E8-4943-8BB8-B3FD753016C2_zps

crazy looking clown shoes but I do love them! especially with a pair of loose jeans like in here.

these will be hard to break in, they're crazy tough.

Your turn-up is more "bad ass" than mine...

L1011168.jpg

Looks like yours have less turn-up - maybe they flattened out over time or with bigger shoe size is becomes gradually flatter.

Very nice none the less!

I wonder if the turn-up has any kind orthopedic side effects?

They are still "sprung" ... the angle of the pic just not shoe correct.

I think this sprung-toe does not effect your walk or health in any way ... but I am about to purchase MTO William Lennons with the reeeeally sprung up toe ... the Hill Shoes. Just waiting for Libs to confirm my wishes are fulfillable.

Ready for running up those hills ....

overdRAWn

P.S.: currently working on my 8882 Limited Edition Indigo´s ...
8i6UhOb.jpg

I wonder if the turn-up has any kind orthopedic side effects?

Well, erm, yes it does. Everything about the shoes & boots we love so dearly has negative effects on our feet and body as a whole. 

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a shoe & boots whore, but in the past year I've changed my tune considerably. I haven't worn "conventional" shoes for 8+ months now, and on the rare occasion I do I can't stand it - they hurt my feet and and I feel out of sorts all over. It's been a long, slow transition with some aches and pains along the way. 

In general, the whole footwear & insole industry world wide makes billions and billions annually by selling us on the idea that our feet NEED arch support, toe spring (toe lift, rocker, etc.), elevated heels, cushioning, etc. There's a very small minority (maybe 5% I've read) of the general population that "needs" any of that due to physical limitations. We've become accustomed to wearing boots and shoes that act like casts on our feet. Just like taking your arm out of a cast for 3 months after you've broken it. 

The problem with barefoot/minimalist shoes & boots is that they are ugly as f*$k-all, and generally fairly low quality. 

I could paste links to endless articles, but here's a few that I think are key. I certainly don't want to come off as preachy, as I know I'm in the minority in this opinion in this place, so take it what it's worth to you. 

https://nwfootankle.com/files/rossiWhyShoesMakeNormalGaitImpossible.pdf 

This is not a new concept; from 1862: http://refs.ahcuah.com/sciam1.htm

Peruse these at your leisure; 

https://nwfootankle.com/foot-health/drill/2-articles 

http://refs.ahcuah.com/papers/ 

What are you wearing then, mpukas? Five Fingers?

Vevo?

HATE Five Fingers. I wear Vivobarefoot Handcut Porto (brown and black) and Lems Boulder Boot. Lems has some good ideas; but although made in China quality is decent for what they are. I have to post an update on my brown Vivo Porto's that I had resoled w/ Vibram Newporter sole... 

Well, erm, yes it does. Everything about the shoes & boots we love so dearly has negative effects on our feet and body as a whole. 

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a shoe & boots whore, but in the past year I've changed my tune considerably. I haven't worn "conventional" shoes for 8+ months now, and on the rare occasion I do I can't stand it - they hurt my feet and and I feel out of sorts all over. It's been a long, slow transition with some aches and pains along the way. 

In general, the whole footwear & insole industry world wide makes billions and billions annually by selling us on the idea that our feet NEED arch support, toe spring (toe lift, rocker, etc.), elevated heels, cushioning, etc. There's a very small minority (maybe 5% I've read) of the general population that "needs" any of that due to physical limitations. We've become accustomed to wearing boots and shoes that act like casts on our feet. Just like taking your arm out of a cast for 3 months after you've broken it. 

The problem with barefoot/minimalist shoes & boots is that they are ugly as f*$k-all, and generally fairly low quality. 

I could paste links to endless articles, but here's a few that I think are key. I certainly don't want to come off as preachy, as I know I'm in the minority in this opinion in this place, so take it what it's worth to you. 

https://nwfootankle.com/files/rossiWhyShoesMakeNormalGaitImpossible.pdf

This is not a new concept; from 1862: http://refs.ahcuah.com/sciam1.htm

Peruse these at your leisure; 

https://nwfootankle.com/foot-health/drill/2-articles

http://refs.ahcuah.com/papers/

I hear ya. There's tradeoffs in all of our footwear choices. I suffered a knee injury and during the rehab, read up on the science (or lack thereof) behind footwear. I trained hard barefoot & in minimalist shoes for a few years to rebuild my feet. I was able to run faster, jump higher, and felt good in general. It literally took years of re-training to get to a point where I could do a vertical jump and stick a landing barefoot without feeling pain. My foot shape and shoe size changed a bit, so it was a great opportunity to go out and buy the shoes and boots I'd always wanted to own. 

Nowadays, I mix it up. I run and work out in NB minimus, but otherwise I rotate through all my footwear. Every day, just before bed, I take 5-10 minutes and do some mobility work on my feet and legs. I'm pretty happy with that balance.

Apologies for derailing this excellent thread with my enthusiasm for foot-friendly footwear... 

Here's a good video showing the downsides to basketball shoes and the negative effects they have on feet, as well as on the body's overall athletic performance. The problem areas he discusses with basketball shoes can be related to any foot wear, and the impacts on the feet and body are generally the same. 

I've learned a lot from reading and listen to Dr Ray McClanahan. I've even bought his CorrectToes and wear them nearly everyday with Injinji toe socks. I have noticed some positive changes in my own feet/toes, but not sure how much more they will get "corrected". 

Here's another good video demonstrating the transition from running with conventional footwear to running with barefoot shoes. 

If you search YouTube for barefoot running videos, and watch some analysis of the best elite runners, even those athletes that wear shoes with slightly elevated heels are still running with a forefoot strike and a long back leg stride. 

This is an extrapolation totally on my part, but the idea about heel striking when running can be applied to walking. We've been programmed to believe (due to wearing shoes with elevated, padded heels) that we're supposed to extend our leading leg forward in front of the hip and land with our heel first and then roll forward onto the ball of the foot. This is not a natural movement pattern. When barefoot running or walking, the the leading leg does not extend past the hip, rather the trailing leg extends farther backwards, and the forward foot lands with more emphasis on the forefoot than the heel. The ankles and knees will flex to about shock and prevent trauma due to impact. Otherwise there's a risk on injuring your heel. 

For years and years I bought into the supportive insole and footwear BS, especially White's whole schpeal on the "natural phenomenon" of the foot being at a certain angle when relaxed when one leg is crossed over the other, White's arch to alleviate fatigue, blah blah blah. If your feet hurt when you don't wear supportive footwear, it's because your feet are accustomed to wearing supportive footwear. You feet and body will adapt to what you throw at it, for better or worse. 

Now I look at that as complete and utter BS and a marketing scam that's endured over 100 years. I LOVE White's, Nick's, Wesco and all the other great boot makers - and especially some of the Japanese Engineer boot interpretations. I wish they would apply their superior crafting skills to footwear that is lighter, flat - zero drop/no elevated heel - with no arch support or cushioning/padding, and a wider, foot shaped toe box. 

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...