Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Figured this would be the most appropriate place for these.

John Lofgren Dessau hightop sneakers!

DXUldW4.jpg

Came in a great box:

pt3Awwj.jpg

Nice, clean stitching: DKdoqu3.jpg

Neat Self Edge print on the inside of each shoe, not noticeable with jeans on at all:

Jc1Y6Q5.jpg

The cupped heel on these makes them very comfortable a sturdy. This is an area that started to break down a lot on my Converse 70's, but I'm not exactly sure why it happened.

ZSoup55.jpg

Gum colored rubber soles. Would be cool to see a version of these hightops with a gum outsole too!

rMCF5eO.jpg

Here they are next to my old Converse 70's, size 11.5. I've worn them a ton and beaten them up over the last year and a half, and the John Lofgren's feel like a big step up quality wise while still having the same profile and shape. Looking forward to how they break in! Also notice how long the 70's shoestrings are compared to the Dessau's, probably my one pet peeve about them...

vXJgYgj.jpg

I don't know where to ask this so I hope this is okay.

I don't have experience with the premium shoe/boot brands in this topic but I have been wearing Chevalier and Sagara boots from Indonesia (both <200USD). The prior is Rapid Blake stitched while the latter is hand welted according to the sellers. My question is about the stacked leather (or maybe it is synthetic) midsoles and soles used on both pairs. After wearing both a bit, I noticed that the layers are sort of bulging out a little with compression that it is not smooth anymore when you hold the sides of the boots. Would this be a sign of cheap(er) materials or is this normal?

First real pair of boots. Nicks, Whites, or Wescos. I need something more work boot than casual boot. Ive found myself almost never wearing sneakers anymore and always wearing boots. I need a pair thats going to handle some abuse im pretty hard on shoes my job requires me to constantly be moving and standing.

Can anyone who has a pair of jobmasters and bounty hunters chime in and let me know which one they prefer and why?

Edited by itschrisb

Finally decided to put through an order with Rancourt for some 5-eye moccasin boots in repello suede. I've had a few pairs of Quoddys for 3 - 4 years now and all 3 are going to need a little work (restitch or resole) soon, so I figured I should have some casual mocs that I can wear when all 3 of these are back in Maine getting tuned up. My wife has a pair of their boat shoes that I managed to get for her on eBay, brand new, for $30 shipped, and they are super well made, so I'm looking forward to getting my own, even if they cost more than 10x as much as hers. Will post pics when they come in in a few weeks.

Finally decided to put through an order with Rancourt for some 5-eye moccasin boots in repello suede. I've had a few pairs of Quoddys for 3 - 4 years now and all 3 are going to need a little work (restitch or resole) soon, so I figured I should have some casual mocs that I can wear when all 3 of these are back in Maine getting tuned up. My wife has a pair of their boat shoes that I managed to get for her on eBay, brand new, for $30 shipped, and they are super well made, so I'm looking forward to getting my own, even if they cost more than 10x as much as hers. Will post pics when they come in in a few weeks.

From what I hear rancourt construction is piss poor. You might wanna spend the little bit extra for a quality brand

Actually, from what I've seen, they're pretty well made. My wife has had a pair for awhile, and there haven't been any issues. Quoddy refused to do some simple work on one of my pairs that I have from them, so I figured I'd try someone new.

William Lennon Oxford hill shoe

waxy tan leather

triple leather soles + vibram antislip

leather laces

F6CC4DE2-22E8-4943-8BB8-B3FD753016C2_zps

crazy looking clown shoes but I do love them! especially with a pair of loose jeans like in here.

these will be hard to break in, they're crazy tough.

Trickers after some TLC, treated them with leather oil Rapide, using a microfiber horse sponge. they're getting into their 17th winter of service!

106BFAAD-35B0-424C-A771-9939C163CB98_zps

B1A9580D-7732-4DAF-A899-FD70ED473B1E_zps

winter shoe rotation

07FD206D-35C0-4DD3-A70B-56B50818A06A_zps

left to right

priere longwings

Tricker's William

rw IR 8111

William Lennon hillshoes

Very nice collection!

Loving the lift of the Lennon's - similar to the older Viberg lasts, but with a different toe box shape. Looking forward to see them break-in...

it'll take ages! they're made in such a way that the upper don't flex almost at all! the triple sole is bent towards the toe also for that purpose I think. Anyway despite they might look uncomfortable I have to say they're very comfy.

^

Literally, "Sprung Toe" = Rock&Roll ;)

Rather than flex, when u walk, it rolls & [once broken in] slightly springs u forward to the next stride.

Also, due to the last shape, u won't get much vamp creasing :)

Edit:

'Been spoiled w/ effortless break ins from White's, Viberg, Tricker's, etc.

'Got the Waxed Reversed Kip, w/c is the thickest, most substantial leather they offer. Interesting experience &, for the record, the toughest break in I've ever encountered ... like breaking in a pair of ATVs__ but, for the life of me, I could not make myself to drop them .... like being masochistically attached to them, like a pair of natty indigo, heavy-ozer RAWs, I gotta to see them all the way through__ even if it takes 4evar :)

Edited by BrownMetallic

Very cool! Have you tried any other WL lasts so you can compare sizes? Wonder if the derby last or the hill last is nicest for shoes. The toe shape on the Hill last looks perfect for my feet..

William Lennon Oxford hill shoe
waxy tan leather
triple leather soles + vibram antislip
leather laces

F6CC4DE2-22E8-4943-8BB8-B3FD753016C2_zps

crazy looking clown shoes but I do love them! especially with a pair of loose jeans like in here.
these will be hard to break in, they're crazy tough.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...