Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have a pair of Hender Scheme 04's that I assumed would look significantly better after some wear... but after three months they just look kinda ridiculous. The suede that lines the sole is peeling and rolling, the outsole itself is super pockmarked and slippery, and the uppers are a strange pinkish-tan.. definitely not the color I imagined as a transition from the new off-white to the bronze color I've seen worn pairs take on.

P9150139.jpg

P9150140.jpg

I would just oil them, but they don't really need it...

I was indeed referring to stuff like hender, buttero and other leather sneakers that should become better with wear. Shame the henders didn't came out the way you like. I think henders would look better with wear if they had a better sole.

I would've loved to get a pair of argo's, a collab between indonesian leather brand voyej and havehad a sneakerbrand. Their first collab used veg tanned leather like hender but I like their simplistic design more, unfortunatelly I was to late to buy one. They have a second collab releasing this week but they use a different design and cxl leather. I wish they just remade their first design

Edited by greathoudini

^ Tnx.

Honestly, I prefer the aesthetics of the "Carpenter". I had a pair of "Hunter" w/c I liked, but so sadly I mis-sized.

@ 1st sight, the Wireman looked inexplicably odd & "stiff" looking, IRL ... But, as they break in & take on some contour, I'm getting to like them more ... & the more I like them, the more they'll get worn ... the more they get worn, the more they'll look better, etc., etc.

BrownMetallic, how'd your heavy boots comp. boots turn out? I cant recall the make at the moment...

The WL T.O.W., you mean !? ... The back burner, momentarily.

I thought the Dayton Drivers were already hard to break in__ wore the TOWs @round 12mos = 6mos effective wear & only seem to scratch the surface. The combination of triple leather soles & thick ass Waxed Reverse Kip were such hardcore.

But, I haven't given up ... not done w/ them yet,

'Twas just bad timing__ spent too much time on them, while the Vibergs & Trickers were on the sideline, begging for some attention :)

Here's the last snap: @1yr

6039E267-B162-4C1D-BDD3-67A970B434F7.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

EVO Update: William Lennon "Tug Of War"

Might as well take a few iPhone snaps in the soft morning light__ to show what I'm meant about the leather.

A year later, leather is more pliant & rubbery. Still steeped in wax that everything [dirt, grime, scuff, etc.] just wipes right off a wet cloth. Up-keep is, basically, brushing the dirt off__ no oiling/conditioning necessary even @this point. Pretty low maintenance ... just replace the heel taps when they wear down, that's all.

The triple leather sole won't prolly flex anytime soon, if ever. The functional "sprung" toes roll on every stride :)

I like how these boots seem unapologetic for being crass & unattractive ... So, punk :)

0140001A-5428-4212-B2F0-58929C797DD9_1.j

68FCBBB5-574F-4BF4-B3E5-E2CDEDDD126B_1.j

EDDCF8A4-6CA0-46C1-BF05-AA10BE350A8E_1.j

^^ Hoggy's right__ Go TTS as Trickers 4497 on the length ... & yeah, only G-width.

If I can do it over, I'd go unstructured toe, or at least, a partial. Sizing right on WL is very crucial. Stretching the vamp is not an option ... at least, not on my "Tug Of War" on thick ass Waxed Reverse Kip leather. Also, toes seemed to be double-reinforced cuz they were really stiff.

1st time was like slipping into a pair of Chinese "Lotus Shoes"

Btw, mine were also triple leather soles, but opted on rubber half sole topys.WL2.jpglennonTOW.jpgTOWshaft.jpg

No BACKSTAYs

Edited by BrownMetallic

I got my 2 year old Wolverine 1k's back from the cobbler.  I initially went in to just get half soles on my new boots because I thought it would be too expensive to repair the soles on my old ones.  I took zero care of these boots and the leather sole was coming off the bottom and was dissolved in some areas from snow/ice/salt.  So I figured it would be a scrap job.  He said he could do it for about $70 so I took him up on it.  Wish I took some before/after shots (especially before he added the half sole to see the workmanship) but they look brand new on the bottom.  It is really amazing work.

The next few are my new Wolverine 1K's the limited run shell cordovan.  These are the 721 (wingtip) model.  I really like them.  These were made by Allen Edmonds instead of Wolverine so the last and some details are different between these and the standard issue 1K Addisons like my previous ones (smaller wingtip, 360 welt, narrower, etc)

.tLfeLEC.jpg?1DEeth8h.jpg?1cynBF5m.jpg?1s56m2AK.jpg?1QE5lS3z.jpg?1

Evo Update: Dayton "Milkman" Driver 5y/o+ :: I know steeze is not for every1 :: Corded Biltrite Neoprene soles & heels :: Recently got its very 1st re-heel__ too bad cudnt find Biltrites to replace.

9EBE2CCC-D541-4F6D-8AA2-46547C361123.jpg

0275431A-5DB7-4DD0-8BB4-AD5E89992F0E.jpg

5D143B6A-048F-49B3-A7C5-BF01F63A1D5F.jpg

Out-Of-The-Box:

x261.jpg

x263.jpg

84A48FA0-60F6-40E9-B63C-CFC77F645780.png

The Drivers & TOWs are like hard-wearing, hardcore PunkSoleBrothers__ they give my other boots the stiff middle finger :)

92618881-9AFC-4DD7-B21A-D7ED9C045DF6.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Awesome! Where did you get the old ones?

Hi. Found in a secondhand market a few years ago. Here's another photograph where you can appreciate the difference in lasts and also the Coniston stormwelt vs the older model classic welt:

img_8713.jpg

And below two different models of Lotus Veldtschoen boots, both made with Martin's Zug leather:

The first one from the 50's:

img_2610.jpg

The second one, from the 40's:

img_2914.jpg

Edited by tamyom

^ SF has a thread devoted to Artisinal creations. Fab boots__ expensive, tho__ mostly north of 800 mark. Had an Augusta Horsehide a few years back, but realized I just don't have the lifestyle nor wardrobe to pursue & support such [trend].

http://www.styleforum.net/t/248835/the-official-artisanal-streetwear-footwear-boots-shoes-sandals-thread-guidi-ccp-augusta-m-a-m-moria-carpe-diem-etc

Edited by BrownMetallic

Sorely tempted! I'd be looking at a 43, I think, some possibility of a size or so larger through pre-orders but I'm not certain. 

Two principle retailers are essence-web and mindtrive

Glad you like them. If you're interested, a few other Japanese brands to have a look at are Devoa (from designer Daisuke Nishida), WJK (founded by Jun Hasimoto before his leaving to start up under his own name) and Lien.

You could say with some truth that their footwear at least is inspired by the original, Carpe Diem, in turn which gave way to the other artisanal Italian creations from M_Moira (Maurizio Altieri, founder of CD), MA+ (Maurizio Amadei) Augusta/A1923 (Simone Cecchetto - formerly of CD), Guidi and Layer-0 (Alessio Zero) to name a few.

There's others of course, loads of info on the net. But of little interest here..!  :D

edit - small correction to differentiate between Maurizio Altieri and Maurizio Amadei. Oops. That'd get me stoned!

Hey hog, beautiful KKA boots, too bad they don't make them for bigger feet! I'm glad to see you mention "The Italians" here, because I think there is some overlap in aesthetic that is worth thinking about. They tend to experiment with leather treatments and different leathers more, which is really interesting to me (my a1923 black kudu backzip boots are heavy, extremely well-made, and completely badass), but they do drift into a more "ethereal" aesthetic from time to time as well. 

As BrownMetallic mentioned, the lifestyle can be different, but I have a number of "baller" boots that wear really well with my Stevenson, Strike Gold,  and Iron Heart jeans and my seemingly endless supply (per my s.o.) of IH shirts.

Included here for yucks is a picture of my (newer) m_moriabc black shell cordovan workboot (all of his boots are shell, which might in part explain the recent "scarcity" of shell that Alden et al. talk about) next to my (older) Alden black shell workbook. Gotta say I'm much more attracted to the  m_moriabc boot. And dude uses wooden fucking nails in the soles. Can't even fathom.

To get completely caught up in one or the other seems limited to me.

IMG_3331.jpg

These are pretty badass.  I've always admired them from a distance, but don't think I am quite cool enough to pull them off...  Plus, a little too much heel for me. But really cool nevertheless.

Remind me what TOW boots are..?

Evo Update: Dayton "Milkman" Driver 5y/o+ :: I know steeze is not for every1 :: Corded Biltrite Neoprene soles & heels :: Recently got its very 1st re-heel__ too bad cudnt find Biltrites to replace.

0275431A-5DB7-4DD0-8BB4-AD5E89992F0E.jpg

The Drivers & TOWs are like hard-wearing, hardcore PunkSoleBrothers__ they give my other boots the stiff middle finger :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...