Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Why not check out one of the British boot makers, like Trickers? 

I've looked at Trickers quite a bit, but not really sure where to find some of the more attractive make-ups. 

I love these plain toe Burford boots, but unfortunately they are on a double leather sole. Need something more beefy for Sapporo weather.

Another option for boots that can be worn casually and dressed up for work might be Alfred Sargent:

http://www.shoehealer.co.uk/alfred-sargent/exclusive-collection

I haven't worn them myself but people have good things to say about their footwear. Ordering from outside the UK, you won't end up paying as much as for Alden or Viberg either. If you do settle on Vibergs, I think their calf or latigo leather boots would look better in a work setting than natural CXL but that's my taste.

I've looked at Trickers quite a bit, but not really sure where to find some of the more attractive make-ups. 

I love these plain toe Burford boots, but unfortunately they are on a double leather sole. Need something more beefy for Sapporo weather.

I love that plain toe Burford too. One of the best looking boots around, hands down, IMO. 

When I get boots/shoes with a leather outsole, I bring them to a cobbler and have a Vibram mini-lug half sole, or something similar, put on. It's just glued and tacked on, and will eventually wear out. it's easy to repair and preserves the integrity of the leather sole, prolonging the life of the boot/shoe. I've done it on many pairs. 

Red Wing makes a great boot don't get me wrong, but I guess I should have mentioned that I need a shoe that can be worn casually and also dressed up for work. Alden is one of the few that can comfortably straddle that line and thus provide a little more versatility than a typical workboot.

That said, I'm MUCH more apt to spend my money on Alden's shell cordovan offerings than their chromexcel, though I do have a pair of Natural CXL longwings and Color 8 longwings and I absolutely adore them. Shell cordovan is truly fantastic stuff. I may just end up finding a nice shell boot with commando sole instead.

Alden def. resides in that realm between dress and casual very well.  I dont mean to knock them, as Im happily wearing my rough out indy's with zero regret.  I just get a bit miffed at the relatively recent price hike many "Heritage" brands are enjoying, but still letting the typical QC things pass.  Shit, even Whites is blowing it on that regard some of the time.  In a perfect world, these "heritage" brands would step up their game as their prices rise.

...  I just get a bit miffed at the relatively recent price hike many "Heritage" brands are enjoying, but still letting the typical QC things pass.  Shit, even Whites is blowing it on that regard some of the time.  In a perfect world, these "heritage" brands would step up their game as their prices rise.

100% agreed. 

I sort am/used to be a big Chippewa fan, even though I've always know they are at the lower end of the quality scale for this arena. They've recently started selling on-line directly to the public, and had a price hike of around $20-$40 across the board. After seeing what the lowers of my 1901M49 Engineer boots looked like when Brian pulled them apart, I'm shocked and pissed that they even charged as much as they did before the price hike. 

These "heritage" brands are also touting the Made in the USA banner as if their quality is somehow supposed to be better than any other country making boots/shoes. Even my made in Vietnam Blundstone's are better quality than my Chippewa 6" service boots. 

That's interesting to hear about the Chippewa service boot. I am close to getting a pair, toying between them or Oak Street Bootmakers. The OSB in black CXL with commando sole   are beauties. I quite like the beckman or beckman wingtips although I feel the OSB are higher quality?

Alden def. resides in that realm between dress and casual very well.  I dont mean to knock them, as Im happily wearing my rough out indy's with zero regret.  I just get a bit miffed at the relatively recent price hike many "Heritage" brands are enjoying, but still letting the typical QC things pass.  Shit, even Whites is blowing it on that regard some of the time.  In a perfect world, these "heritage" brands would step up their game as their prices rise.

You can't really draw such conclusions off of just the Indy boot. It's one of their 'lower end' models and doesn't speak for the rest of their offerings. I frequent the Alden thread over on Styleforum, and I rarely see any issues with QC unless the buyer purchased their shoes from a retailer like J Crew who have very lenient to nonexistent try-on policies.

Most other Alden resellers are extremely strict about try-ons and won't accept returns if there is the slightest evidence of damage or creasing to the shoes. You can't really blame Alden as a company for these QC issues, since they really have no control over the shittier resellers like J Crew. If you wan't quality, buy from a quality re-seller or straight from a store like Alden of Carmel or SF.

Then I guess I would ask you to clarify what QC issues you're referring to. Garden nomes said theyve only owned Indy boots, so I'm curious how they're able to draw those conclusions.

The subreddit of goodyearwelt for one. They post up reviews and album of close up images of said shoes. From what I usually see all the QC issues are by and large cosmetic like scuffs, nicks, uneven stiching or broguing, discoloration, and stuff like that. Nothing that affects the construction of the shoe just the look. Considering the price point, especially shell cordovan, I can see where people might be more critical of what they see. There's a butt load of shell cordovan reviews over there.

That being said, Jcrew is one of the retailers they buy from and have said blemishes. They also tend to gravitate towards Alden's boot models.

You can't really draw such conclusions off of just the Indy boot. It's one of their 'lower end' models and doesn't speak for the rest of their offerings. I frequent the Alden thread over on Styleforum, and I rarely see any issues with QC unless the buyer purchased their shoes from a retailer like J Crew who have very lenient to nonexistent try-on policies.

Most other Alden resellers are extremely strict about try-ons and won't accept returns if there is the slightest evidence of damage or creasing to the shoes. You can't really blame Alden as a company for these QC issues, since they really have no control over the shittier resellers like J Crew. If you wan't quality, buy from a quality re-seller or straight from a store like Alden of Carmel or SF.

I work 2 blocks away from the Alden SF store. I stop by to handle their stuff often.  Even their shell shoes have QC issues.  Visible flaws that should not be there. 

edit* and by QC issues, I usually refer to wonky stitching and the like.  Its nothing that should affect the wear of the shoe, but its there nonetheless.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

Well then, I stand corrected. I guess I should be a little more informed/critical of shoes I'm spending seven bills on!

I don't notice these things, or I just don't care enough to look. Makes my pair unique, and I plan to scuff them up and wear them out on my own anyway  :D

That's interesting to hear about the Chippewa service boot. I am close to getting a pair, toying between them or Oak Street Bootmakers. The OSB in black CXL with commando sole   are beauties. I quite like the beckman or beckman wingtips although I feel the OSB are higher quality?

I was really considering those OSB trench boots in natty cxl, but it seems like the toe box is really wide and tends to duck bill with wear. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe the cap toe would look nicer, but they don't make that with a non-leather sole iirc.

Edited by An Oxymoron

With regard to pricing, it's worth noting that Aldens are all not only made in the US but also in a unionized shop.  I do think made in US or north America generally results in higher quality in boots than those made in China (not probably those made in Japan, but then the pricing is comparable). But the labor costs are of course MUCH more than made in China boots, which helps explain pricing.  Red Wing has its made in the US heritage line (quality seems good but not great), but it also has a very large made in China production that no doubt helps to subsidize the company.  Alden does not.  Nor does Viberg or White's (though of course White's is now owned by a Japanese co).   Whether or not unions matter, or wages more generally, is up to each of us to decide; but cost is not just a question of quality.

Well then, I stand corrected. I guess I should be a little more informed/critical of shoes I'm spending seven bills on!

I don't notice these things, or I just don't care enough to look. Makes my pair unique, and I plan to scuff them up and wear them out on my own anyway  :D

I was really considering those OSB trench boots in natty cxl, but it seems like the toe box is really wide and tends to duck bill with wear. I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe the cap toe would look nicer, but they don't make that with a non-leather sole iirc.

You can email them about doing custom, they charge only a little more, depending on the details. I custom ordered a trench boot a while back and it took exactly 6 weeks to come to my home (I am in europe).

These "heritage" brands are also touting the Made in the USA banner as if their quality is somehow supposed to be better than any other country making boots/shoes. Even my made in Vietnam Blundstone's are better quality than my Chippewa 6" service boots. 

Mpukas or anyone have any feedback on the Chippewa service boot quality? Any pics of worn in pairs of OSB CXL trench boots would also be greatly appreciated 

Mpukas or anyone have any feedback on the Chippewa service boot quality? Any pics of worn in pairs of OSB CXL trench boots would also be greatly appreciated 

Bump

why you segregating us fam? we all sufu in here 

true dat. let's take it to the next level and post pictures of feet that look better with age.

Just saw this... 

Quality of Chippewa 1901M29 6" Service Boot in Crazy Horse leather is OK. I do think it's the best looking 6" boot out there - personally I like the look better than Redwing. Don't care for 1k at all. The front 1/2 of the boot is lined with some sort of synthetic fabric, not leather. After seeing what Brian pulled out of my 1901M49 Engineer boots, it's kinda of shocking that the welt isn't even real leather. 

I'm not a fan of the synthetic cork outsole. It seems durable, but also cheap. I've worn them hard for a few weeks to break them in. Overall they are very comfortable, and although they look like a normal width, they are plenty wide for my forefoot without looking like duckfeet. Brian also showed me pics of the filler they use, and it's not cork - it looks like recycled carpet pad. I have/had one issue under the ball of my left foot getting a blister when they where new, and it felt like sole was creasing there instead of bending smoothly. It's not a problem now. 

Another high point is the flat waxed laces they come with are great. 

Oh yeah - I purchased one pair through Amazon, and the left boot had a funny bump under the left heel that I immediately felt just trying them on. I contacted Amazon, and they had another pair over-nighted - even before I had a chance to return the first pair - directly from Zappo's. The new pair does not have any such issues.  

Overall, I like them. I'm just a little disappointed on some of the finer quality issues. Stitch quality is good, with the exception of one botched welt stitch at the left toe - I didn't want to bother with returning another pair, so I live with it. I do think they are over-priced for what they are. But then again, they are in-line with all of the other offerings from US makers. I suggest if you can find the style/color/size combo on Amazon, hold out for one of their sales. 

http://20150518_171422_zpszfjd7oaq.jpg

http://20150518_171431_zpsx0uiagwm.jpg

http://20150518_171450_zpsmogfxxb3.jpg

http://20150518_171505_zpsp80lssfn.jpg

Cheers Mpukas. I have a the RW 6 inch round toe in rust so am looking for a nice black boot. Tied between OSB (yet to see how a worn pair look ) chippewa service boot or a redwing beckman or even the beckman wingtips

21 posts in 6 years i wonder how many of em are dedicated to feet

since you're peeping my profile, you tell me -- i'm certain you read all my posts.

i didn't peep your profile, it shows how many posts you have right below your avatar. you're not nearly important enough for me to strain the muscles in my finger to click on your profile and you smell like shit

(ps your raw denim prob have wack fades and you prob dry them in a drier hahahahahahahahh noob)

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...