Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Just an AEO (American Eagle Outfitters) boots similar to the Clarks Bushacre, one of the low-end brands?

But I like the construction, fit and comfort (despite having a very hard sole made of synthetic rubber).

It is canvass lined

10514475_10206742796914555_1584672976397

11118367_10206742797154561_7536463330161

Pretty decent leather material

11014915_10206742797314565_1749864606911

It has 3-pair eyelets (most desert boots have two pairs) and the metal eyelets can only be seen from the inside

11156280_10206742797554571_5967387260050

I prefer this kind of sole as opposed to the crepe sole...

10462935_10206742797714575_2040876037653

I hope these age well :)

Edited by mf051404

to go along with my last post, does anyone have a suggestion as to what suede protector i should use on them? its still pretty rainy here in washington

Not worn suede boots in thirty years , they were the boot choice for my school uniform in the before time . What I did back than was give them a squirt of scotchguard from one of those pressure cans they use for fabric furniture , if I recall it also made a big difference keeping them clean .

WIngs & Horns X Dayton/ Viberg Chicago Tan Latigo Service Boots/ AE Shell Macneils

VUyurcg.jpg

vzPrEJY.jpg

Viberg's on a mountain peak in Sydney Australia (my new home)

VXi6tGb.jpg

WWII Impression Boondockers

70rssJp.jpg

Not pictured in my current collection are my Wings & Horns X Vibergs which i need to get some pics of soon...

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a nice pair of boots. Ive previously owned Red Wings, Chips, and Allen Edmonds. All of them are great but i think its time to step up my shoe game and dip into the next level of boots. What are everyones suggestions for a pair of boots i can wear a lot that will be comfortable and take a beating. Im going to try on Alden Indy boots tomorrow and see how they feel/fit. Id say my price cap is right around the price of Aldens.

I'd say that the Alden Indy boot fits your description of a comfortable boot that can be worn a lot and take a beating. I find that my pair are extremely comfortable and the style is versatile enough that they can be worn with a variety of different outfits from smart casual office wear to beaten up jeans. They look good both scrubbed-up or really hammered.

You might also look into White's Semi Dress if you want a more ''built'' look to your footwear. 

I've been eyeing up the indy boot for forever now and a few stores near me carry Them so I can try them on no problem. I was thinking about whites I just wish I could try them on because my right foot is a problem in almost any shoe I own which is why I'm hoping if I up my standards I'll get a better fit.

Edited by itschrisb

Stopped in this store to try on the Indy boots, unfortunately they didn't have half sizes or widths and although the 10D felt good I know at the end of the day the 9.5E would feel way better so I didn't end up grabbing them.

But they had a pair of red wing 9111 on sale in my size so I grabbed those. I haven't even really been looking into red wings lately but these pretty much fit the need to replace my beat up chippewa apaches. First time having a wedge sole which I've been dying to have. Looking forward to beating these up!

2015-05-07%2007.13.45%201.jpg

Consensus seems to be the Aldens. Cheers, I'll give them a shot.

Both are overpriced for what they are. 

Saying that - Alden. 

I agree they're expensive, but can you show me a cheaper boot with equal quality and craftsmanship, and a 'commando' or equivalent sole? Alden shoes last a very very long time, so factoring in the amount of use they see, the price is negligible. 

Alden doesnt  scream craftsmanship though.  Yes they are well made but in the price point they reside, I feel they should tighten up their QC.  I think the RedWing boot with the commando sole, whatever its called now, is a "better" buy.  Dont get me wrong, I love my Indy's and like you said, they will last so at some point the extra cost gets covered by longevity.  That said, we get really meta on these kinds of things.  Your average consumer will buy some Aldens and be pleased beyond belief with their style, construction etc.  Its the maniacs like us who notice minute QC things and bitch about it online :)

A semi-custom pair of Wesco's, White's or Nick's will about the same price as Alden's and better quality, IMO, and less expensive than Viberg. 

Viberg is in the same league as and has the same roots as Wesco, White's & Nick's, and their prices are much higher for no apparent reason. 

I wasn't familiar with Alden until hanging out here. I've tried on the Indy's, and while they certainly are nice, the fake toe stitching drives me crazy - can't stand it, but that's just me. I've since learned that it wasn't that long ago - like maybe 5 years ago - that the Indy was selling for around $305. Now they are $535+ for the same exact boot. Saying all that, I do really like the Cordovan version, with a real hand stitched toe, and their Tru Balance last is very awesome. 

+1 to what Gnomes said about Redwing - prolly the best buy for the $$$. 

In your neck of the woods, I'd also recommend looking into Sagara and Santalum - truly hand made boots in Indonesia. Also, if you can order from Japan, look into Toys McCoy. Their Surveyor boot is the cream of the crop, in my book. Never seen them in person, and they may have glued-on ribbing (don't know), but knowing how the Japanese are so fanatical about quality craftsmanship, these look amazing in all the pics I've been looking at. 

this is all true, but the price increase could technically be justified cause they started using leather liner. I bought mine in 2007 and they came with the cambrelle lining - which sucks. There were also internet claims I had read about them upping the foot balance line to Alden New England standards which are apparently higher. 

that being said I've seen recent 405s and can't say they're any better than my foot balance 405s and I probably wouldn't have bought my 405s in 2007 if they cost me $584. I paid $275 and I wouldn't pay more than that even today. 

A semi-custom pair of Wesco's, White's or Nick's will about the same price as Alden's and better quality, IMO, and less expensive than Viberg. 

Viberg is in the same league as and has the same roots as Wesco, White's & Nick's, and their prices are much higher for no apparent reason. 

I wasn't familiar with Alden until hanging out here. I've tried on the Indy's, and while they certainly are nice, the fake toe stitching drives me crazy - can't stand it, but that's just me. I've since learned that it wasn't that long ago - like maybe 5 years ago - that the Indy was selling for around $305. Now they are $535+ for the same exact boot. Saying all that, I do really like the Cordovan version, with a real hand stitched toe, and their Tru Balance last is very awesome. 

+1 to what Gnomes said about Redwing - prolly the best buy for the $$$. 

In your neck of the woods, I'd also recommend looking into Sagara and Santalum - truly hand made boots in Indonesia. Also, if you can order from Japan, look into Toys McCoy. Their Surveyor boot is the cream of the crop, in my book. Never seen them in person, and they may have glued-on ribbing (don't know), but knowing how the Japanese are so fanatical about quality craftsmanship, these look amazing in all the pics I've been looking at. 

look into Toys McCoy. Their Surveyor boot is the cream of the crop, in my book. Never seen them in person, and they may have glued-on ribbing (don't know), but knowing how the Japanese are so fanatical about quality craftsmanship, these look amazing in all the pics I've been looking at.

Yeah, Toys McCoy is a fantastic shout. The surveyor boots are on my wish list but I dread to think what the customs charge would be to get them into Europe.

Alden doesnt  scream craftsmanship though.  Yes they are well made but in the price point they reside, I feel they should tighten up their QC.  I think the RedWing boot with the commando sole, whatever its called now, is a "better" buy.  Dont get me wrong, I love my Indy's and like you said, they will last so at some point the extra cost gets covered by longevity.  That said, we get really meta on these kinds of things.  Your average consumer will buy some Aldens and be pleased beyond belief with their style, construction etc.  Its the maniacs like us who notice minute QC things and bitch about it online :)

Red Wing makes a great boot don't get me wrong, but I guess I should have mentioned that I need a shoe that can be worn casually and also dressed up for work. Alden is one of the few that can comfortably straddle that line and thus provide a little more versatility than a typical workboot.

That said, I'm MUCH more apt to spend my money on Alden's shell cordovan offerings than their chromexcel, though I do have a pair of Natural CXL longwings and Color 8 longwings and I absolutely adore them. Shell cordovan is truly fantastic stuff. I may just end up finding a nice shell boot with commando sole instead.

Edited by An Oxymoron

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...